Drastic In-Flight Service Cuts

[blockquote]
----------------
Well said! With the level to which "meal" service on domestic flights within the U.S. has been dumbed down for more than a decade, I have maintained for some time that it would be a win-win for both airlines and pax if meal service were to be dropped altogether. Meal service is one example of a costly frill which "full-service" airlines offer(ed) to please very few of their customers.
----------------
[/blockquote]

1) If you continue to take away everything that distinguishes you from those horrible low fare, no service carriers why exactly would anyone choose to buy a ticket from you? Because they get an assigned seat?

2) While I seriously doubt that that stuff that airlines refer to as "meal service" is breaking the airlines financial back I'm willing to go along with some changes in the spirit of getting through all of this. But given Fort Fumble's track record I'm not very hopeful that anything positive will come of it.

3) Food on longer flights is not a frill. Nor are snacks on shorter flights. Seven course meals with linens is a bit overboard. Basic hydration and nutrition is not.

Here are some ideas that might make Benny and Jerry happy and save money too.

1. pay toilets (not the dime & quarter type, make it $10 a pee)
2. instead of plastic cups for drinks, make it a DIXIE CUP that must be shared amongst all the passengers. "take a sip and pass it to the next person, please".
3. 1 pretzel per person (along with the sip)
4. no more movies on long flights (pass amongst the passengers a flip tablet like you had as a kid)
5. OH! but charge $20 for viewing the flip tablet.

These will go a long way to helping save $$ I think.

Don't you just love sarcasm before Christmas??!!
9.gif']

Here are some ideas that might make Benny and Jerry happy and save money too.

1. pay toilets (not the dime & quarter type, make it $10 a pee)
2. instead of plastic cups for drinks, make it a DIXIE CUP that must be shared amongst all the passengers. "take a sip and pass it to the next person, please".
3. 1 pretzel per person (along with the sip)
4. no more movies on long flights (pass amongst the passengers a flip tablet like you had as a kid)
5. OH! but charge $20 for viewing the flip tablet.

These will go a long way to helping save $$ I think.

Don't you just love sarcasm before Christmas??!!
9.gif']

Yesterday, 1/1/03, was the 1st day of the new transcon snack service. The people on my flight 193 from CLT-LAX were more than surprised. It was a bag with a small ham sandwich, small bag of chips and a cookie. There were still 3 full drink services and a coffee service.

I called consumer affairs with some suggestions.(see post on FlyerTalk)

Yesterday, 1/1/03, was the 1st day of the new transcon snack service. The people on my flight 193 from CLT-LAX were more than surprised. It was a bag with a small ham sandwich, small bag of chips and a cookie. There were still 3 full drink services and a coffee service.

I called consumer affairs with some suggestions.(see post on FlyerTalk)

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/23/2002 12:51:18 PM TomBascom wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
Well said! With the level to which "meal" service on domestic flights within the U.S. has been dumbed down for more than a decade, I have maintained for some time that it would be a win-win for both airlines and pax if meal service were to be dropped altogether. Meal service is one example of a costly frill which "full-service" airlines offer(ed) to please very few of their customers.
----------------
[/blockquote]

1seat?) If you continue to take away everything that distinguishes you from those horrible low fare, no service carriers why exactly would anyone choose to buy a ticket from you? Because they get an assigned

2) While I seriously doubt that that stuff that airlines refer to as "meal service" is breaking the airlines financial back I'm willing to go along with some changes in the spirit of getting through all of this. But given Fort Fumble's track record I'm not very hopeful that anything positive will come of it.

3) Food on longer flights is not a frill. Nor are snacks on shorter flights. Seven course meals with linens is a bit overboard. Basic hydration and nutrition is not.
----------------
[/blockquote]
Hey Tom, please explain to the ever expanding customer base of these "horrible low-cost airlines" what makes them so horrible. When you can do this you'll make millions.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/23/2002 12:51:18 PM TomBascom wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
----------------
[/blockquote]

1seat?) If you continue to take away everything that distinguishes you from those horrible low fare, no service carriers why exactly would anyone choose to buy a ticket from you? Because they get an assigned

----------------
[/blockquote]
Hey Tom, please explain to the ever expanding customer base of these "horrible low-cost airlines" what makes them so horrible. When you can do this you'll make millions.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/2/2003 5:40:45 PM ac500 wrote:

(quoting me)
... If you continue to take away everything that distinguishes you from those horrible low fare, no service carriers why exactly would anyone choose to buy a ticket from you? Because they get an assigned seat?

----------------
[/blockquote]

My heart just isn't in it...

I'm sorry if the wry sarcasm smiley didn't make it into the post

[blockquote]
----------------

(quoting me)
... If you continue to take away everything that distinguishes you from those horrible low fare, no service carriers why exactly would anyone choose to buy a ticket from you? Because they get an assigned seat?

----------------
[/blockquote]

My heart just isn't in it...

I'm sorry if the wry sarcasm smiley didn't make it into the post

[blockquote]
----------------

[/blockquote]
----------------
[/blockquote]

The expanding customer base of the low-fare carriers comes in part from the fact that their last-minute fares are usually much more reasonable than those of the network carriers. Throw in the fact that there's not much difference in service between the majors and the low-cost carriers on most routes and you have part of the answer. An assigned seat and frequent flyer miles are just not worth the price difference on a lot of shorter trips these days. The low-fare carriers are taking away high-fare, last minute flyers like me who cannot justify the added expense of an outrageously high US fare if Southwest will get the job done for hundreds less each way. I'm no great Southwest fan, but for the last minute trip, I use them if they go where I'm headed. Oftentimes, an unrestricted WN ticket comes in close to what US would charge for an ultra-restricted fare subject to a $100 change fee.

[blockquote]
----------------

[/blockquote]
----------------
[/blockquote]

The expanding customer base of the low-fare carriers comes in part from the fact that their last-minute fares are usually much more reasonable than those of the network carriers. Throw in the fact that there's not much difference in service between the majors and the low-cost carriers on most routes and you have part of the answer. An assigned seat and frequent flyer miles are just not worth the price difference on a lot of shorter trips these days. The low-fare carriers are taking away high-fare, last minute flyers like me who cannot justify the added expense of an outrageously high US fare if Southwest will get the job done for hundreds less each way. I'm no great Southwest fan, but for the last minute trip, I use them if they go where I'm headed. Oftentimes, an unrestricted WN ticket comes in close to what US would charge for an ultra-restricted fare subject to a $100 change fee.