Purposed Us·airways America West

gso-crew

Advanced
Jul 23, 2004
When combined with US Airways, the operations of the two carriers would create a nationwide low-cost carrier with a route structure as follows:
usairways_map.jpg

The combination would result in a “best in classâ€￾ cost structure, with a nationwide route structure, an international presence, a strong balance sheet, and a strong management team. It will be a formidable competitor in a challenging competitive market.

The combined entity will compete effectively with (i) low-cost carriers, on price and convenience, (ii) network carriers, on scope, services, and amenities, and (iii) international carriers, for international service. The combination will result in more than $600 million in provable synergies annually, and cash on the balance sheet at closing in excess of $2.1 billion.

The cost per available seat mile (“CASMâ€￾) of the combined business (when adjusted for stage length) is projected to be 7.3 cents in 2007, a 22% improvement over the Debtors’ 9.3 cent CASM in 2004.

I wonder how long it would take for someone to pull the map out of the merger plan. Just a few problems with it - 1) if it was the plan, it has routes in it from PIT that are being axed, and 2) it is missing some cities like OKC.

dfw79 said:
I wonder how long it would take for someone to pull the map out of the merger plan. Just a few problems with it - 1) if it was the plan, it has routes in it from PIT that are being axed, and 2) it is missing some cities like OKC.
[post="273569"][/post]​
<_< Maybe their trying to tell you something!!! ;)

What I find interesting is the number of Hawaii flights on the map. I posted it somewhere else, but from comments on the HP forum it appears that they are preparing to start the service with 3 planes. Kinda hard to serve 7 flights each way with 3 planes.....

Maybe some are potential new flights as they build up the service, or maybe there's some thought to moving US ETOPs planes west.

Jim

Not much effort was put into this map. For one thing, it only uses the first two letters of each city code!

I could've sworn some one had links to a map that combined the two airlines last time the AWA/US was hot and heavy. It seemed to me that it was a very nice map.
Anyone else remember this? If so, can you find it?

ITRADE has one on his website, with just the cities. The US side of it is a bit out of date, but it is easier to look at.

Thanks, Light Years. I hadn't looked at it before but was trying to find a reference to it in one of ITrade's posts when you answered. Here's the link:

ITrade's Map

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Thanks, Light Years. I hadn't looked at it before but was trying to find a reference to it in one of ITrade's posts when you answered. Here's the link:

ITrade's Map

Jim
[post="273650"][/post]​
That link isnt working. I do remember seeing the map once before. It was printed like the map in the back of Attache. Looked really neat.

BoeingBoy said:

ITrade's Map

Jim
[post="273650"][/post]​

Wow, that is an old map. I count 81 cities no longer served by US Airways or US Express (mostly Express) in the lower 48.

Back