Reoranization Plan to be Filed Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biff:[BR][BR]Biff said: And another thing ask Chip what an IRO does on a european flight, he sits in the jump seat getting paid flight pay to sit in either of the pilots seat if they have to go potty, eat or take a nap. That is a good use of a $200,000 salary.[BR][BR]Chip comments: [FONT size=2]Biff, this is misrepresentation. Any time a flight is dispatched with over eight hours of duty time the FAA requires a relief pilot. This rule applies to any Part 121 Flag Air Carrier. The IRO is Captain qualified, holds a Type Rating, is typically a reserve, thus his/her income is half of what you proclaim in your misrepresentation. By the way, you tell others to not interfere with your union negotiations, but you sure seem to stick your nose into other unions. Hypocritical, isn't it? If you are going to make false statements, do you have the courage to honestly identify yourself?[BR][BR]If employees do not like the present financial circumstances they have an option: quit. [BR][BR][/FONT]Chip[BR][BR]

Time to dig out the history books and review what happened at Eastern Airlines the last time IAM held a company's fate in their hands. This is serious, and this is final. Please do not kid yourselves that this is just a ploy.

That showdown shutdown the largest major carrier on the east coast for good, Hmmmm. Kinda sounds familiar to our own situation, eh?

Food for thought

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 12/20/2002 1:46:02 PM Biffeman wrote:
[P]ITrade, it was a push, and you do not know if it was utility or a mechanic doing the pushback. But since you like to throw stones, mechanic and related only do r&d at 22 stations, we fly into 89 and the stations where the ramp does r&d there is a higher rate of aircraft damage not because of 67 more stations, I am talking the same amount ot arrivals and departures.[BR][BR]----------------[/P][/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P]This is the humorous statistic that IAM likes to throw around - "mechanic and related only do r&d at 22 stations." The 22 stations include the three hubs and BOS, DCA, and LGA. So, for basically 98% of US Airways flights, there is an inherent inefficiency and waste of resources by having this done.[/P]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/20/2002 12:40:21 PM A320 Driver wrote:

It was NOT a bluff. We will need all the employee groups on board to weather a worst case scenerio.
A320 Driver
----------------
[/blockquote]

No doubt all the unions need to be on board. But there was no crisis this week, other than the one they created. This was all manufactured to press more concessions out of you while they can.

The company needs these concessions to complete its application. They will file one tonight and amend it shortly after the present negotiations are concluded. If we wait until January to file, it jeopardizes the time line they set for our emerging from chapter 11. We need to be "free and clear" to navigate before the second quarter. We will have opportunities should we get this thing done; otherwise we stay the way we are until we are run out of business.

This is just my understanding of current events.

A320 Driver

[FONT size=3][FONT face="Times New Roman"]Biff:[BR][BR]Biff said: "I have my democratic right to support my union and get the best deal possible to impact myself and my comembers."[BR][BR]Chip comments: You absolutely have a democratic right to support your union, but you do not have a morale right to purposely misinform or misrepresent facts. [/FONT][FONT face="Times New Roman"]Biff, with all due respect, can you tell me how you will get the "best deal possible" if the airline does not meet the ATSB 7 percent profit margin and liquidates? It seems the UAL employees got a cold dose of reality with their ATSB rejection; therefore, most observers believe the IAM and AFA could significantly influence the same result at US, thus joepordizing the carrier remaining an on-going concern. It's funny how the IAM is at it again 10 years later at another East Coast carrier; however, let's not forget the PBGC is still out there. Without a pension modification like struck between ALPA and the company, the IAM and AFA are at greater risk of having their retirement plan frozen, distress terminated, or a voluntary termination as a result of [FONT color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Times-Roman"]the company only capable of meeting minimum funding requirements and the negative performance of [/SPAN][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT size=3][FONT face="Times New Roman"][FONT color=black][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11.5pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Times-Roman"]financial and equity markets.[BR][BR]Maybe the company will play the PBGC card and those unions without new concessions will lose their pension saving the company over $150 million per year for hte next six years for a total of about $930 million. Who knows? [/SPAN][/FONT] [BR][BR]By the way, you didn't answer my question. Do you have the courage to honestly identify yourself on this message board instead of misrepresenting facts?[BR] [/FONT][BR][FONT face="Times New Roman"]Chip[/FONT][/FONT]

Chip, enough! The IAM and the AFA have to do what is best for their membership, if we (141M) would have gone with the original company proposal without checking the figures (cause the company's figures ARE NEVER right) it would have caused mass layoffs in maintenance. A union's job is to protect the membership as best as they can. So we stayed out of your union's (ALPA) negotiations, please stay out of mine. [BR][BR]You know the more you become Siegel's cheerleader you really sound like he is pimping you out.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 12/20/2002 1:46:02 PM Biffeman wrote:

ITrade, it was a push, and you do not know if it was utility or a mechanic doing the pushback. But since you like to throw stones, mechanic and related only do r&d at 22 stations, we fly into 89 and the stations where the ramp does r&d there is a higher rate of aircraft damage not because of 67 more stations, I am talking the same amount ot arrivals and departures.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Can we assume that mechanic and related do R & D at PHL?

[note the sarcasm]
If the answer is yes, I'm glad those licensed mechanics managed to trash a couple of 330s. Maybe licensed drivers would be more apropos.
[sarcasm]

Damn shame that US has a fleet now comprised of mostly (all?) planes with underwing engines. I'd love to see the IAM dance if powerbacks were the norm.

Chip,
I believe that our viability is at stake. Additionally, I am willing to make reasonable, short-term concessions. However, the 'sore that will not heal' is: it's always the employees fault. Let's go back to your previous post...Revenues must hit their target to secure RSA funding...Perhaps Mr. Bonner should have thought of that prior to making the statement "I'll Chapter 7 it". Any guess to the decline in meeting our 'revenue target' after that statement?

I realize that finger-pointing will not solve U's problems. However, it would be nice if our management would one time admit that mistakes are not always labors' fault.

Chip:

Care to tell us your thoughts on what might come out of this POR tonight? Might it contain anything shocking or even the least bit interesting?

And I think AFA (I can't speak for IAM) are probably close to an agreement. Seems the company is confident enough that it will get what it needs to go ahead and file the POR.

No Chip, I have my democratic right to support my union and get the best deal possible to impact myself and my comembers. Where were you in 1992 when the IAM got the shaft from the Company? You were either in the cockpit flying or sitting at home getting paid no to fly cause all ALPA cares about is ALPA. [BR][BR]Where were you from 1995 till October of 1999 when the IAM mechanic and related could not get a contract from the company, they made money while our wages were not increasing, but the cost of goods and services around us were![BR][BR]I have never stuck my nose into ALPA's negotiations or told any pilot how to vote, you should respect the same and stop telling us how to vote, you are a pilot, not a wall street analyst, the DIP financier or the CEO of the airline. Did you not learn anything when your own union had to disavow you when you chastised the CWA and the IAM back in August in the Charlotte Observer?[BR][BR]We all know why ALPA gives the most and is always the first, because you make the most, have the highest pensions, have the most to lose if the company goes chapter 7 and will have the hardest time finding a job paying anywhere near the compensation you have now. [BR][BR]So if you live in a glass house I suggest you do not throw stones. [BR][BR]And to Clue, the IAM were at eastern where powerbacks were done on 757 and A300 aircraft which have engines mounted on the wings. The company at anytime can chose to go to powerbacking airplanes, they need FAA and each airport where they do it at approval and it will still be mechanic and utility giving them the required hand signals, and we have it in out Maintenance Policy and Procedure manual now as we speak, the company does not utilize it because it is not cost effective, it takes too much life of the engine and cannot be accomplished at every airport we fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.