Purposed Us·airways America West

gso-crew

Advanced
Jul 23, 2004
When combined with US Airways, the operations of the two carriers would create a nationwide low-cost carrier with a route structure as follows:
usairways_map.jpg

The combination would result in a “best in classâ€￾ cost structure, with a nationwide route structure, an international presence, a strong balance sheet, and a strong management team. It will be a formidable competitor in a challenging competitive market.

The combined entity will compete effectively with (i) low-cost carriers, on price and convenience, (ii) network carriers, on scope, services, and amenities, and (iii) international carriers, for international service. The combination will result in more than $600 million in provable synergies annually, and cash on the balance sheet at closing in excess of $2.1 billion.

The cost per available seat mile (“CASMâ€￾) of the combined business (when adjusted for stage length) is projected to be 7.3 cents in 2007, a 22% improvement over the Debtors’ 9.3 cent CASM in 2004.

I wonder how long it would take for someone to pull the map out of the merger plan. Just a few problems with it - 1) if it was the plan, it has routes in it from PIT that are being axed, and 2) it is missing some cities like OKC.

dfw79 said:
I wonder how long it would take for someone to pull the map out of the merger plan. Just a few problems with it - 1) if it was the plan, it has routes in it from PIT that are being axed, and 2) it is missing some cities like OKC.
[post="273569"][/post]​
<_< Maybe their trying to tell you something!!! ;)

What I find interesting is the number of Hawaii flights on the map. I posted it somewhere else, but from comments on the HP forum it appears that they are preparing to start the service with 3 planes. Kinda hard to serve 7 flights each way with 3 planes.....

Maybe some are potential new flights as they build up the service, or maybe there's some thought to moving US ETOPs planes west.

Jim

I could've sworn some one had links to a map that combined the two airlines last time the AWA/US was hot and heavy. It seemed to me that it was a very nice map.
Anyone else remember this? If so, can you find it?

Thanks, Light Years. I hadn't looked at it before but was trying to find a reference to it in one of ITrade's posts when you answered. Here's the link:

ITrade's Map

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Thanks, Light Years. I hadn't looked at it before but was trying to find a reference to it in one of ITrade's posts when you answered. Here's the link:

ITrade's Map

Jim
[post="273650"][/post]​

Wow, that is an old map. I count 81 cities no longer served by US Airways or US Express (mostly Express) in the lower 48.