Questions For The Mda Negotiating Teams

diogenes

Veteran
Aug 22, 2002
Questions for those negotiating the MDA details for fleet and customer service agents. Assume these questions are from mainline agents, not new-hires.

1. What are the retirement and health care benefits? I understand the health care benefit will NOT be the same as mainline, but will be more like some of the health care plans at other express carriers, i.e., less coverage for more money. This on top of a 33% paycut. Comments?

2. If an agent chooses furlough rather than a position with MDA, what are his recall rights, and how will that affect his seniority? For instance, I choose furlough (note the not-so-subconscious acceptance of this likelihood) rather than a position with MDA. A year from now, I elect to accept an opening with MDA. Will I retain my seniority for pay and bidding purposes?

3. If I elect furlough as opposed to an MDA situation, will I be eligible for unemployment?

These, and other issues are being negotiated as we speak. I see where AFA is throwing their weight around on behalf of their membership, and IAM (mech) has thrown down the gauntlet over outsourcing. A little information for the agents is in order, and a damsite sooner than when the company tells us to decide within the next 48 hours.

In response to quesiton #3, it can vary by state. In NC, you do not have to necessarily accept a lower paying job, nor a job that is going require you to relocate if you choose not to.

I am not sure about the agents, but for the flight attendants it is a ONE SHOT deal. If they offer it to you and you turn it down you WILL NOT be offered another chance. Also, we are being told that if you turn a position down, US Airways will contest your unemployment. So, they are basically forcing you to work for free.

N628AU said:
In response to quesiton #3, it can vary by state. In NC, you do not have to necessarily accept a lower paying job, nor a job that is going require you to relocate if you choose not to.
Unemployment Insurance is run by each state independently and they all make their own rules. I believe that in most, if not all, states, a person cannot be denied unemployment insurance benefits when they refuse a job offer if EITHER (1) they would be required to relocate outside a certain radius in order to accept the job, or (2) they would be making less money than they made at their last job. VERY IMPORTANT... IF ANYONE IS CONSIDERING REFUSING A JOB OFFER, THEY SHOULD CHECK WITH THE UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE ADMINISTRATORS IN THEIR STATE, AND WRITE DOWN THE DATE, TIME, AND NAME OF THE PERSON GIVING THEM THE INFORMATION, AS WELL AS WHAT THEY SAID.

That US Airways contests an unenployment insurance claim is of no consequence.

-DCAflyer

"Questions for those negotiating the MDA details for fleet and customer service "

Who is doing the IAM negotiating for fleet service ?

It was in your District Lodge 141 Messenger, I believe it is Mikalvic, Flynn and several others.

It was in your District Lodge 141 Messenger, I believe it is Mikalvic, Flynn and several others.

"several others" do we know who the others are?

I've got those names filed at work, and will get them out ASAP.

An unknown story regarding this committee. I know of a guy that has been active from the get-go; organizing, grievances, local office, etc, that pushed very hard, thru his AGC and higher, to sit on this committee. His concern was the small station were not represented in the original 95-99 negotiations, and did not want that to happen again. He got the brush-off, and suspects, as he is not 'one of the boys', this does not bode well for small stations.

The future has already been set for small stations. The IAM let mainline Jets to be worked by express and MDA agents. Bottomline is they have no idea on how to protect their members. But they do know how to protect the dues flow!!!

Go AGW

The company has the right to contest unemployment all day long. The employee MUST appeal if this happens. You can not turn down what is deemed "sutiable employment", but if you can show that the wages are "substandard" to what you were getting even if it is the same job, then it will be underconsisderation by the Unemployment referee as "not suitble work". Also, for those who turn down MAA employment and do get challenged, specifically f/as please stress to the referee that even though the job pays and hourly rate of $12.97, our work week is approx 20 hours even though we are away for approx 4 days per week. If any one wants information if unemployment is challenged by the company call the AFA PIT local office.

Even if it was negotiated wages. which again is another argument. The winter concession proposal was under liquidation threat and for we f/as, it was the American EAgle contract or Liquidate. But, still no one at the time knew that they would flow into Mid Atlantic. It was under the assumption that this LCC will feed mainline and mainline would grow eventually. No one knew that U would continue to downsize mainline and trigger more furloughs, and Mid Atlantic was going to perhaps get bigger than mainline. These RJs were to basically replace the turbo props. They knew the greater plan, but we as Labor did not know. I personally would not accept a job at Mid Atlantic. I am a 22 year f/a, there is no way that I would start as a 1 year base salary employee. I spoke with a Director of Unemployment and I did get answers that I do not want to put on this forum. As a $40 hour wage earner (20 hour work week) Mid Atlantic is not suitable employment for my family. And those out of base f/as who get recalled to Pittsburgh for Mid-Atlantic do not have to take this type of employment from their homes as well. Example: Ramp agents who make $15-20 per hour can appeal any contested unemployment as the Ramp agents on Mid-Atlantic starts at $6.67 hour.

Point is managment has the "right" to contest, YOU have the right to appeal.

Pittbull,
These are very valid points.
Someone needs to talk to the union reps at the local or MEC level and get this information out. We all need to know this before we take a position. Many will go out of fear. $6.67? Are you serious. You CAN make more starting at Wal Mart!!!!

TWice,

When I speak to $6.67 hourly that is ranmp starting on MAA. For f/as start is $13.01 (20 hr work week average) is the same as working $6.50.

This is appealable. Like I said, info PIT President has can not be public.

No one knew that U would continue to downsize mainline and trigger more furloughs, and Mid Atlantic was going to perhaps get bigger than mainline. These RJs were to basically replace the turbo props. They knew the greater plan, but we as Labor did not know.

How could we not know with U wanting the option of I think 400 of the RJ's
400 RJ's in my mind is another whole airline created from mainline downsizing