Questions and thoughts about IAH

texflyer

Advanced
Feb 26, 2003
www.usaviation.com
1. On my last AUS-IAH flight(FF,flown on this route many times),I had confirmed what was a suspicion. Is it normal for all flights from AUS to turn northwest to Bryan/College station,then turn back to the southwest toward IAH? I know it must be a ATC Terminal thing but man,if you look at a road map,its comical out of the way flying to say the least.
2.The new terminal under construction across from the present International(in name only,amazing how many CO domestic flights use those gates). What is the game plan for the use of that terminal. Will CO move in there and do a much needed remodel of Terminal C?
3. After staring in awe the work ATC does at ATL,and ORD. Its a amazing watching the IAH ATC make strange airfield configuration work. I feel for the CO and COEX pilots landing on the parallel runways are in strong crosswinds. In many cases the wind is either blowing from the south off the Gulf(most of the time)or from the north in the winter. Does make for some interesting arrivals though. And never before had I taken off DOWNWIND until I went through IAH. Again,my hats off the ATC there.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/26/2003 9:22:12 PM texflyer wrote:

1. On my last AUS-IAH flight(FF,flown on this route many times),I had confirmed what was a suspicion. Is it normal for all flights from AUS to turn northwest to Bryan/College station,then turn back to the southwest toward IAH?
[/blockquote]

Assume you mean turn northEAST to Bryan, then southEAST toward IAH. Checked the AAA Road Atlas--Bryan is definitely NE of AUS, NW of IAH.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/26/2003 9:22:12 PM texflyer wrote:

2.The new terminal under construction across from the present International(in name only,amazing how many CO domestic flights use those gates). What is the game plan for the use of that terminal. Will CO move in there and do a much needed remodel of Terminal C?
[/blockquote]

IIRC, Terminal B is the original 1968 terminal. Would assume that would be due for remodel before the much newer C.

Thanks for the correction MGA707,it was a Northeast turn over Somerville and then what seems to be a 90 degree turn to the southeast 60 miles away from IAH.