Scheduling Question

PHX PHLyer

Advanced
Nov 22, 2006
Is there any way to find out whether certain summer flights will be returning and when they will be put on the schedule?

My son is studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa this semester and the family and I want to go visit at the end of his semester in the summer. The flight that makes the most sense to take is the South African flight from IAD-JNB and the return. But when I went to book it, the only PHX-IAD flight that is in the schedules to book is a flight that leaves PHX at 11:45am or so and would not make it in time for the 5:20pm departure to JNB. I am also not able to get seats on the UA am departure PHX-IAD. But I know (because I have flown it) that in the summer, HP/US adds an 8:45am departure from PHX-IAD. That would put me in IAD 1.5 hours before departure...PERFECT! But it is not in the schedules and doesn't show up at all talking to US reservations. Is there anyway to know whether this flight will be coming back? And if so, when it will be put in the schedules?

This would be my perfect scenario as my son goes to school in Washington and he is taking the JNB-IAD flight home and we would like to be on it with him. But if the flight isn't coming back, then I have to come up with a different scenario. Anyone know someone in scheduling who could help me with this?! I know that during the winter, concentration is on North-South flying and during the summer there is an East-West concentration. So I am crossing my fingers that this will come back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Fly to DCA and take a shuttle over to IAD.

You also have flights from ATL to South Africa on DL which leaves at 4:15PM which is a one stop.

SAA shows numerous cities in the US, like LAX, CLT, JFK and etc, there also have non-stops from ATL and JFK, you probably would better off building a total connection on them.

They are a Star Alliance Member, here is a map of its US Cities.

Map