Shooting at Fort Hood

Ms Tree said:
No argument there.  Times have changed.  When I heard that soldiers on military bases were not allowed to carry side arms at the very least it struck me as odd.  We do live in different times and I agree that the policy should change.  I'm surprised the DoD has not gotten behind that.

We still have a long way to go with how we deal with mental health, specifically PTSD and related trauma that affects the military.  

From what I've read, returning soldiers get a session or so to check for symptoms, but I think sometimes after they return, later on , symptoms can surface.

Reactions: 1 person
And that's where the VA fails them. The entire healthcare system got changed in order to accommodate 2% of the population, but we still can't manage to fund the VA to the point where they can provide wellness checks on returning vets without a six month waiting period.

Reactions: 1 person
The health care system was changes because it is hopelessly FUBAR'ed.  Unfortunately the change was a watered down compromise.  They should have gone single payer but that is a different thread.

The VA did not just all of a sudden in Jan 2009.  The VA and the DoD have been neglecting our soldiers and vets for decades.  The military would rather spend tens of billions on the Littoral Combat ship that does not work instead of taking care of their own. OH well.

eolesen said:
Bill Clinton is largely to blame for the gun free zones, and the deaths yesterday are simply more blood on the hands of Les Aspin (the most incompetent Secretary of Defense in modern history). Aspin drove DADT, this change, and also refused a request by Gen. Powell to send more armor into Somolia, thus creating the situation that allowed "Blackhawk Down" to take place (killing 18 soldiers, wounding 75 more).

http://www.apd.army.mil/jw2/xmldemo/r190_14/head.asp

Survivors of Sandy Hook and Aurora got more than their day in the spotlight, while survivors of Fort Hood and Navy Yard got marginalized as victims of workplace violence.

At least there's some hope for rolling that back. Legislation had already been moving in the House after the Navy Yard shooting, and now that will have new momentum (just to run into a brick wall called Harry Reid).

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/03/fort-hood-shooting-repeat-renews-calls-for-ending-gun-restrictions-on-base/

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/sarahjeanseman/2014/04/03/texas-rep-stockman-urges-house-to-repeal-gun-ban-on-military-bases-n1818427

That's odd.  I was in during Reagan and Bush and the three bases I was stationed at the only people allowed to have guns was base security.

Reactions: 2 people
I already called him out on that and after posting the specific directive passed during H Bush's term he finally acknowledged that the info he posted was incorrect and that Clinton was not at fault but a republican President and a republican Deputy DoD.

Reactions: 2 people
Ms Tree said:
I already called him out on that and after posting the specific directive passed during H Bush's term he finally acknowledged that the info he posted was incorrect and that Clinton was not at fault but a republican President and a republican Deputy DoD.

Thank God you are helping out. You are the best.

Consider what he may have saw or experienced.

A friend ran a small business doing financial type things....had a couple employees..

He went in one weekend to catch up and found the other guy in his office had slit his throat and my friend had the misfortune of seeing the end result.

Been four years at least and he's struggling to hold a job and deal with PTSD.

Agreed -- PTSD doesn't have to be from combat. It's just a little less black & white than some want to make it out to be.

The post commander is now saying this was a fight between two men which got out of hand, not a random act or act of revenge.

eolesen said:
Agreed -- PTSD doesn't have to be from combat. It's just a little less black & white than some want to make it out to be.

The post commander is now saying this was a fight between two men which got out of hand, not a random act or act of revenge.

Ah,.......I'm seeing/reading a Lot about ..I R A Q...here, on this thread Eric.
Tell me  Plz......why we were in...I R A Q,.........Again !
I seem to have forgotten !

I know we'll never get the following info, but I'd love to see the D o D numbers of the PTSD cases from the guys who were in Afganistan(and who KNEW WHY they were there) as opposed to the Poor Bas-tards who were in Iraq, who STILL don't know WHY they were there !

Latest posts