Report: US Airways F/A arrested in Rome for gun posession

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Came across this on anet, haven't been able to find more. US Airways F/A allegedly tried to bring a disassembled gun, with ammo, on board. Very strange.

News article (in Italian)
http://www.ilmessagg...ie/296049.shtml

Less than perfect Google translation:

Fiumicino - He had a gun in his luggage. This is a hostess American about 60 years old was arrested yesterday by agents of the Border Police at the airport of Fiumicino. The hostess on duty yesterday morning on a U.S. Airways flight from Rome to Charlotte, was found in possession of a revolver, model 'Sig Sauer' .40-caliber, disassembled and placed inside the hand luggage in which were also scattered about forty hits, 5 of which have already exploded.One particular this specific investigation that has already activated also by agents of the Border Police coordinated by the leader of the V Zone Antonio Del Greek, because the hostess stayed in Rome in the days when the capital there has been a series of criminal offenses . the discovery of the weapon, according to what has been learned, it has come during the security checks that are submitted crews. Just before you undergo the inspections of the ritual, the woman, of which you know the initials JJ, was seen making strange movements inside his hand luggage. This has therefore suspicious of all staff assigned to security checks, which have thus been able to discover the gun 'Sig Sauer' caliber 40, found disassembled, and the forty hits, 5 of which have already exploded, scattered inside the trolley. The questions of the investigators, the hostess replied that the weapon had brought to Rome from the United States where, according to his story, the controls on crews departing are made ​​to sample. Arrested carry a weapon abusive, the 'hostess was then transferred to the prison in Civitavecchia. It will be at this point just the Prosecutor's Office of Civitavecchia, which opened an investigation, to try to shed some light on the matter and the reasons for which the woman had a gun with him, though removed. To clarify then, through appropriate examinations, when those shots were fired.

This reminds me of the time a US Airways Express (Repbublic?) F/A tried this in PHL. (This was when where either a TSA or PHL PD officer accidentally fired the weapon). Leaving aside the issue of crew member doing something that stupid, it's one thing to do it in the USA, another thing enitrely in another country. Europe has VERY different gun laws. It will be interesting to get the whole story.

The F/A here is 60. I guess there will one fewer on the standy list from PHL to PIT this afternoon! :)

Reactions: 2 people
This no laughing matter . This can really endanger our Known Crew Member program . Idiot!!

PSA 1771 demonstrated the folly of exempting airline crew from the same security measures as forced upon passengers. Background checks, fingerprints and decades of lawful behaviour prove nothing about someone's propensity to violate laws and bring firearms or other prohibited items thru checkpoints. An AA FA had a gun in her bag last year at ORD - she was getting ready to work a flight to PVG:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11-24/news/chi-flight-attendants-husband-left-gun-in-bag-attorney-says-20121124_1_flight-attendant-schultz-carryon-bag

Another Isolated Incident™ where an airline employee, who bypassed security, brought a firearm into the sterile area. :rolleyes: About a dozen times since 2007 alone that I can find.

If the Association of Flight Attendants and other special interest groups were serious about security, they would demand that everyone, including airline and TSA employees, get common sense screening to access the sterile area. Walk through / hand held metal detector, x-ray of belongings, explosive trace portal / explosive trace detection. Nothing more, nothing less.

Instead, they seek special privileges as the TSA inflicts more onerous security theatre such as the Scope N’ Gropes. “Our contact sucks, but we’ve got Known Crewmember, so at least we have this going for us.”

Similar to the recent outcry over small pocket knives, AFA in 2005 launched a shrill website complete with a photo of knives that had no bearing on the reality of what the TSA decided to approve at the time. Last I checked, no aircraft have fallen out of the sky since 2005 because of what caused AFA surch dire concern.

The FAA is a tombstone agency, and will do nothing until another PSA 1771 occurs. A fired ground employee bypasses the checkpoint with a firearm, using credentials that were not surrendered when he was terminated. Solution? Make all crews go through security. Well, except all those places where they don’t, visible to anyone.

The TSA is a moron agency, forcing unnecessary intrusive security theatre on everyone. When they realize they’ve bit off more than they can chew in terms of their own checkpoint throughput resources, as well as pushback from airline employees and the travelling public, out come the loopholes and priveleges for animals that are more equal than other animals like Known Crewmember and PreCheck.

Association of Flight Attendants Air Safety, Health and Security Director Christopher Witkowski has done nothing to address this loophole. Instead, he spends his member’s resources testifying before the House about “threats” that only exist in Hollywood action flicks:

Go get those Evil-Doers, MacGyver! :huh: :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder if this was intentional on the F/A's part. Perhaps she inadvertently carried the gun to work through Known Crew Member access. Then, when unpacking in Rome realized the serious problem ("Oops...forgot to take this out of that carry-on I used to go to target practice yesterday.") She then worked out a solution that she thought might actually work...disassemble the gun so it might get past screening.

Better solutions:

- Bite the bullet! (pun intended) Disassemble the gun and discretely toss the parts in the Tiber. Financial loss, but no jail time.
- Disassemble the gun and mail the parts home in separate packages, mailing/shipping each one from a different post office or Fedex facility. Toss the ammo in the river.
- Call the union, 'fess up' to them and get some legal assistance. Call in sick (which was probably true once she realized her predicament) to buy some time to let the lawyers figure it out. Probably would have advised voluntary surrender of the weapon to police for disposal. Financial loss, possible legal ramifications, but the "right thing to do."

Is anyone beside me bothered by the "Gee, I forgot I had a gun in my bag" argument? If the NRA says everyone should have a gun and there would be less crime, then we are faced with having people running around with them that are so scatterbrained that they forgot they had it? I'm just not buying the forgetful argument. If she truly forgot that she had a gun in her possession after all that has happened in the past 12 years, she has no business being a flight attendant--you know, safety professional as our unions are always preaching.

Is anyone beside me bothered by the "Gee, I forgot I had a gun in my bag" argument? If the NRA says everyone should have a gun and there would be less crime, then we are faced with having people running around with them that are so scatterbrained that they forgot they had it? I'm just not buying the forgetful argument. If she truly forgot that she had a gun in her possession after all that has happened in the past 12 years, she has no business being a flight attendant--you know, safety professional as our unions are always preaching.

Must be terribly depressing to be perfect like you and have to live with human beings that actually make mistakes.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts