UAL Jumpseat policy

767jetz,

I should have said: "require CS ON OCCASION to deny boarding" to revenue customers to accomodate OMC's.

767jetz,

I should have said: "require CS ON OCCASION to deny boarding" to revenue customers to accomodate OMC's.

767jetz,

One correction to your post. OMC/CJA weights are not included in the default Operating Empty Weight of UA aircraft(it includes only aircraft-appropriate crew minimums). Jumpseat "deadheaders"(apologies to any Grateful Dead fans) are ADDED to they empty weight as they arrive. On probably 95+% of our flights, this does not present a payload vs. revenue issue. On 737 equipment(-300 in particular), longer segments(or highly-fueled flights into delay-prone SFO), the contractual requirement to carry OMC's, DOES require CS to deny boarding to revenue passengers. Thank God the Guppy has only one jumpseat!

This type of policy is part of the reason why there is such tension between the various employee groups. Why should pilots get to layover at better hotels than flight attendants? (St. Francis vs. Richelieu) why should pilots get a crew meal when flight attendants dont? (we get hungry also) and why should pilots get unlimited omc when flight attendants only get a jumpseat when there is a physical jumpseat available? (flight attendants commute also)

I know that this is the total "compensation" package and that pilots should make more than flight attendants. but if we are to mend fences and "work together" to save the company - we need to see some changes that promote a united workforce. I understand that jeblue refers to all employees as "crewmembers" and that their flight crews ride in the same bus, stay at the same hotels, eat the same crew meals and supposedly clean the airplane together. (i'll believe it when i see it. a pilot cleaning an airplane?) sounds like a good plan that promotes working together.