Reality Check

Bob Owens said:
uza said:
Bob Owens said:
Where did you get your numbers of mechanics vs aircraft?
You are wrong. Look it up before posting misinformation.
Still waiting. Where did you get your numbers from?
The SWA site says 355 a/c, but a mechanic from the SWA forum said it is now 388 a/c and he also stated 1538 mechanics, which includes all classifications.

U had 3500 mechanics “beforeâ€￾ the recent furloughs, which were 75 just in PIT as reported on this forum recently by pitguy.

If hvy maintenance stays that's one thing, if not, another.

I was talking total ratio and not just line maintenance like one poster stated.

Sentrido,

I looked at the 10K for 3/12/04, and yep, you're right. Just a bigger mushier number of 5100 Mechanics and Related employees. FWIW, the LUV 10-K (interestingly filed way back on 1/29/04 instead of dawdling until March) breaks it out a little more clearly and declares that there were 1956 maintenance employees as of 12/31/03.

Before someone starts running around hooting that we've got 5100 maintenance compared to LUV's 1956, I reiterate, the 5100 number is a broader category of "Mechanics and Related Employees."

What is interesting is that the LUV 10K reveals a number considerably higher than the number "uza" is insisting upon. Since LUV is in the process of bringing more maintenance IN HOUSE and continues to grow its business, I suspect that this 12/31/03 number has either stayed the same or grown slightly.

Also important to note (ONCE AGAIN): Any analysis of how many mechanics it takes to screw in a light bulb at LUV vs. UAIR has to include the number of outsourced maintenance jobs as well as a handicap for the difference between a rationalized fleet at LUV vs. a eclectic fleet at UAIR.

So, once again I ask, HOW 'BOUT THEM NONLABOR COSTS?

Time to go watch Siegel's webside chat! What new promises and threats will be made? Ooooh the suspense!

-Airlineorphan

I don't have figures on the current number of WN mechanics.

Their current fleet, including aircraft in check, is 399. 17 aircraft (the last of their -200's) are due to retire by early June. 47 total new deliveries are scheduled for 2004.

US Currently has about 3300 mechanics and inspectors.