Question for ATO/Gate/Res/Club Agents

I've got a question that's been bothering me a bit. I often send in letters to the company when I feel a certain employee has gone above and beyond in one way or another, which, thankfully, happens almost monthly on this great carrier. My question is this--many of the times I am most grateful are when an employee breaks a rule or two to help me out. Now, I'm certainly no dummy, I don't tell the company about the rule-breaking. With a flight attendant, it's easy, because the company has very little way of finding out what happened on the plane. (Well, and there are few rules to break there anyway, but I've had it happen, like playing a movie on the ground on a PIT-PHL flight while holding for ATC.) But I figure the company can go back into my record and check and see exactly what happened. In particular, if I all I know is the first name, and tell them how great was "Jane at the ATO in PHL on such-and-such date", then they have to look at my record to see who it is that I'm talking about, and I would certainly not want to get Jane in trouble for not charging a standby fee or rerouting me to make my life easier even when the fare rules say she can't. I really got thinking about it the other week when I was in a Club, and my ticket home was just a complete disaster, and it was my fault. Even had they been able to fix the ticket correctly, I would've had three segments ahead of me to get home. Instead, the two darling ladies in the Club fought with this ticket for about 25 minutes, telling me to go sit down and relax while they worked on it, they put me on a nonstop in complete disregard for the fare rules, and when they couldn't get the computer to do it for them after trying and looking in their manuals for 25 minutes, they resorted to printing out the three flight coupons (while waiving the paper ticket fee) and stapling them together, and giving me a boarding pass. I was immensely grateful, and didn't ask for it, I would've been happy had they just been able to get my itinerary back to how it originally was. I asked them for their names, and told them I wanted to write a letter of thanks, and they gave me them, but they were hesitant, and I think it was because they were worried about getting in trouble for breaking the rules. In this situation, I decided I'll wait until I next pass through the station (uneventfully), and then write the letter.

But I'd like you guys' opinion. Do you want a pax to write in with a nice letter if you've broken a rule?

I can't speak as an ATO or Club rep, but having started in Res it absolutely made my day when a customer took the time to write in a nice note.

Now, I also don't know what goes on at East, but I absolutely know at West you are safe in writing a letter about this situation. And since it's West Customer Relations that tracks these kinds of things, I can't imagine it being a problem. When it's the right thing to do for the customer, the ATO/Gate/Club/Res agents are empowered to do exactly what these stellar employees did.

Thanks for taking the time to care!

I've got a question that's been bothering me a bit. I often send in letters to the company when I feel a certain employee has gone above and beyond in one way or another, which, thankfully, happens almost monthly on this great carrier. My question is this--many of the times I am most grateful are when an employee breaks a rule or two to help me out. Now, I'm certainly no dummy, I don't tell the company about the rule-breaking. With a flight attendant, it's easy, because the company has very little way of finding out what happened on the plane. (Well, and there are few rules to break there anyway, but I've had it happen, like playing a movie on the ground on a PIT-PHL flight while holding for ATC.) But I figure the company can go back into my record and check and see exactly what happened. In particular, if I all I know is the first name, and tell them how great was "Jane at the ATO in PHL on such-and-such date", then they have to look at my record to see who it is that I'm talking about, and I would certainly not want to get Jane in trouble for not charging a standby fee or rerouting me to make my life easier even when the fare rules say she can't. I really got thinking about it the other week when I was in a Club, and my ticket home was just a complete disaster, and it was my fault. Even had they been able to fix the ticket correctly, I would've had three segments ahead of me to get home. Instead, the two darling ladies in the Club fought with this ticket for about 25 minutes, telling me to go sit down and relax while they worked on it, they put me on a nonstop in complete disregard for the fare rules, and when they couldn't get the computer to do it for them after trying and looking in their manuals for 25 minutes, they resorted to printing out the three flight coupons (while waiving the paper ticket fee) and stapling them together, and giving me a boarding pass. I was immensely grateful, and didn't ask for it, I would've been happy had they just been able to get my itinerary back to how it originally was. I asked them for their names, and told them I wanted to write a letter of thanks, and they gave me them, but they were hesitant, and I think it was because they were worried about getting in trouble for breaking the rules. In this situation, I decided I'll wait until I next pass through the station (uneventfully), and then write the letter.

But I'd like you guys' opinion. Do you want a pax to write in with a nice letter if you've broken a rule?
Yes! and Yes! First, let me say thank you for appreciating the above and beyond efforts given by our agents and wanting to take the time to acknowlege their efforts. Because I work in rez currently, I can tell you the ato agents can make judgement calls based on any situation that would be a win win for all involved. Just think about how you've appreciated the help and how you would continue to trvl US in the future. Its good customer service and that helps the bottom line. Many times customers want the customer relations fon or address due to bad customer service so again your thanks are much appreciated. Just a thought, if you have any Above and Beyond coupons to give(you mentioned the club thought you might be elite) please include them for the agents, they can add up enough for the agent to earn positive space trvl. I hope your future trvl on US continues to be a good experience and thank you for trvling US/HP!

I can't speak as an ATO or Club rep, but having started in Res it absolutely made my day when a customer took the time to write in a nice note.

Now, I also don't know what goes on at East, but I absolutely know at West you are safe in writing a letter about this situation. And since it's West Customer Relations that tracks these kinds of things, I can't imagine it being a problem. When it's the right thing to do for the customer, the ATO/Gate/Club/Res agents are empowered to do exactly what these stellar employees did.

Thanks for taking the time to care!

Barbell is correct that these notes of thanks should be directed to our Customer Relations dept (as well as complaint issues). However, as the ATO/GATE/CLUB is empowered to give that kind of customer service, a "general sales/service" rez agent is not. This would have to go through RA (Reservations Assistance ..formerly Quality Mgmt) dept. Rez agents are not empowered to make changes without collection of fare differences and reissue fees. Any exceptions when calling rez must be asked of RA.

Realizing one thing. Many frequent flyers believe that because they are elite members RA should always waive fees etc. It's not always an easy thing to decipher and discern peoples explanations as to why RA should waive fees. My experience with this is many elite members "expect" it all the time. That really isn't a fair thing to the company or the agent. Most of these are business people themselves with contract agreements also. I'm certain they would take someone to court if they broke the contract with them, but it's ok for HP to allow them to break the contract of the terms and cond they agreed to when they purch their ticket.

Needless to say, as a whole, most of our elite members are extremely kind and understanding. Most comply with the ticket rules and are respectful of them. These are usually the ones that are totally appreciative of an agent making an exception and will go out of their way to write in to compliment that agent. My point is...customer service is priority but abusing an agent with the exectation of waivers is very rude and that is the frustration agents have when elite members have that expectation always. As stated 95% are wonderful and we totally enjoy dealing with them. As in any business, it's that small percentage that can spoil things.

I have not heard of, nor can I imagine anyone involved with mngmnt at HP reprimanding an agt who receives a compliment letter.

In complaint situations, for the most part, are learning experiences. If an agt receives a complaint due to an over-charge, the appropriate action is education, not reprimand. That being said, same agt receiving same complaint month after month will lead to some form of disiplinary (sp?)action, and rightfully so. There are some people who have no business being in customer service, and the company does do the right thing, when necessary.

I hope no USeast folks ever have to face any worries that they will get into any trouble for doing the right thing. The main thing is, just fix it, take care of the customer, and get the plane out on time! =P

Thanks a lot guys for the responses! It does seem, though, that you're all from the West side, and I fear that the management in the East, where I do most of my flying, isn't as progressive. Hopefully I'll hear from a few East employees as well.

Just a thought, if you have any Above and Beyond coupons to give(you mentioned the club thought you might be elite) please include them for the agents, they can add up enough for the agent to earn positive space trvl.

I am elite, yes, usually a US2 (Gold), though I'm a US1 right now thanks to a challenge on a postcard they sent me, will be back down to US2 next year. About 2 or maybe 3 years ago, US did send us some of those cards to send in and the employees could win prizes, but they haven't done it again since. Hopefully they'll start up again with the merger if the West side still uses them.

Realizing one thing. Many frequent flyers believe that because they are elite members RA should always waive fees etc. It's not always an easy thing to decipher and discern peoples explanations as to why RA should waive fees. My experience with this is many elite members "expect" it all the time. That really isn't a fair thing to the company or the agent.

Oh, no, I certainly don't expect the agents to break any rules for me, it's just a very pleasant surprise when they do. Trust me, I've paid my share of standby fees and overweight baggage fees.

Hopefully they'll start up again with the merger if the West side still uses them.
Yep, the West side has "Above and Beyond" certificates that are mailed to elites in packets of, I think, four per quarter, that the member can give to employees who have taken service "above and beyond the call of duty." I gave my first one out this weekend, after a US Club rep at LAS sprinted back through the whole terminal to rescue my cell phone from an unscheduled trip to Pittsburgh without me.

Thanks a lot guys for the responses! It does seem, though, that you're all from the West side, and I fear that the management in the East, where I do most of my flying, isn't as progressive. Hopefully I'll hear from a few East employees as well.

True. All responders are Westies, and so is the department you're wanting to write. I bet these ladies would be thrilled if you recognized them. You are welcome to PM me your compliment and I'll see that it gets in the right hands, or you may send it in yourself:

Customer Relations
US Airways/52N-CNA
4000 E Sky Harbor Blvd
Phoenix AZ 85034

http://www.americawest.com/awa/content/con...ationsform.aspx

And Babmi - You're correct. Sorry, being former QM myself I often forget I was the one breaking the rules! :blush:

You can compliment the employee without going into specifics if you want to compliment them without possibly getting them in trouble.
"They made my trip so enjoyable"
"It was a pleasure dealing with this employee"
"I cant believe how wonderfully he handled my difficult request"
These can all get the message across without getting anyone in trouble.
Yes it is appreciated.

Do the West employees get a copy of their letters? I got one recently - a letter from Gerrold confirmed it - but still dont know who it was from or what it was about and my manager says he doesnt have a clue.
Also- since I've been working the HP flights, I've received a couple of the "Above and Beyond" coupons, but havent seen anything about those of us at East working HP flights being able to do anything with them. How many do you have to get to do something with them? Maybe we'll just hold on to them and see if they start the program on the East side.

True. All responders are Westies, and so is the department you're wanting to write.

Customer Relations
US Airways/52N-CNA
4000 E Sky Harbor Blvd
Phoenix AZ 85034

Not true - yet. There is still an "East" Consumer Affairs office, at least through 4/28/06. The company has made the unfortunate decision to close "East Consumer Affairs," abandoning a great deal of experience and savvy when it comes to helping resolve customer problems or address compliments.

Comments from customers can still be sent to

PO Box 1501
Winston-Salem, NC 27102

Um, did you bother to read the post in its context NCFL? The three of us are all West employees. And yes, good point, he could also send the letter to INT, but IMHO it would get a lot further if sent to PHX.

True, we are losing a lot of experience, but don't think for a minute that those in PHX couldn't stand toe-to-toe w/ anyone in INT.

Um, did you bother to read the post in its context NCFL? The three of us are all West employees. And yes, good point, he could also send the letter to INT, but IMHO it would get a lot further if sent to PHX.

True, we are losing a lot of experience, but don't think for a minute that those in PHX couldn't stand toe-to-toe w/ anyone in INT.

Um, yes I did. And we'll see about those toes, won't we?

You can compliment the employee without going into specifics if you want to compliment them without possibly getting them in trouble.
"They made my trip so enjoyable"
"It was a pleasure dealing with this employee"
"I cant believe how wonderfully he handled my difficult request"
These can all get the message across without getting anyone in trouble.
Yes it is appreciated.

Do the West employees get a copy of their letters? I got one recently - a letter from Gerrold confirmed it - but still dont know who it was from or what it was about and my manager says he doesnt have a clue.
Also- since I've been working the HP flights, I've received a couple of the "Above and Beyond" coupons, but havent seen anything about those of us at East working HP flights being able to do anything with them. How many do you have to get to do something with them? Maybe we'll just hold on to them and see if they start the program on the East side.
Tad, You need 10 Above and Beyonds for 2 positive space tkts. They do expire and nn to be tktd by exp date(call HP rez to set up. There are some rules such as you have, I believe 3 days(Bambi or PQA please correct if I am wrong) to turn in at ato and tkt after calling rez and there must be Q clas avail and must be set up 14 days prior to travel minmun.
I believe 1 change can be made after tkting for no fee I havn't set one up in a while so a little rusty. I believe (I dont know the number but if not enough), they could be turned in for flexis. If some of us had A and Bs and did not have enough before they were going to expire, we would pool them and have a drawing. I dont know the answer to whether easties can use them but I would definately ask sups and go up the chain, you obviously earned them and should be allowed to use them, expecially working HP flights. Good Luck and thanx for your good work!

For "Easties" using A & B's...they should be able to. I remember CO agents used to get them and use them. Why not? It's for a job well done for someone representing our airline.

I am an Eastie, and as TADJR said, if you address it that you messed up and they were able to assist would be more than adequate. They really like the nice letters and they dont research it under those circumstances - promise :)