Question & Answer Session with Doug Parker

Doug,

My question to you is when both airlines are completely merged, will we have more than the one and only option we have for medical? Right now east has Blue Cross - Blue Shield, no choice, take it or leave it. That choice may be good in some parts of the country, but it's not good in all parts of the country. We as employees need choices that are better suited for the geographical regions we live in. One size fits all doesn't work for everyone.

I believe what eric meant was for questions to be posted here and not “hereâ€￾. Just thought I would post that to correct any misunderstandings.

Doug,

My question to you is when both airlines are completely merged, will we have more than the one and only option we have for medical? Right now east has Blue Cross - Blue Shield, no choice, take it or leave it. That choice may be good in some parts of the country, but it's not good in all parts of the country. We as employees need choices that are better suited for the geographical regions we live in. One size fits all doesn't work for everyone.
it will all come down to cost

My question was in regards to us non-union employees in tech-ops who will be facing substancial paycuts and loss of vacation-time and sick-time if something is not negotiated in a transition agreement.

Has it been fair that since the merger the union tech-ops people in RIDC make - in your words - substantially less than the west? And perform 3 times the duties? I would assume that would be RIDC "EAST" question to Parker? It probably won't matter once the "WEST" tech-ops move to PIT anyway. It's cheaper to live there and it will be like getting a raise.

Has it been fair that since the merger the union tech-ops people in RIDC make - in your words - substantially less than the west? And perform 3 times the duties? I would assume that would be RIDC "EAST" question to Parker? It probably won't matter once the "WEST" tech-ops move to PIT anyway. It's cheaper to live there and it will be like getting a raise.

East has a totally different process than ours in my little world. 3 times the duties? Are you implying 3 times the amount of work? There is a difference between the work you can do and the work that must be done. I don't think anyone can "outwork" me, but I welcome a challenge. Competition keeps one sharp and is healthy in most work environments.

Interesting you brought up where Tech Ops is going to reside. I'll consider moving but many on both sides won't. There could be a huge gap created on either side if a large portion of either workforce is asked to move. I think if I were the company I would hold off as long as possible in determining the location of Tech Ops, or even consider the possiblity of keeping East in Pit and West in Phx. Oh if I only had a crystal ball! Things will be very interesting the next 12-18 months.

I made a statement about duties (not work). There was nothing implied it was a statement.

As for OPS centers the east at one time handled over 400 aircraft. All the infrastructure is in place. All fleets are already represented in dispatch and tech ops. So a keen LCC CEO could save alot of money by a slight staff increase at east OPS center and handle the whole airline. Smart business is what this airline should be about. :D

I made a statement about duties (not work). There was nothing implied it was a statement.

As for OPS centers the east at one time handled over 400 aircraft. All the infrastructure is in place. All fleets are already represented in dispatch and tech ops. So a keen LCC CEO could save alot of money by a slight staff increase at east OPS center and handle the whole airline. Smart business is what this airline should be about. :D
Agreed..........the gap analysis is continuing to make those determinations. The west is set up also. Then you factor in the cost of relocating employees and on and on. Decision(s) soon..........hopefully. :unsure:

Yes and so far it seems that the East does things with 3 times the people (on a % basis) for the work with double the management and all at much significantly higher wages than the West. For example Dept X at West handles 150 AC with 1 Manager, 1 Supervisor 20 employees with an average salary of $25,000. US handles 250 AC with 1 SR MGR, 2 MGR 6 SUPS 45 employees with an average salary of $40,000. These numbers are not real but to just illustrate a point. Dispite all the cuts I still don't think the East fully understands being lean. I guess it all a matter of perspective. I will add that in the end we could all end up at exactly the same place with us in the west thinking "things are not so bad (same as they have always been)" and those in the east thinking things suck (look at what we used to have). So I do understand the east perspective.

There are so many factors to consider when they decide on where the combined SOC/OCC will be located:

The biggest advantage with PIT is that it has a larger facility, already big enough to handle the size of the combned airline. In addition, there would be less employees to relocate and/or replace.

However, PHX also has advantages. The SOC is much smaller, but it is easily expandable. IN addition, the facility and equipment is much more modern. Of course, the proximity to corporate HQ will be considered.

I understand the company will likely run 2 facilities for a little while after we are under one certificate. I doubt that will happen very long, however. When you share crews and equipment, you need to easily communicate. We have great communication tools now, but there's nothing like working in the same building.