Rumors are Flying

Well over the last few days I have been hearing many rumors on a new city for THIS year. The 2 cities that are rumored are both in Colorado. So I think you can all guess which two they are. Yep, DIA and COS. This shold be a late 3rd qtr or early 4th opening if the rumor are true.

I would have to bet on COS. I think DIA would be a good move to go after a very wounded UA.

Comments?

Personally, I think using the landing fees at Denver as an excuse not to provide service is a crock, to put it lightly. Even if they are higher than in other locations, other airlines still have to pay these higher rates as well. It might drive up Southwest''s average CASM, but they should also be able to charge a slightly higher fare than normal to make up the difference. Even if the "landing fees and other rentals" at a place like DIA were double (meaning even higher than a 100% hike over other places, as other rentals are included into this line item in the quarterly report), the average difference to Southwest would be about $5.50 each way per passenger based on average trip length and current load factors. That may be a significant % of their profit (or all of it) if they charge to get the same RPM as other locations, but you can easily charge the $5.50 extra without destroying your business. The alternative for those customers would include driving to Colorado Springs, which would cost them far more than $5.50 each way.

At first, I thought this would be about WN''s new contract for their Reservations and Passenger Service employees!

Apparently, it wasn''t as big of a hit with the rank and file as the company thought it would be, and there is talk of sending the whole thing back to the bargaining table.

Evidently the pay issue was not the problem, but work rules that essentially turn the place into a sweatshop, or so I''m told by several union people.

I would bet on COS as when I was in upgrade class 3 years ago Herb told the class that the biggest mistake that he ever made was pulling out of COS & Anchorage when SWA aquired Morris. However the rumor I keep hearing is that the next 2 cities will be Charleston, SC & Ft Meyers, FL.

The SWA website has positions on the hiring page for FT Meyers. That might be a hint of what is to come.

----------------
On 4/16/2003 6:08:32 PM N305AS wrote:

At first, I thought this would be about WN''s new contract for their Reservations and Passenger Service employees!

Apparently, it wasn''t as big of a hit with the rank and file as the company thought it would be, and there is talk of sending the whole thing back to the bargaining table.

Evidently the pay issue was not the problem, but work rules that essentially turn the place into a sweatshop, or so I''m told by several union people.

----------------​
N305AS--Did these "union people" tell you in what way it''s turning into a sweatshop?
I can only speak for res. and believe me it''s NO sweatshop.We have SOME agents that are complaining about not being able to GIVE AWAY more than 1/3 of their shifts,but these are the same people who NEVER worked yet kept all of their benefits.(I''m glad to see that one)I can''t think of any other major changes only NEW goodies,such as 2 paid days off for good attendance--Best of all the new pay rate (yahoo) BTW It passed by over 75%(from national rep I spoke to)

----------------
On 4/17/2003 8:26:32 AM jj wrote:

Didnt SWA serve DEN a few years ago from ABQ?

----------------​

(this question always seems to come up)
Yes, but more than "a few years ago".
WN served DEN, with flights to ABQ and PHX, from 1983 to 1986.

----------------
On 4/16/2003 6:08:32 PM N305AS wrote:

----------------​

Talk about posting off-topic. Perhaps this should be an entirely different thread? I have no idea where this comes from based on the original post.

Was there any truth to an internal job posting for a station manager position in CHS a couple months back?

Actually, at WN since we compete with potential PAX driving instead of flying raising our fares $5.50 each way would cause people to drive instead of fly. We are a short haul carrier & with security hassles our prices have to be as low as possible.

In regards to high airport cost an example of WN reducing services would be IND & ELP where high airport costs were probably a major factor.

For those reason IMHO Denver will never see a WN 737. Unless it is a charter of course!

CFO Gary Kelly reiterated today that WN has no expansion plans given the current state of the economy and the industry. However, things could change depending upon competitors.

One article puts it this way:
"Looking to the future, Kelly said building new airport facilities is the main constraint to growth, more than buying new airplanes or hiring employees, at the low-cost airline. He said the airline has no plans to add service to new cities this year. Despite a conservative growth plan, Southwest will continue to be " opportunistic" about expansion if a competitor were to leave a market, he said."
[url="http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030421/1252000882_1.html"]http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030421/1252000882_1.html[/URL]