Question For The Old-Timers

I remember a DC-9 flight that operated for many years on a PIT-ELM-ITH-PIT or perhaps reversed, called a round-robin flight. While I don't remember the same re AVP-ABE Eastern may have in fact operated that route on a say a AVP-ABE-ATL routing.

Regards

LGA777

When I was in grad school at BGM in '85-'87, one of my first US flights was on a DC-9 (complete with a party table) that flew a PIT-ITH-BGM-PIT circle trip, before connecting in PIT to a Shorts 360 to CAK. I don't recall if that DC-9 also stopped in ELM or not.

I have one of the last EA timetables, and even then they were running AVP-PHL-ATL and AVP-ABE-ATL.

That 1992 US timetable is a trip back in time: California Shuttle still up, as well as many West Coast flights, mid-west US Express, Dayton and Indianapolis hubs, as well as most of the Florida Shuttle!

I don't remember AVP-ABE at all, and I used to fly EA out of AVP to ATL, PHL and DCA, even before I started flying US. I guess I was really a "Kettle" then!!!

I remember a redeye from LAX-PHL that made a stop in IND.....back in 1992, I think it was.

The party table was there on the 9's cause US didnt have a first class, oh wait do they now? lol

MDT is roughly about a half hr or so trip from carlisle ABE is about 45 min to an hr and half depending on traffic

I'd budget 45 minutes to Carlisle proper (like, the square). The cops on the Turnpike have been thick as thieves for more than 30 years, ditto the Carlisle Pike from there on in. If the poster wants to visit Newville, then you have I-81--on which the PSP has been conducting a study for about 5 years with regard to "trying to prevent aggressive driving with elevated enforcement."

:rolleyes:
:up:

Yeh.....just think of how much extra US could charge for the right to play footsie!! :lol:
Thank you all for the information. Hope to visit there this summer and don't worry about the speeding--I think I'm too old for that now.
I was born in AOO but grew up in Fla. I remember flying to Cincinnati for a connecting flight to Pit from Mco--before it was mco--when I was little. Then I remember being on the first non stop flight to pit from mco. That was a fun trip. Connecting to comuter plane--they were all called Allegheney--I know I never could spell it--for flight into AOO. Those flts were fun in bad weather but I sure enjoyed watching the pilots fly the plane and watched the radar over their shoulders. My Dad and I would grab the seats right behind them and--as he learned to fly between pit and aoo--he would tell me which instruments the pilots were using and what they would do next. I also remember him saying one time--"Here comes the bump!" and the plane would do a little bump. Seems going over Blue Knob Ski Resort there was a little downdraft that was called the bump. Ahhhh fond memories.

One time some senior mama’s stacked up all the Aladdin trays on the party table, then made the following PA:

“Ladies and gentleman, we are now serving dinner. The chicken is on the left and the beef is on the right, and when you come forward to get your tray please have your drink order ready.â€￾

One time some senior mama’s stacked up all the Aladdin trays on the party table, then made the following PA:

“Ladies and gentleman, we are now serving dinner. The chicken is on the left and the beef is on the right, and when you come forward to get your tray please have your drink order ready.â€￾

Was this the standard PIT-DCA dinner service? :lol:

Deb,

I found my EA timetable effective June 1 , 1990.

AVP service consisted of 2 non-stops to ABE which continued to ATL. One continued to SAV. There was a non-stop to PHL which continued to ATL as well.

EA 125 8am - PHL-ATL
EA 733 11:56 am - ABE-ATL
EA 735 5:53 pm ABE-ATL-MOB

ABE service consisted of 3 non-stops to ATL, of which the non-AVP originator continued to MOB. There was also a flight to AVP.

EA 731 8:00 am - ATL-MOB
EA 733 1:15 pm - ATL
EA 734 4:36 pm - AVP
EA 735 6:45 pm - ATL-SAV

On the flip side, there was a SAV originating flight at 12:32 pm that continued to AVP, EA 734, which upon arriving at AVP via ABE turned to EA 735.

EA 120 JAX-ATL-PHL-AVP which RON

Yeah, there was definitely US flights that did the PIT-ABE-AVP-PIT or PIT-AVP-ABE-PIT routing throughout the 80s. If I'm remembering correctly, it was usually the mid-day. I have the timetables somewhere.

http://www.departedflights.com/ABE85p1.html

In the 90s, I remember flying on the morning flights from ABE-BOS that made a stopover in AVP and once or twice on the evening return from BOS back to ABE. I don't recall if it was on the F-27 or DH8.

In the 90s, I remember flying on the morning flights from ABE-BOS that made a stopover in AVP and once or twice on the evening return from BOS back to ABE. I don't recall if it was on the F-27 or DH8.

That was definately a DH8. I think the MDT-BOS and ABE-BOS DH8 flights also got a snack/meal service according to the timetable.

The PIT-AVP-ABE-PIT run was operated by an MD-80 from 1989 until it ended sometime in the mid 90's. As for the ABE-BOS trips, they were operated by the F-27 prior to the DH-8's, with a
SH-360 subbed in from time to time.

I remember a DC-9 flight that operated for many years on a PIT-ELM-ITH-PIT or perhaps reversed, called a round-robin flight. While I don't remember the same re AVP-ABE Eastern may have in fact operated that route on a say a AVP-ABE-ATL routing.

Regards

LGA777

I flew that flight a lot; the trip from Elmira to Ithaca was true excitement, as the plane never got much higher than the tree-tops; you were in-flight maybe 7-10 minutes at most. Lots of fun!

Back