SFO Proposition J

delldude

Veteran
Oct 29, 2002
Downrange
www.youtube.com
Progressive Business Owner In San Francisco Has Something To Say About The City’s Minimum Wage Hikes

I’m hearing from a lot of customers, ‘I voted for that, and I didn’t realize it would affect you,” Brian Hibbs, owner of the iconic comic book store Comix Experience, said.

By law, Hibbs is now required to pay each employee a minimum of $12.25 an hour, and he’s not sure if his business will be able to hang on, especially when the final hike is implemented. In the end, to cover the final cost, his business would need to rake in an extra $80,000 a year alone.

“I was appalled!” he says. “My jaw dropped. Eighty-thousand a year! I didn’t know that. I thought we were talking a small amount of money, something I could absorb.”

Despite being a progressive, even this man–as a small business owner– understands how minimum wage laws can hurt a business. And this isn’t a freak thing. Small businesses in Seattle are experiencing the same frustrations. Maybe others will see the light too.

http://chicksontheright.com/blog/item/28648-progressive-business-owner-in-san-francisco-has-something-to-say-about-the-city-s-minimum-wage-hikes

Reactions: 2 people