RESERVE/FA's

skyguy25

Advanced
Nov 30, 2003
I was wondering if anyone could briefly describe the basics to your reserve system at Delta for flight attendants. I know that everyone does reserve some how a few days a month, but if i could get some specifics please. How does this system effect days off and the structure of the pairings? The FA contract at my airline is up next year and its always good to present new ideas and options. Thanks in advance.

or a link to an online copy of your contract? thanks!

We have a system where most flight attendants have 3 Access Days (ADYS). On these ADYS, you are essentually a reserve flight attendant. The rest of the month, you are considered a trip holder.

Generally, the top 25% of the seniority list does not have ADYS.

On your ADYS, if you see a trip in open flying that you want, you can preference it. Assuming nothing irregular is happening, scheduing will work the preferences in seniority order and assign trips to the senior ADY flight attendant who requested it.

If no one has preferenced a trip, scheduing will reverse assign the trip to the junior ADY flight attendant.

That is the theory in a nutshell. However, in reality, it does not always work as it should.

We have a system where most flight attendants have 3 Access Days (ADYS). On these ADYS, you are essentually a reserve flight attendant. The rest of the month, you are considered a trip holder.

Generally, the top 25% of the seniority list does not have ADYS.

On your ADYS, if you see a trip in open flying that you want, you can preference it. Assuming nothing irregular is happening, scheduing will work the preferences in seniority order and assign trips to the senior ADY flight attendant who requested it.

If no one has preferenced a trip, scheduing will reverse assign the trip to the junior ADY flight attendant.

That is the theory in a nutshell. However, in reality, it does not always work as it should.

Very good explanation. As I've said on another thread, people either love it, hate it, or are indifferent. I personally think it's nice that nobody has to sit straight reserve. I did it for my first 2 years, and when I hear of some bases on reserve for 8-9 years; let's just say I feel bad for them.

thanks so much for a quick reply. Maybe it is something that would interest our work group. What is three days of RSV- nothing at all! seems like it is a good deal. Currently we have a rotating RSV. depending on the size of your base, it generally is 2 months of a hard line and then one full month of reserves being either Ready Reserve, AM reseve or PM reserve. OF course the top 35% of the base never sits RSV. SO its that simple huh?? just three little days a month? u guys over at DL have it great with your schedules. thanks again. if you have a link to you contract that would be great! thanks again

thanks so much for a quick reply. Maybe it is something that would interest our work group. What is three days of RSV- nothing at all! seems like it is a good deal. Currently we have a rotating RSV. depending on the size of your base, it generally is 2 months of a hard line and then one full month of reserves being either Ready Reserve, AM reseve or PM reserve. OF course the top 35% of the base never sits RSV. SO its that simple huh?? just three little days a month? u guys over at DL have it great with your schedules. thanks again. if you have a link to you contract that would be great! thanks again

Well, we've never had a contract because we don't have a union. We do have "work rules", but the link to those are password-protected for employees only.

Sounds great. Bring it on, along with United's four hour call out. This system is broken. Reserves are employees too and I'm over being a welfare eligible slave for flight attendants with far too much flexibility. Flame me if you will but most of the secopnd half of the US seniority list feel the same way whether they say it or not.

Sounds great. Bring it on, along with United's four hour call out. This system is broken. Reserves are employees too and I'm over being a welfare eligible slave for flight attendants with far too much flexibility. Flame me if you will but most of the secopnd half of the US seniority list feel the same way whether they say it or not.

We are all SOOOO there with you. Why should we sit reserve in a different city for years on end and only make 40 hours a month, so that Suzy Q senior hag can sit in her hotel room in Paris eating Bon-Bons 6 trips a month making 70,000 a year and weighing in close to that.....Bitter??? Me?? Naw lol