RJ Tire Woes.

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
More RJ Tire Woes:
US Airways Planes Pop Tires In Albany, DC
Thu, 18 May '06

What Is It With Regional Jet Tires Lately?

There were two more incidents this week involving blown tires on regional jets during takeoff, this time involving aircraft flying for US Airways and regional operator Republic Airways. One plane aborted its takeoff, while the second made a precautionary landing in Washington, DC.

Click for Story

More RJ Tire Woes:
US Airways Planes Pop Tires In Albany, DC
Thu, 18 May '06

What Is It With Regional Jet Tires Lately?

There were two more incidents this week involving blown tires on regional jets during takeoff, this time involving aircraft flying for US Airways and regional operator Republic Airways. One plane aborted its takeoff, while the second made a precautionary landing in Washington, DC.

Click for Story

Interesting. So with 1 tire blown, I assume the 2nd tire is enough to take the load even with a completely full plane passengers + baggage?

The term "precautionary landing" I think is different from the term "emergency landing" - are PAX told to assume the emergency landing position in such an event?

The term "precautionary landing" I think is different from the term "emergency landing" - are PAX told to assume the emergency landing position in such an event?

No. If the reporter was correct in the use of the term precautionary landing, then nothing special need be done in the cabin other then prepare for a normal landing and trying to answer the passengers questions after the announcement from the flight deck.

Of course, you can bet the cabin crew is mentally reviewing their evacuation scenarios and commands until the plane succesfully turns off the runway.

I hope the FAA and NTSB are looking into this RJ tire situation.

Have'nt heard a word about the Continential Express RJ, that had to land with BOTH main wheel tires gone on the same main gear.

Of course, you can bet the cabin crew is mentally reviewing their evacuation scenarios and commands until the plane succesfully turns off the runway.

On Republic you can bet the cabin crew was listening to thier Ipods, making obscene announcements, playing with the lights and yelling at people to take napkins out of thier seatback pockets. Kidding aside, I'm sure they were reviewing thier procedures- they are very good at deploying slides.

that is interesting considering midatlantic operated 170's for 2+ years and this is the first i have heard of any tire problems causing "precautionary" landings mentioned.

calm down...let's not get ugly here. i was simply asking if anyone heard of similar situations happening at mid. so sorry, i honestly was not trying to stir the pot. but if you want to go there....how many slides have been blown by republic in the months they have been operating? how many by mid in the past 2+ years they operated the same planes???

On Republic you can bet the cabin crew was listening to thier Ipods, making obscene announcements, playing with the lights and yelling at people to take napkins out of thier seatback pockets. Kidding aside, I'm sure they were reviewing thier procedures- they are very good at deploying slides.

Mainline blows an average of 32 per year. I witnessed one a few weeks ago in one of the hub cities. It happens everywhere, get over yourself.

Mainline blows an average of 32 per year. I witnessed one a few weeks ago in one of the hub cities. It happens everywhere, get over yourself.

Mainline also has hundreds of aircraft and thousands of cabin crew. What's the excuse for popping so many on 25 planes in a six month period?

calm down...let's not get ugly here. i was simply asking if anyone heard of similar situations happening at mid. so sorry, i honestly was not trying to stir the pot. but if you want to go there....how many slides have been blown by republic in the months they have been operating? how many by mid in the past 2+ years they operated the same planes???

With the information I have access to, I counted 2 slide deployments by Republic since they started flying the airplanes. In the first year of operation, MidAtlantic had 10.

Mainline also has hundreds of aircraft and thousands of cabin crew. What's the excuse for popping so many on 25 planes in a six month period?

I am unable to provide excuses, nor will I point fingers at other people's mistakes because I was not there. Neither were you. I can only say that slide deployments happen at every company that has slides.

What's really amazing is this subject is about tires blowing, yet somehow you still turned it into your own Republic bashing spree.

Every single individual on this forum knows that life is not fair. Your constant ridicule, and reminders, of the short-comings of other human beings apparently makes you feel better. It's either that or you get nothing out of it so you find yourself doing it over and over in hopes that you will.

To quote something I read this morning, "when you sling mud at someone else, some of it gets on you."

Latest posts