Question for Airbus Pilots (Change of Pace)

What? And be in contempt of court?

...or Judge Conrad?
I have a deal with the judge. I won't tell him how to do judge things and he won't tell me how to fly.

I firmly believe practicing go-arounds is a good thing, especially at PHL and CLT with crossing runways, simultaneous go-around paths are not well defined.

When the speed brake is described as "the little handle that slows the airplane enough for the pilot to catch up ' they must have flown with you.
Your diction is close to graduating to, say, fourth grade. Congratulations.

Perhaps you describe the handle "that" way, but most of the experienced dudes/dudettes are far enough ahead to not have to consider using it. Unlike, apparently, you.

Reactions: 1 person
I would be far more impressed with a pilot who anticipated that the controller was going to put them into a position that would require an adjustment to normal operating procedures, and plans accordingly so that when they do need to configure in an abnormal sequence it is done smoothly.

So would I. Hence the oblique reference to "experience".
By "mature", do you mean grow older, or do you mean gain experience in an aircraft type?

Perhaps I should have said, adult, but I meant aeronautical experience, period. 1 to 3 works pretty well, whether military, airline or corporate.

The reason I ask, and not to turn this into an east/West issue, but I agree that " "experience in aircraft" in the left seat" is important. The fact that the West pilots have vastly more experience operating the A320 series aircraft than the east pilots, leaves me wondering exactly what it is you are trying to say.

As I said before, the lapses I see here from allegedly west pilots seem to be in general aviation knowledge and aircraft utilization, things one can get from experience, rather than that associated with a particular aircraft type. Allowing a controller to put one in a position where not normal procedures must be utilized is a rookie thing.

Club,
I specifically asked that this thread not denigrate into another p*ssing match between east and west. Thanks for honoring that request.

Please don't add another post here unless it is related to the original question....

Reactions: 4 people
Rather than leave off on a negative note and risk further hijacking, I'd just like to thank all of you who posted information regarding the original subject question. The information given was very helpful, and I now have a better understanding of the reasoning behind it. From my perspective it will be interesting to see how often it happens looking forward.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen anything similar on a Boeing aircraft, although I am sure the technique for burning off fuel has been used on those as well.

Thanks all and please fly safe!!

Art..FlufDriver is on the money. I was said AB Pilot for JFK-CLT flight. Nearing CLT it was evident we would be overweight for landing by about 1000lbs. AB-320 Gear extended- Flap 3 Spoilers Half Out..for level flight about 45 miles out on final...no turns needed...at about 2 mile final 23 weight was 142,100 ...100 under limit..all is well. Next time.. stop up front if you have a question...

Squatch,

Thank you for your comment, and for your kind offer. I honestly didn't have time to stop by up front on my way out, as I was already late for a meeting (I booked last minute as I was due into CLT by 11:30 on another carrier)...so to give credit where credit is due, US came to the rescue this week....

I now fully understand what happened, and also let me thank you and your crew for a fine flight....I know JFK was barely above minimums most of the day...

Thanks again, and I wish you ALL a Happy Holiday Season.

Squatch,

Thank you for your comment, and for your kind offer. I honestly didn't have time to stop by up front on my way out, as I was already late for a meeting (I booked last minute as I was due into CLT by 11:30 on another carrier)...so to give credit where credit is due, US came to the rescue this week....

I now fully understand what happened, and also let me thank you and your crew for a fine flight....I know JFK was barely above minimums most of the day...

Thanks again, and I wish you ALL a Happy Holiday Season.

Hey Art,

Thanks for flying with us on this trip and all of the others before. We appreciate your business.

Happy Holidays

Hey Art,

Thanks for flying with us on this trip and all of the others before. We appreciate your business.

Happy Holidays

Same to you, and as Harry said, you are ALWAYS welcome to join us for a meal if we are in CLT at the same time--and feel free to let me know if you ever lay over in NY!!

Happy Holidays to you too!

Latest posts