Revolver Pointed At The Heads Of The Unions

cavalier

Veteran
Aug 28, 2002
www.usaviation.com
By Steve Halvonik
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, July 17, 2004

Cash-strapped US Airways is seeking to reduce retirement benefits to ticket, gate and reservations agents by $13 million a year and to slash some salaries by up to 35 percent as part of its $1.5 billion cost-cutting drive.
Chief Executive Officer Bruce Lakefield laid out details of the plan during a meeting Tuesday with Morty Bahr, president of the Communications Workers of America.

According to the CWA, Lakefield proposed:

Eliminating retiree medical coverage, saving $5 million a year.

Reducing company contributions to current employees' 401(k) retirement plans by $8 million a year.

Slashing the top pay rate from $20 an hour to $13 an hour for workers who don't accept company buyouts.
"What the company is proposing is extreme for this work group,'' said Candice Johnson, a CWA spokeswoman.

US Airways is asking all labor groups to cut wages and benefits by $800 million as part of its cost-cutting effort. The company has said it could default on $726 million in federally guaranteed loans and file for bankruptcy if employees don't approve the givebacks by September.

Lakefield also raised pension concerns in a closed-door meeting with flight attendants earlier this week in Pittsburgh.

According to a local labor leader who attended the meeting, Lakefield said that making $110 million in payments to the flight attendants' and mechanics' pension funds in September could cause the company to default on its $726 million in federally backed loans.

David Castelveter, a US Airways spokesman, declined yesterday to discuss the September pension payments. He also played down the significance of Lakefield's proposals to Bahr, characterizing them as a starting point in bargaining.

"We exchanged concepts and ideas with the CWA leading into the start of formal negotiations," Castelveter said.

US Airways' talks with the CWA are scheduled to begin the week of July 26, Johnson said yesterday.

The CWA's decision Wednesday to enter talks was reported the next day by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Other local news organizations were reporting incorrectly as late as yesterday that the CWA had not agreed to enter talks.

The flight attendants' union said yesterday that negotiations with US Airways would begin Tuesday in Washington, D.C.

"We're delighted that the unions are coming to the negotiating table," Castelveter said.

The mechanics union is the last holdout against concession talks, and spokesman Joe Tiberi said yesterday that would not change.

"Our members told us they don't want to reopen the contract, and we won't," Tiberi said.

US Airways is seeking $122 million in concessions from the CWA, $267 million from the mechanics' union, $116 million from flight attendants, and $295 million from pilots.

Like the mechanics union, the CWA is insisting that it doesn't want to reopen its contract. That position is almost untenable, said Marick Masters, a University of Pittsburgh professor who is writing an academic paper on US Airways' labor relations.

US Airways' concession demands are so large that labor groups will likely be unable to meet their savings targets without accepting pension cuts.

"US Airways has a revolver pointed at the heads of the unions, and five of the six chambers are loaded," Masters said.

Also yesterday, the flight attendants union announced that 200 members, including 45 from Pittsburgh, had signed up for a voluntary severance package. The program permits those who voluntarily resign to receive post-employment travel benefits for themselves and some family members.

Only 28 of the 200 flight attendants who accepted the offer are currently active employees, the union said. Their seniority ranged from March 1976 to April 1999.

Has anyone heard if US management is trying to get better airport leases? Or have the approached Embraer to delay deleivery or lower the price of AC? Or have they approached any other corporations in which they conduct business with, to have them lower their prices by 30%?

If NO, this may explain why they may not want to take another trip thru bk. This may confirm their desperation at this point!! AS US may not want to go to BK only for labor!!!

It is diffficult maybe impossible to negotiate with people who broke your last negotiated agreement!

According to a local labor leader who attended the meeting, Lakefield said that making $110 million in payments to the flight attendants' and mechanics' pension funds in September could cause the company to default on its $726 million in federally backed loans.

David Castelveter, a US Airways spokesman, declined yesterday to discuss the September pension payments.
Historically speaking, Airlines have always operated with grossly underfunded pension funds. So why all of a sudden does $220 Million go into the pensions :huh: ???

Do we not need an "x" amount of cash on hand to remain within the ATSB terms??? If you ask me (unlike Castleveter) I will venture to say that the possibility of the 2nd-Q being a possible "break even" result is interfering with the concession campaign <_< !!! Heaven forbid if we showed a measley profit.

Yeah, yeah I know the company is in trouble but one must question such motives......ones that the company spokesperson declines to elaborate on.

Where there's cheese you'll find RATS for certain:down: !!!

delldude said:
ahh...i just love the smell of napalm in the morning.....
Marick Masters is brilliant. He's the one who made that quote about "revolver pointed at the heads of the unions"...

He is a professor at the University of Pittsburgh, where I graduated. :up:

He teaches graduate students on Labor relations.

He's written two books.

One that I just read published 1997 "unions at the Crossroad". He's speaks about the advantages of establishing a strike fund and unions merging and affiliating with one another to merge funds in order to survive.

Writing is his first profession; his second is teaching Labor studies.

E-TRONS said:

David Castelveter, a US Airways spokesman, declined yesterday to discuss the September pension payments.
Historically speaking, Airlines have always operated with grossly underfunded pension funds. So why all of a sudden does $220 Million go into the pensions :huh: ???

Do we not need an "x" amount of cash on hand to remain within the ATSB terms??? If you ask me (unlike Castleveter) I will venture to say that the possibility of the 2nd-Q being a possible "break even" result is interfering with the concession campaign <_< !!! Heaven forbid if we showed a measley profit.

Yeah, yeah I know the company is in trouble but one must question such motives......ones that the company spokesperson declines to elaborate on.

Where there's cheese you'll find RATS for certain:down: !!!
The pension liability is $110; not $220 million.

Managment is trying to bust labor, change agreements so profoundly in order to ensure employees won't stay long with the company. They want a revolving door...as will probably all of Corporate America. They want you to either work for min. wage as an older worker or not at all. Just ask CWA and AFA.

They know it, IAM knows it, all of labor knows it, Masters knows it, and the public and politicians know it.

U does have close to a billion cash on hand, they just don't want to spend it on a pension fund for employees they just don't want around. They would rather hand the liability to PBGC. Hell, folks that go into BK to get out of their obligations and even consider it a second time, shows the caliber of company we're talking about here.

If Management, Bronner and Lakefield really had a concern about the employees and their jobs, they should ask to dismiss the arbitration for the IAM outsource issue as "good faith" and sit down with IAM like reasonable people. IAM mechanics are far from being paid the highest in the industry. Management just wants out of the business of having employees with benefits.

Are you sure? Have you seen the figures?? The way I read it is both the F/A's (and) Mechanics pension funds rcvd $110 Million.

I was wrong once but I was mistaken B) !!

E-TRONS said:
Are you sure? Have you seen the figures?? The way I read it is both the F/A's (and) Mechanics pension funds rcvd $110 Million.

I was wrong once but I was mistaken B) !!
Trons,

I saw the figures the company put out regarding the pension funding for Sept. Its $110 million total for IAM, AFA and including the frozen pensions of CWA and managment that was in 1992. Only thing is these figures don't jive with another report they put out specifically regarding the f/as pension. Our funding for Sept should only be $14 million, not $53 million as the company told the MEC two months ago on May 6. U has created our cost target of $116 million (same as IAM) with 60% ($63 million pension) of the savings going towards the bogie number. One report from mangment is saying our f/a pension liability is $53 million plus $10 million in retiree medical ($63 Mil total for this year) and another company report saying $21 million with $7 million already paid down towards the pension liability for the year for f/as.

Then you have senior managment when questioned, replying," uh, we aren't sure. WELL MAKE UP YOUR DAMN MINDS....

SAY ONE LIE AND STICK WITH IT FOR CRIP SAKES!!!

Well the media got a hold of the pension issue and blew that lie right out of the water. Now all attentions is on the pension issue.

Exposure sometimes is a good thing. ;) Helps cast a "light" on the fibbing and over exaggerations that goes on inside...uh, caught ya!

[shine down]

Send away for a priceless gift
One not subtle, one not on the list
Send away for a perfect world
One not simply, so absurd
In these times of doing what you're told
You keep these feelings, no one knows
What ever happened to the young man's heart
Swallowed by pain, as he slowly fell apart

And I'm staring down the barrel of a 45,
Swimming through the ashes of another life
No real reason to accept the way things have changed
Staring down the barrel of a 45

PITbull said:
Trons,

I saw the figures the company put out regarding the pension funding for Sept. Its $110 million total for IAM, AFA and including the frozen pensions of CWA and managment that was in 1992.
Cool................and go figure?????

Figures don't lie but liars figure <_< .

Latest posts