"red Tail"

PineyBob,

Questions for you:
Why didn't you just quit your job if you didn't feel you were being treated fairly?
Why do you feel it is arrogant?

I have already said it before, I work for an airline, one that is severly mismanaged and is being killed by unions who think that it is still the 1970's. I worked my way up the scale, made all the sacrifices and have seen firsthand how corporate insipidness and unionista greed can kill any company. On this forum there are a few individuals who fit the profile of the "irrational unionista". They will scream "no concessions", "let's shut this company down!" and other witticisms. They may have different names and faces, but in the end they are really no different than the clowns who destroyed our steel industry, our auto industry, elctronics, etc. They are the same folks who are spouting lies and falsehoods.

Wake up and smell the coffee. You are the last person I would ever expect to have to say this to PineyBoB, but why defend those who seek to kill not just a company, but also in a way their fellow workers, many of whom are too meek to speak up loud enough to save what they hold dear. You would not defend an arsonist who burns a house down killing all within, you would not defend the nut who straps dynamite to his chest and blows up a bus, killing people he didn't even know? So why defend people who want to burn down a business?

PineyBob said:
See my Uncle landed in the first wave at Normandy, fought with Patton in the Battle of the Bulge, & liberated several camps. Or are you one of those who think the Holocaust was a myth? Those brave young men did those deeds so that PITbull, 700UW, Cavalier, usfliboi, Boeing Boy can ALL have opinions that are DIFFERENT than yours without fear.
PineyBob,
Ok<takes long sigh>. I understand you message. In regards to being insulting or arrogant, I say that the aforementioned persons are as well. And to a certain degree you have been as well. I choose the "devil's advocate" concept of getting a point across here. That is, sometimes the blind are not willing to see, so it takes someone who is like a blinding light shined in the face to wake someone up to the awful reality at hand...

Now, about this quote above. I had to take a few minutes after reading to stop laughing, because you have started to remind me of Walter Sobcheck when you wrote it. Do you know who he is? Watch the movie "The Big Lebowski" to see what I mean. What on earth does the Normandy invasion or the Holocaust have to do with airlines and labor negotiations? I see no correlation whatsoever between the two! And as far as opinions go, what makes you think that PitBull, 700UW,Cav,uslfiboi and the others WOULDN'T have a differring opinion? What is it, your Uncle invaded Europe, therefore PITBull has the right to be as opinionated as she wants to be? She is going to have an opinion no matter what, and not bacuse of something that happened in the past like that.

PineyBob, I had so much respect for you and your posts in the past....now I feel like that respect is begining to keel over like a sinking ship...

Thanks, Bob.

el gato, it is called mutual respect, something you know nothing about.

UseYourHead said:
"Red Tail" is NWA. Do you know why they have red tails?

In the old days, when airlines were just starting out, they flew mail. Northwest, of course, flew in the snow country. Therefore, when an aircraft went down (crashed) in the snow, the only way they could find it was the tail sticking outa the snow...painting them red made it much easier to find them.
Close--
The reason for the red tail is correct, but the timeline is a little off. For NW's first two decades their aircraft, up to and including their latest DC-4s and Martin 202s, did not have red tails. In 1946, after much flying to Alaska during WWII in support of the war effort, NW was granted the right to fly scheduled service to Tokyo and points beyond, via Anchorage and Shemya Island in the Aleutians (a VERY long flight in a DC-4!). It was at that time that they decided to adopt the red tail, in part as a visibility aid, not only for snow but in case a plane was forced down somewhere in the foggy, rocky Aleutians.
Besides, everyone else was freshening or adopting new color schemes after the war, so Northwest might as well, too! The red tails started to appear on the NW fleet in 1948.

We now return you to the regular and never-ending labor/management debate...

It's fairly obvious to me that (if he even has a dog in this fight) that El Gato is either a very senior employee or management, and that the sacrificing of MORE jobs to save HIS bacon is his goal. What we call "the American Way of Life" was largely brought about by labor unions and the labor movement in general. If you don't like the "American Way of Life", as it sounds that you don't, you need to go live somewhere else, where living, working and even dying conditions can be imposed by others. There, that's my opinion. Now pardon me if I ignore your future remarks, since they are obviously intended to create dissension and tend to be singularly aimed at having others sacrifice their livlihoods to save yours. :shock:

Maybe it involves both carriers?

g_vbee.jpg

n306nb.jpg

Well, part of the story has come true. Actually sort of surprising considering how "inside" information goes. Now lets see if the rest of Red Tail materializes.

On another thread, I postulated that Branson would provide the cash to void the ATSB requirements, in exchange for assets at BOS, LGA and DCA. Then the rest could be sold to NWA. But would NWA want PHL and CLT and if so, would be real reason be to undo UAL and supplant them in Star? But then why would NWA want to do that? Wouldn't that just ensure jetBlue at ORD in a big way?

Good luck everyone.

FLYAWAY said:
Well, part of the story has come true. Actually sort of surprising considering how "inside" information goes. Now lets see if the rest of Red Tail materializes.
Well, on second thought... maybe the 'red tail' rumour has nothing to do with NWA. (Of course, it's likely to do with nothing more than stirring the pot!)

If Bronner can manage to extinguish the ATSB issues, that might be the path for the retirement fund to start playing with UAL's assets in bankruptcy court. Wouldn't be an easier path to sell DCA, LGA and BOS for cash to Branson, then fold CLT and PHL into UAL's structure, minus IAD, which would fit better into SkyTeam OR oneWorld than PHL?

Then the industry would be roughly:

Star: hubs in PHL, CLT, ORD, DEN, SFO with LAX and MIA.

SkyTeam: hubs in ATL, CVG, DTW, IAH, MSP, SLC with major ops at MCO, JFK, LAX, SEA, DFW and maybe IAD

oneWorld: hubs in DFW, ORD, JFK, MIA, SEA and maybe IAD.

RowUnderDCA,
The more you speculate, the more things begin to make sense. The stigma of the "old" management is lifted and the possibilities endless. The seatbelt sign is on and the ride is about to begin!

I might add that, the new Branson carrier and Virgin Atlantic could join Star and then UAL could sell its LHR rights to SkyTeam.

So, you'd have operations in congested airports financing the StarNA transformation (well except for AC... I haven't had any 'brainstorms' about them yet.)