May 19, 2003
Visit site
'Revenue Synergy'
Is Key for US Air
And America West

By SUSAN CAREY
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
May 23, 2005; Page B4

Crucial to the success of the planned merger of US Airways Group Inc. and America West Holdings Corp. is the "revenue synergy" expected to flow from knitting together two largely regional route networks, offering more choices for consumers and being able to compete for new corporate travel contracts.

But the reality will amount to winning back business from road warriors such as Art Pushkin and Greg Johnston, two high-mileage US Airways customers who recently defected to rival airlines.

Regaining their goodwill will depend on service. But potential employee unrest over possible furloughs, a shrinking of the combined airline and the tricky business of integrating union seniority lists might make good service hard to come by. The companies have said they need to lose 5,000 of the combined 42,000 jobs -- through attrition, they hope -- and shrink the fleet by 15%.

Mr. Pushkin, a regional sales manager for a digital printer maker, flies 150,000 miles a year and holds US Airways' most elite frequent-flier status. But lately, the Long Island, N.Y., resident has been traveling on UAL Corp.'s United Airlines. "I get frustrated because [US Airways] does things that don't make sense," Mr. Pushkin said last week, the day the merger was announced. "I don't feel they're paying attention to their high-volume customers."

Mr. Pushkin said he traveled on United last week because he was going to the West Coast, where US Airways, currently in bankruptcy-court reorganization, has closed its airport clubs. The sales manager gives US Airways credit for having "by far the best rank-and-file front-line employees in the industry," but said poor management decisions such as the ones that caused a Christmastime staffing shortage and lost-luggage meltdown are "inexcusable."

Mr. Johnston, a sales manager for a furniture company in Hickory, N.C., who takes 300 flights a year, said he gave up on US Airways three months ago, and has switched to Delta Air Lines. "I defected for a number of reasons," he said. "Filthy planes. Filthy airports. The front-line staff are good, but management gives them nothing to work with."

Both men, members of a consumer advocacy group called Ffocus that is made up of US Airways frequent fliers, said they think the marriage of US Airways, a bigger East Coast carrier, and America West, a smaller, low-cost West Coast airline, could result in a viable carrier with a better route network.

"It's an absolutely wonderful proposition -- with new management," said Mr. Johnston. "I'd very much like to see this thing go through. We've been holding up America West's business strategy to US Air management for three years."

The merged airline, which would be run by Doug Parker, America West's chief executive officer, contemplates $600 million in annual synergies resulting from route restructuring, cost savings and additional revenue. The plan envisions $150 million to $200 million by cutting unprofitable flying, matching aircraft size to route demand and adding flights to Hawaii. It sees a like amount in additional revenue coming from improved connections between the two route networks, flying the planes more hours per day and enhancing its position in secondary markets where neither currently has much presence.

"We should be able to generate higher yields than the two of us do independently by getting a better business mix," Mr. Parker said Friday. "If we can price and schedule the airlines as one, that will bring out these revenue synergies." Once the deal closes this fall, the two, flying under the US Airways banner, will immediately integrate their managements, scheduling, pricing, marketing and frequent-flier plans, which will deliver "99% of the synergies very quickly," he said.

But some analysts were quick to cast doubt on the expected synergies and raise concerns that integrating the two company's unionized workers will be more difficult than the two airlines are saying. "We believe the magnitude of revenue growth will be much smaller than expected," Goldman Sachs airline analyst Glenn Engel said in a research note Friday. And "with the most junior captain at US Airways having a tenure of 19 years, versus the most junior [America West] captain having a tenure of seven years, management will have an uphill battle with pilot unions as AWA pilots could potentially lose seniority."

Write to Susan Carey at [email protected]

Airport clubs?? This goes back to my original question of what kind of airline is the new U going to be? A so-called low-cost carrier with high-cost frills??? Or are we talking about a full service international airline with low-pay employees?

whlinder said:
Man you guys are like freakin celebrities.

But that doghouse must be real comfortable...
[post="272230"][/post]​
Don't know who this Poosken fellow is but he sounds like a real dipomat. :D

As far as the dog house goes, I understand that some renovations are expected soon due to new owners. We'll see......

Bubba

not to offend, Bob, but I believe the term is "fecal hemmorage." Feces, in and of itself, cannot hemmorage.

you see, my wife says I'm an expert since I'm 'full of it.'

whlinder said:
Man you guys are like freakin celebrities.

But that doghouse must be real comfortable...
[post="272230"][/post]​

And it doesn't stop as PineyBob is in today's Wash Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5052301936.html

Many frequent fliers had sought to use up their miles by taking friends and family members on trips. Robert Johnson, an office products sales manager in Mystic Island, N.J., burned off nearly 300,000 frequent-flier miles during the past year. He has about 100,000 frequent-flier miles left and plans to start rebuilding his account.

"I am beyond excited about this merger," said Johnson, who takes about 200 trips a year on US Airways. "I think this is great for the flier who was concerned about their miles."

whlinder said:
I dunno Bob, sounds like you might be trying to make your way out of the doghouse.
[post="272474"][/post]​
Just got off the phone from the second phone call since this article appeared. This morning it was from the director of the HKY airport. Yesterday it was from Delta. I've had emails from about 10 different people after the article appeared in the WSJ, none associated with Flyertalk or US Aviation. Funny how I've heard from everyone but the folks at US Airways. You would think that they would want to communicate with pax that travel as much as do we every week.

Guess not and that says it all.

woof, woof woof.

Frankly Bob I feel there should be more shouting for Al's head on a stick in front of the DCA terminal. It could be turned into a charity event with the highest bidder being able to throw it into the Potomac. On a more serious note he's shown absolutely no "leadership" during his tenure and gestapo like reign at US Airways. If someone would throw his little arse out on the curb like it should've been done years ago maybe CCY would be able to have a little credibility. Thankfully once this merger goes through CCY will be more like Abu Ghraib. A bad and distant memory with memories that will last a lifetime. The good thing is business colleges will be using what was practiced there for years to come with case studies on mismanagement, unguided leadership and greed. Maybe a new book series?? "Success! US Airways Management Step by Step Method on How to Kill a Company" Co-authored by Al Crellin and Wolfie.

PineyBob said:
CCY has never clearly stated to me who was responsible for the X-mas meltdown. They have IMPLIED that it was the fault of labor without coming right out and saying so. The DOT report refutes that implication pretty handily.
[post="272589"][/post]​

That implication right there sums up the entire problem at CCY. They'll never get it....EVER!