Repercusions for the GOP if Obama wins re-election ?

Have you see the platform that Romney ran on?

If you want TP, its Freedom Works.
Who do you think nailed Lugar, I think it was? Tea Party.
Who do you think killed TP and saved Hatch? GOP

All I'm trying to say is TP had no input into the convention.
No I didn't see his platform in writing, mostly what his inferences were.

You got to remember, a lot of Con ideals are TP ideals too. I'd think Mitt would have tried to get their support but I don't think he ran on their platform as a matter of choice.

You got to remember, a lot of Con ideals are TP ideals too. I'd think Mitt would have tried to get their support but I don't think he ran on their platform as a matter of choice.
I agree with you there.

I think the real Mitt Romney was the guy who ran against Ted Kennedy. Too bad he did not stick with his core beliefs. He instead decided that he needed to pander.

I think that came from being a candidate for 6 years, rather than actually doing something. His advisors were feeding him with the sunshine pump. He ate it up.

The rest is history.

I agree with you there.

I think the real Mitt Romney was the guy who ran against Ted Kennedy. Too bad he did not stick with his core beliefs. He instead decided that he needed to pander.

I think that came from being a candidate for 6 years, rather than actually doing something. His advisors were feeding him with the sunshine pump. He ate it up.

The rest is history.

They could have done better with the minority vote. I didn't see a real outreach.

One troubling thing about minorities....anytime I've seen GOP minority candidates who are successful, electable, good solid people, DNC slanders the dickens out of them. I'm not pointing fingers, merely stating fact, Its terrible.

GOP is too much old school....Hatch should make one realize that is true. Granted he's a fine man and so on, but c'mon......its time for new blood and new thought.
GOP is in trouble no doubt.

Reactions: 2 people
Delldude, just FYI, I originally thought that Romney would be an excellent candidate, and I was considering voting for him. I can't deny that I have been rather disappointed in Obama so far. However, the more Romney changed his tune on one issue after another, and even when confronted with recordings of his statements his "handlers" would insist that he never said such a thing, the less I was inclined toward him.

As far as your comment about the GOP, I agree. I heard a great comment from one of the political commentators today. He said that "the Republican Party is a 'Mad Men' party in a 'Modern Family' world. He also stated that the GOP has got to find a way to attract the latino vote. George Bush won in 2004 by winning 40% of the latino vote. That is going to be the minimum in the future because the latino vote is going to continue to grow.

Heard another interesting statistic today...25 years ago, over 90% of the people who voted in a Presidential election were non-Hispanic Caucasians. This year it was more like 72%, and it is going to continue to drop. Due to the nature of the human beast, if you are the party of angry old white men, you have a steady natural reduction in your voter base.

Reactions: 3 people
Delldude, just FYI, I originally thought that Romney would be an excellent candidate, and I was considering voting for him. I can't deny that I have been rather disappointed in Obama so far. However, the more Romney changed his tune on one issue after another, and even when confronted with recordings of his statements his "handlers" would insist that he never said such a thing, the less I was inclined toward him.

As far as your comment about the GOP, I agree. I heard a great comment from one of the political commentators today. He said that "the Republican Party is a 'Mad Men' party in a 'Modern Family' world. He also stated that the GOP has got to find a way to attract the latino vote. George Bush won in 2004 by winning 40% of the latino vote. That is going to be the minimum in the future because the latino vote is going to continue to grow.

Heard another interesting statistic today...25 years ago, over 90% of the people who voted in a Presidential election were non-Hispanic Caucasians. This year it was more like 72%, and it is going to continue to drop. Due to the nature of the human beast, if you are the party of angry old white men, you have a steady natural reduction in your voter base.
Very well stated.
B) xUT

Reactions: 1 person
xUT, I don't have the link available right now for my source, but it was exit poll data...

Using the numbers from your graphic:

Black: 2 + 24 = 26; 2/26 = 7.7% (I had 7%)
Latino: 6 + 14 = 20; 6 / 20 = 30% (I had 29%)
Asian: 2 + 4 = 6; 2/6 = 30% (I had 27%)

Adjusting the % downward to make up for differences in total votes cast per candidate, the numbers are spot on with what I'd posted earlier.

There are definitely some overlaps with fiscal conservatives and the Tea Party's fiscal platform (anti-spending / pro-balanced-budget), but that's pretty much where I see the similarities end. Michelle Bachmann, Rick Santorum and Sarah Palin fit right into the Tea Party mold.

Romney may be a social-conservative in his personal life, but I didn't see where he was pushing a social-conservative platform. Tea Party also had little interest in reaching across the aisle. I thought Romney went out of his way to say he wanted to work across the aisle to reach solutions... that's part of the appeal he had in his debate performances.

The Latino vote is absolutely crucial to Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, California and Nevada.. If you look closely, the Catholic Latinos (redundant, perhaps?) are far more aligned with the conservative social values in the GOP's platform, particularly on gay marriage and abortion. Where they lost the community was immigration. The Obama spin machine had Latinos convinced that Romney was going to round up all the illegals and bus them off to Juarez and Tijuana... Never mind the fact that he never said anything remotely close to that... just the perception that it might be true was enough to turn people off.

Bush had a far more pragmatic approach (DADT?) to immigration, and that's why he got Latino votes. Obama simply won them over by executive order...

I agree with you there.

The rest is history.

Don't all politicians pander ? It's in their dna !

Where they lost the community was immigration. The Obama spin machine had Latinos convinced that Romney was going to round up all the illegals and bus them off to Juarez and Tijuana... Never mind the fact that he never said anything remotely close to that... just the perception that it might be true was enough to turn people off.
Romney's Demise May Be Traceable To These Two Words-"Self Deportation"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2012/11/07/romneys-demise-may-be-traceable-to-these-two-words-self-deportation/

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with you there.

The rest is history.

I found this article and it shows what I was trying to convey to you about GOP and TP. Check it out.

The Republican comeback did not begin with innocuous candidates; it began with angry protesters in costumes and Gadsden flags marching outside ObamaCare town halls. The 2010 midterm election triumphs were not the work of a timorous establishment, but of a vigorous grassroots opposition. And once the Tea Party movement started the fire, the Republican establishment acted like the Tea Party had sabotaged their comeback and cut the ties with their own grassroots movement. Separated, the Republican grassroots and the Republican Party both withered on the vine.

The Republican Party has tried playing Mr. Nice Guy. It may be time to get back to being an opposition movement. And the way to do that is by relearning the lessons of the Tea Party movement. The Democratic Party began winning when it embraced the left, instead of running away from it. If the Republican Party wants to win, then it has to embrace the right and learn to get angry again.

http://frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/the-tea-party-got-it-right-mitt-got-it-wrong/

Not only does it needs to learn how to embrace the right, it needs to let people in the middle know what the dangers are.

It needs to advertise all the Obamacare layoffs as they happen. It needs to advertise tax hikes as they happen.

Most of all, it needs to point out how minorities are really only important to Democrats on election day.

Latest posts