Rumor: Police called to a biz education training

Can I ask, what is the BET.

Business Education Torment

Where the 'reserve' FAs get to enjoy this on their days off without pay and the mechanics get overtime the next day for doing a 'quick turn'.

Hope this helps.

:p UT

Oh man, I had pictured a couple of beautiful lithe, young female FAs in bikinis wrestling in a ring full of chocolate pudding. ... and then I remembered that we were talking UA FAs. My chubby instantly turned into in 'innie.' :D

Thank God there is still P. I. humor in the industry.

Business Education Torment

Where the 'reserve' FAs get to enjoy this on their days off without pay and the mechanics get overtime the next day for doing a 'quick turn'.

Hope this helps.

:p UT
I can't speak to the mechanics' deal, but you are getting bad information about the F/As (or are purposefully misrepresenting it).

Reserve F/As go on reserve days, meaning they go to training instead of being assigned to a trip -- hardly "days off." They still get their scheduled days off for the month. And they still get their monthly reserve guarantee pay. AND they get training pay.

I can't speak to the mechanics' deal, but you are getting bad information about the F/As (or are purposefully misrepresenting it).

Reserve F/As go on reserve days, meaning they go to training instead of being assigned to a trip -- hardly "days off." They still get their scheduled days off for the month. And they still get their monthly reserve guarantee pay. AND they get training pay.

I received this 'tidbit' from FAs, if it is incorrect, then pls accept my apologies, but I do NOT purposely misrepresent anything, just passing along information that I was given by an FA.

It is what it is.

B) UT

Can I ask, what is the BET.

To answer your question, EMB, BET stands for Business Education Training. Frontline personnel such as customer service representatives (called CSR's at UA) and flight attendants are required to attend for 2 days, while mechanics and pilots are required to attend just 1 day of this company-mandated training. For the record, I'm an advocate of continuous training, but BET has been timed quite poorly, as it has come on the heels of UAL filing Tilton's 2006 compensation package with the SEC. Naturally, there is quite a bit of collective rage among UAL rank and file employees, having learned that our CEO earned an estimated $40 million in compensation in 2006. Furthermore, UAL ALPA recently resoundingly rejected their mid-term tentative agreement.

Unlike Senior Management at USAirways, (whether one likes 'em or hates 'em) who actually take the time to interface with the rank and file employees through town hall meetings, at United there has long been a significant disconnect between Senior Management, (who really do dwell in the ivory tower on W. Wacker Street, away from it all) and the front line employees. As such, the BET classes have become a collective venting session and the facilitators (who were silly enough to take on this special assignment) have lost control of the class. Senior Management has had to suddenly intervene and bring in VP's in order to regain control of the course. It is par for the course when the company doesn't provide the proper channels (forums, venues) in which to interface with Senior Management.

In spite of the fact that here at United, we may fly larger airplanes across the globe, complete with First Class suites, in reality, it's all the same: "Same sh*t, different paint job." ;)

To answer your question, EMB, BET stands for Business Education Training. Frontline personnel such as customer service representatives (called CSR's at UA) and flight attendants are required to attend for 2 days, while mechanics and pilots are required to attend just 1 day of this company-mandated training. For the record, I'm an advocate of continuous training, but BET has been timed quite poorly, as it has come on the heels of UAL filing Tilton's 2006 compensation package with the SEC. Naturally, there is quite a bit of collective rage among UAL rank and file employees, having learned that our CEO earned an estimated $40 million in compensation in 2006. Furthermore, UAL ALPA recently resoundingly rejected their mid-term tentative agreement.

Unlike Senior Management at USAirways, (whether one likes 'em or hates 'em) who actually take the time to interface with the rank and file employees through town hall meetings, at United there has long been a significant disconnect between Senior Management, (who really do dwell in the ivory tower on W. Wacker Street, away from it all) and the front line employees. As such, the BET classes have become a collective venting session and the facilitators (who were silly enough to take on this special assignment) have lost control of the class. Senior Management has had to suddenly intervene and bring in VP's in order to regain control of the course. It is par for the course when the company doesn't provide the proper channels (forums, venues) in which to interface with Senior Management.

In spite of the fact that here at United, we may fly larger airplanes across the globe, complete with First Class suites, in reality, it's all the same: "Same sh*t, different paint job." ;)

Jmake1,

Not the timing, it would not matter if this was called ‘Best Maintenance’, ‘ESOPâ€￾, Let's Make It Happen', or whatever... Many of us have been through this RA-RA-Hoopla before.

Focus on 'content'. Did this 'training' :rolleyes: teach you anything you 'did not already know' and will it enhance the way you perform your day-to-day business in the future?

I can not speak for everyone but it was a 'total' waste of my energy and resources.

When most 'finally' :p realized that the 'training' would move along quicker if we acquiesce and became bobble headed dolls, the 'interaction' stopped and we all got the heck out of there 'ON TIME'. (Juggling, RASM, CASM and all... :p )

B) UT

I am sure Jane Allen had something to do with ordering the training. She had a history, at AA, of scheduling useless training, especially during critical times such as contract negotiations.

At AA, the training for flight attendants was called, "Your World," which started during contract negotiations, and then continued until it was abruptly cancelled as a result of 9/11.

I am sure Jane Allen had something to do with ordering the training. She had a history, at AA, of scheduling useless training, especially during critical times such as contract negotiations.

At AA, the training for flight attendants was called, "Your World," which started during contract negotiations, and then continued until it was abruptly cancelled as a result of 9/11.

Why do so many of the AA F/As thing that everything at UAL started only when Jane Allen showed up?

Believe me-we've been living this nightmare of worthless training events for a long time before Janie showed up. And a lot of other things, too.

Well it sounds poorly timed, but I do think training is a good thing. Our F/As act put out that they have to do recurrent once a year and make it thier business to make it unpleasant for everyone else. On the line they just do whatever they feel up to that day, it would be nice to have a re-training of sorts and have a set of policies and procedures to be accountable to, or even more importantly have a product and brand guideline to follow other than "we're cheap and shitty."

The town hall meetings and such are a positive, I do have to give the current US regime major credit for communication. Sadly though, they only serve to prove how out of touch they are with what they have taken on. They come unprepared and put themselves on blast as regional-minded, unsophisticated, and hokey.

Well it sounds poorly timed, but I do think training is a good thing. Our F/As act put out that they have to do recurrent once a year and make it thier business to make it unpleasant for everyone else. On the line they just do whatever they feel up to that day, it would be nice to have a re-training of sorts and have a set of policies and procedures to be accountable to, or even more importantly have a product and brand guideline to follow other than "we're cheap and shitty."

The town hall meetings and such are a positive, I do have to give the current US regime major credit for communication. Sadly though, they only serve to prove how out of touch they are with what they have taken on. They come unprepared and put themselves on blast as regional-minded, unsophisticated, and hokey.

UHH we know all about the Regional HOKEY all to well.. BET would be a good thing if it wasn't so poorly designed. It is absolutely a joke, and no one wants to see a UAL monopoly game that was just made sitting in front of them, why not spend that money on the front line instead of a stupid monopoly game that even a 3rd grader is too smart for.. I mean - i almost thought it was a joke. I really thought if they wouldn't have said "do this and do that" when they aren't "doing this and doing that" for frontline employees then - TOO BAD - no one really gives a flip.. Do more so we can make more - but we can't even throw you a fraction of a piece of the bone, we don't have it to give - to you; anyway..

Latest posts

Back