Profit or Loss

Borescope

Veteran
Jan 10, 2003
United Air parent's loss widens on fuel costs
Monday May 8, 10:22 am ET
By Kyle Peterson

CHICAGO (Reuters) - UAL Corp. (NasdaqNM:UAUA - News), parent of United Airlines, on Monday said its first-quarter loss increased by 1.3 percent as the company grappled with record high fuel prices.
ADVERTISEMENT

But the No. 2 U.S. airline said that with the inclusion of special reorganization items, it had a $23 billion profit. In past quarters, one-time reorganization items accounted for staggering quarterly losses.

UAL, which exited bankruptcy on February 1, said its loss, excluding the reorganization benefits, for the full quarter widened to $306 million from $302 million a year earlier.

The company did not provide results on a per share basis for the full quarter because it issued fresh shares on Nasdaq when it emerged from bankruptcy. The company reported a loss of $1.95 per share in the two months ended March 31.

Wall Street analysts had a average forecast for a loss of $1.73 per share, according to Reuters Estimates.

"The big question mark obviously remains the fuel. This is still a painfully large loss for the quarter," said Chris Lozier, equity analyst at Morningstar.

"Who knows what crude could do?" he said. "(Rising) ticket prices are helping, but we don't count on those going up much in the short term."

UAL shares were down 77 cents, or 2 percent, at $38.17 in early trade.

The company said its emergence from bankruptcy resulted in a new reporting entity and that its first-quarter results before February 1 combined with those after February 1 do not necessarily provide comparable data to previous quarters.

The company said that including primarily noncash reorganization gains, it earned $23 billion in the first quarter. That profit is due to the "discharge of liabilities" as the company exited bankruptcy, UAL said.

The discharge of liabilities relates to unsecured claims arising from the bankruptcy process, such as the termination of the company's defined benefit pension plans and aircraft-related claims.

The airline said its total revenue increased by 14 percent to $4.47 billion. UAL ended the quarter with an unrestricted cash balance of $3.6 billion.

"The improved revenue environment essentially compensated for record high fuel expense," UAL's Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said in a statement.

The airline industry has suffered under the weight of soaring fuel costs and low-fare competition that makes it hard for carriers to raise ticket prices enough to cover costs. In the last year, however, major airlines have been more successful in raising fares to offset fuel prices.

UAL's fuel price for the first quarter averaged $1.95 per gallon, compared with $1.47 per gallon a year earlier. The airline said it saw about $9 million in benefits from hedging.

UAL said it expects its mainline fuel price to average $2.15 per gallon in the second quarter and $2.06 per gallon for the full year. The airline currently has no fuel hedges in place for the remainder of 2006.

UAL, which spent more than three years in bankruptcy, slashed its costs by $7 billion in that time and plans to cut costs more. The airline said it aims to cut $400 million starting in 2007 beyond the savings it targeted in the business plan it submitted as part of its bankruptcy emergence.

Those cost savings will come from streamlining operations and corporate functions, UAL said.

The airline said it plans to increase its capacity -- or the number of seats it puts up for sale -- by 3 percent to 3.5 percent in the second quarter and by 3 percent to 3.5 percent for the full year.

Those capacity forecasts apply to UAL's mainline operations and those of its regional affiliates.

Let's put this in perspective. As I've been saying all along, the best measure of performance is to watch operating profits and cash position.

Here are some words straight from the CFO:

"The improved revenue environment essentially compensated for record high fuel expense..." (This is for all the critics who claimed that UA's business is flawed because of the fuel price assumption. What have I been telling you?)

"We generated more than $400 million in positive operating cash flow during the quarter."

"We have total cash of $4.5 billion including $3.6 billion of unrestricted cash -- the largest cash balance in the history of the company. We have limited debt payments in the near future and a modest capital spending requirement."

UA is still on track for a profitable 2006 and beyond. Let's wait to see what the next few quarters bring.

Let's put this in perspective. As I've been saying all along, the best measure of performance is to watch operating profits and cash position.

UA is still on track for a profitable 2006 and beyond. Let's wait to see what the next few quarters bring.

HUH? They had a huge operating loss :rolleyes: How can you see this as a good thing when, AA and other competitors posted positive opeating profits in 1Q?

United's first-quarter operating loss was $171 million, a $79 million improvement over the same quarter last year.

Analyst Ray Neidl, who follows airlines for Calyon Securities, called the results disappointing.

"The cost structure remains too high," he said. "They said they're working on that but they've got a lot of work to do."

In fact, Ray's Calyon Securites has downgraded UA's stock. I don't think he is wearing the same rose colored glasses you are :)

Jetz:

Keep drinkin the koolaid. You can't spin these results - a loss is a loss and it's alarming that United can't at least match AA after 3.5 years in bk. Why are they just now turning to operations for efficiency?

Tilton and crew have got to go.

Here are some words straight from the CFO:

"The improved revenue environment essentially compensated for record high fuel expense..." (This is for all the critics who claimed that UA's business is flawed because of the fuel price assumption. What have I been telling you?)

"We generated more than $400 million in positive operating cash flow during the quarter."

"We have total cash of $4.5 billion including $3.6 billion of unrestricted cash -- the largest cash balance in the history of the company. We have limited debt payments in the near future and a modest capital spending requirement."

Don't get me wrong - you know that I'm a big United fan and loyal customer.

I just think you're trying to spin these results - which are just not very good.

If fuel doesn't drop, I doubt we'll see a profit for the year. Sorry - just being realistic.

I know you're on alert mode for the likes of WT and a certain captain...save your spinning for them :)

OK UC... whatever. :rolleyes:

Talk to me again after the final '06 numbers are out. In the mean time I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

B)

I know you're on alert mode for the likes of WT and a certain captain...save your spinning for them :)
UC,

Don't worry. I know you're a UA fan, and would never lump you in the same category as them. ;)

I just don't think I'm drinking any Koolaid. I am just optimistic, and it comes from what I see and hear on the inside, not the stuff I read on the outside.

Critics of UA have been wrong time and time again. And in the end, UA came out A-O-K. I just don't believe in running for cover every time there's some bad news. It's my experience that there is always something positive to take away from any data, and I prefer to look at the big picture. It's called turning stumbling blocks into stepping stones.

Yes, on the surface there was some "not-so-good" news in the 1st quarter results. But there were also some solid improvements and positive data that I pointed out. And momentum is building for a good 2006 and beyond. Perhaps it can't be explained in words, and one just needs to be on the property to understand.

Bottom line is, UA is here to stay and is finally on solid footing for the first time in many years.

They are itchin' to spend some of that cash...right now they are looking for downtown Chicago office space...Tilton and co. are tired of mixing with the peons in Elk Grove Village. The ivory tower needs a change of venue.

767jetz,

Only thing I see is UniTED entering BK a time or two again like CO! Threes a charm, maybe they will finally get it right like CO did!

I'll bet $50 bucks that UAL doesn't turn not 1 profit in 2006?????

767jetz,

Only thing I see is UniTED entering BK a time or two again like CO! Threes a charm, maybe they will finally get it right like CO did!

Bankruptcy didn't fix continental, nor did the second one, they were headed for a third,(within hours of a third), Bethune fixed continental, he was the master conductor...

...the whole industry is in 'flux', more than that, there's a whole lot going on, it's related to consolidation.

Don't be a bit surprised if there are name changes, fragmentation, and relocations...

I know, :rolleyes:

but I'm not telling...!

ha ha ha...

ya dopes,

I've been telling you this for year/s, we'll compare notes after it's all said and done ;)

Now get out of here,

or I won't tell you anymore.. :p

...Whoooa, ha ha ha

Youse KnuckleHeads..

"the Times they are a change'n"... ;)

* I don't know anything about the above for sure, I've just taken a wild ass guess.

* I don't know anything about the above for sure, I've just taken a wild ass guess.

Finally! A honest and true statement.

P.S. If anything, UA will move WHQ to Denver, not Houston.
(Why would such a thing even be considered if a deal with CO is on the horizon?... hmmmm... better check your sources. :lol: )

767jetz,

Oh Fishy... We've missed you! :(

How are things goin' for you guys in Denver? Not so good from what I hear. :lol:

Better hold on to that 50 bucks. You may need it.