Shooting at Fort Hood

You're confused. There's no comparison of the services available for active duty and those given to veterans.

What VCS is fighting for and referring to is what the guys already out of the service get from the VA for assistance.

VA service levels are a travesty. Had just half of the funding made available to Obamacare gone to funding the VA, perhaps things wouldn't be as bad as they are.

Again, totally different issue at play. Yesterday's shooter was active duty, and taking advantage of a gun free zone, formed thanks to Bill Clinton's choice for SecDef.

Reactions: 1 person
Believe what you wish, the facts are not in agreement with you. And it still was not Clintons fault no matter how many times you wish to repeat it.

You're correct on the timing. Clinton isn't responsible.

Aspin, however was still incompetent...

And regardless of all that, the fact still remains that there's no good reason that NCO's and officers shouldn't be allowed to carry sidearms.

A place the size of Ft. Hood has fewer armed MP's available than most suburbs do.

Ok. So How Bush started it ostensibly with agreement from his Sec Def but Aspin is still incompetent. No opinion on the Sec Def from Home Bush? No comment on the Sec Def who sent far to few troops to get the job done in Iraq and cause far more death than needed in a conflict that was not needed, poor planed and poorly executed?

You crack me up.

Sure, it's all both Bush's fault. Feel better?

Now how about something actually on the topic, meaning not Iraq, Bush, or post-traumatic stress...?

eolesen said:
Yep. And despite two previous shootings on military installations (Fort Hood, Navy Yard), soldiers still don't have the right to bear arms & defend themselves while on base. More proof that gun free zones don't work out too well for those who follow the rules.

Really?  That's the first thing that came to mind?  The first thing that came to my mind was that the shooter had obvious mental health issues and that the DOD needs to do a better job identifying those who may pose a threat.

The first thing that came to mind was when seconds count, the MP's are only minutes away.

Why someone did this is certainly important, but it's equally important to ask why, on a military base (where just about everyone is properly trained in the when and how's around use of deadly force), nobody was able to drop the gunman after the first two shots were fired.

eolesen said:
The first thing that came to mind was when seconds count, the MP's are only minutes away.

Why someone did this is certainly important, but it's equally important to ask why, on a military base (where just about everyone is properly trained in the when and how's around use of deadly force), nobody was able to drop the gunman after the first two shots were fired.

Severe shortage of MP's due to deployments in the ME. They are there but spread pretty thin. You're on your own pretty much.

Clinton's going to own the issue.

eolesen said:
Sure, it's all both Bush's fault. Feel better?Now how about something actually on the topic, meaning not Iraq, Bush, or post-traumatic stress...?
You are the one who tried to change history. Don't cry to me when you get caught spouting off info that is incorrect. The original act was passed under him, not Clinton. Get your facts straight next time.

The soldier who did the shooting was a soldier who served. Have you done an examination to deter.in it was not a result of PTSD? perhaps the.military should be more careful who they give a gun too and take better care of the vets so they done have these issues. I guess you can just go on your little meaningless rant that it's Clinton or Obama fault when in this case it is clearly not.

Ms Tree said:
You are the one who tried to change history. Don't cry to me when you get caught spouting off info that is incorrect. The original act was passed under him, not Clinton. Get your facts straight next time.

The soldier who did the shooting was a soldier who served. Have you done an examination to deter.in it was not a result of PTSD? perhaps the.military should be more careful who they give a gun too and take better care of the vets so they done have these issues. I guess you can just go on your little meaningless rant that it's Clinton or Obama fault when in this case it is clearly not.

Mr High and Mighty, seems you are guilty of the same charges from time to time as most others who post here. So whats your point?

Most aren't aware they are afflicted with PTSD until and if they are lucky enough to get help.

Like it or not, Clinton owns it.

If one is competent enough to carry a weapon off base, then one should be able to carry on base. The wackos and the islamic extremists like the POS coward Hasan know that it is another gun free zone and the MP's can't cover all areas. That response time is the problem. NCO's, officers, and those living on base that want to carry a sidearm and are qualified should be allowed do so. As with the latest Fort Hood shooter, as soon as he was confronted with like firepower from the MP, the coward shot himself. Hasan could have been dropped by a soldier that was armed and most likely saved many lives, but instead he was rushed by unarmed military heros that died for their efforts to stop him.
This should be common sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7k0-caIQt4

Clinton owns it if you're on one side of the street......however, appears Daddy Bush instigated it and that 1993 Clinton isn't accurate either....it wasn't really reissued in 1993 but coasted under Clinton and GW until 2011.

Ms Tree said:
I was quoting what I thought was a credible source:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/nov/11/end-clinton-era-military-base-gun-ban/

Apparently, they got it wrong. Oh well.

Doesn't change the fact that times have changed. Gun free zones are mass shooting magnets.

It's time to start allowing NCO's and officers to carry their sidearms on base, and allowing POW's to be carried by CWP holders when they're off duty but on base.

No argument there.  Times have changed.  When I heard that soldiers on military bases were not allowed to carry side arms at the very least it struck me as odd.  We do live in different times and I agree that the policy should change.  I'm surprised the DoD has not gotten behind that.

We still have a long way to go with how we deal with mental health, specifically PTSD and related trauma that affects the military.  

Latest posts