Shake-up At Us Airways Spurs

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Shake-up at US Airways spurs sky-high optimism

Pilot spokesman: Union is "encouraged and excited" to work with new CEO

ARLINGTON (Delaware County Times) - The chief executive officer is out, new low-cost competition is in, and though US Airways seems to be reeling, the airline’s employees are more optimistic than ever. The April 19 resignation of CEO David N. Siegel, coming just weeks before Southwest Airlines moves in on the airline’s important Philadelphia territory, has buoyed hopes of labor unions that US Airways is on the verge on a major shift in philosophy.

See Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

I hope the "shake enthusiasm" is just temporary.

Attachments

• charts.gif
    charts.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 241
His appointment has "removed a barrier of mistrust that existed under the previous administration," Stephan said.

Excuse me, but the previous administration is still the present administration with the same exact plan.

PITbull said:
His appointment has "removed a barrier of mistrust that existed under the previous administration," Stephan said.

Excuse me, but the previous administration is still the present administration with the same exact plan.
Please refrain from using facts that may confuse the issue! :lol: :lol:

PITbull said:
Then Siegel wasn't the problem and all of those calls for his head were missing the point.

Last week the Charlotte Observer wrote the airline's board of directors, meeting Tuesday near Montgomery Ala., approved the plan, said Bill Pollock, a board member and president of the US Airways chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association. The plan -- which includes flying planes more hours, increasing use of key Northeast airports and buying more regional jets -- can only be implemented if costs are brought down, he said.

"It's conditioned on achieving a cost structure that provides for a modest return to cover the cost of doing these things and that makes the company viable for the long term," Pollock said. Specifics will be divulged to unions in negotiations expected to begin next month.

Lakefield oversaw the presentation and was "absolutely behind it," Pollock said. Lakefield was named Monday morning to replace David Siegel, who resigned after two years on the job. A longtime banker, Lakefield will run the airline's daily operations as well as its financial side, Pollock said.

The Beaver County Times recently reported the understanding of Jack Stephan, spokesman for US Airways' Air Line Pilots Association, is that the company is advancing its plan to fly more planes, including more regional jets, for more hours and increase use of the Philadelphia, Boston and New York airports.

"(Doing) nothing is not an option," Stephan said.

"Restructuring an airline to fly differently is an investment that will not come without cost," he said. If the company progresses with plans to become a hybrid, flying point-to-point in the high-volume airports while continuing to feed hub cities, it will need to buy more planes, and it will need to sell a backer on the idea that it has a good plan.

Lakefield, in Stephan's estimation, might be the man to make it happen.

Lakefield is a seasoned 60, a medium-built, fit-looking man. An ex-submariner, Lakefield comes from a group known for extreme intensity and discipline, said Stephan, who also is a former Navy man.

"He is a man that (US Airways board Chairman David) Bronner would trust with his life," Stephan said. "I get a sense of impeccable integrity, (that he's) honorable and successful in the business world."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
"(Doing) nothing is not an option," ALPA Captain Jack Stephan said.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Could you use some of those insider conections and get Captian Jack Stephan to speak with Marketing?

mweiss said:
Then Siegel wasn't the problem and all of those calls for his head were missing the point.
Exactly.

Its his team, IMO. And certain key folks on that team that destroy labor morale. Their culture will not change, cause that is why they were called here in the first place.

With Lakefield, who doesn't know the airline buisness, will not be able to change that unless he gets rid of this team and puts in his own trusted people.

Siegle had loyalites. Very difficult for "the team" to have a new found alligiance to another leader just cause Bronner chose him.

Usally CEOs bring in their own team.

Bronner is on the same mission Siegel was on....its all about labor and labor subsidizing "the plan".

You know my position on Labor. I am just citing the realities above of what IS.

Siegel was a start now lets get rid of the rest of the rotten eggs.........Cohen, Glass & Baldanza. Then just maybe with a lot of luck and some employee participation what is left of USAirways after Dave & Co may just turn around...... :up:

Its good that Dave is gone, now lets get rid of his donughts and if we are serious about being a worldwide carrier, lets listen to some of our employees who are actually European and who will tell you what their friends and families expect when they fly to the US in order for them to fly on us again and tell their friends in the pub how good we are.
Flying to and from Europe is an experience our passengers should remember for at least a year and not the fact that we charged them for beer wine liquor and headsets all the way across the pond.