Should us airways attempt another hostile acquisition of Delta ?

Delta is an airline?

I thought it was where everything upstream went to fester until it smelled so bad everyone with a sense of smell ran from.

If Delta is an airline, would US Airways improve the smell?

If we were to join forces with Delta, we would own the complete east coast and the southern half of the USA from the Carolinas to California. I see nothing wrong with a matchup like that. I don't think that WN, AA, or UA would be able to touch us.

It's hard to agree with anyone saying that the airline industry is in trouble. I tried nonrevving out of ICT this past weekend, bumped for two days. The agents at some airlines said people were walking up to the counter and buying tickets. No seats until MON.
I finally got out on MON and flew into ATL. The place was packed.
Yeah, fuel is expensive but people will continue to fly, pay whatever surcharge you hit them with, sit down and have a half a can of soda and damn well like it. The media makes everything worse than it actually is.
I think Delta is ripe for the taking and we should go get them. I'm tired of bad publicity.
[/quote

The problem is not filling up seats with butt's, the problem is earning enough money to stay in business. Almost anyone will travel cross country for 99.00. But raise the leisure fare from 99.00 to the actual cost of flying, will enough people travel? A couple of years ago lender's were doling out money left and right and people were getting a second mortage, new house or whatever and lender's were willing to give extra. Guess what, people ran up more debt and their nest egg, aka house, is not worth as much as they owe? Do you really think that people are going to travel with so much uncertainty?

At first I thought that the original poster was wacked for suggesting lcc attempt to take on dl again, now I think that doug's ego should try it again, watch him make a bigger mess and let the rest of the industry benefit.

Is that CafePress account still around?

newlogo4.jpg

:eek: I don't think that Doug Parker will take Delta now. They only wanted them while they were in bankruptcy :lol: Now they will wait until they hit bankruptcy again so they can take advantage of the bankruptcy cutbacks, lease breaks, yada yada yada :up:

I don't know but it seems to me that with the financial markets in disarray that maybe this wouldn't be a good time for anyone to be buying anybody.

But, evenso, I still think a merger with Northwest would be a better match. A match with Delta would destroy the CLT hub.

Wow, you actually think anyone would entertain the idea of a hookup with that mess you try to call an airline?! Amazing to think someone can be so looped on meds and still work in this industry. How is your last hookup going? How many years now and counting? Quite a track record you have. The only thing you have going for you is the lowest pay and benefits in the industry, congratulations. And you had the foresight to stay away from any type of international expansion, again good planning. Good luck with that.

What little credibility you had has been completely pissed away with your failed attempt at merging with AWA, your failed attempt at DAL and your drunken ceo. You have become a sad footnote on industry incompetence. Are you gaining or losing corporate accounts these days? Where do you rank on satisfaction surveys? How's morale? Why don't you get back to us when you finish your merger with AWA, OK? Yup, a true industry powerhouse! At least you have eachother!!!

:eek: I don't think that Doug Parker will take Delta now. They only wanted them while they were in bankruptcy :lol: Now they will wait until they hit bankruptcy again so they can take advantage of the bankruptcy cutbacks, lease breaks, yada yada yada :up:

Just who do you think is going back into bankruptcy first? US or DL. My money is on US.

The latest First Call consensus earnings estimate is for DL to lose $96.5 million this quarter. The consensus estimate for US is a $150.6 million loss. For the year, DL is currently expected to make a profit of $96.5 million while for US it's a loss of $197.5 million.

Jim

What little credibility you had has been completely pissed away with your failed attempt at merging with AWA, your failed attempt at DAL and your drunken ceo. You have become a sad footnote on industry incompetence. Are you gaining or losing corporate accounts these days? Where do you rank on satisfaction surveys? How's morale? Why don't you get back to us when you finish your merger with AWA, OK? Yup, a true industry powerhouse! At least you have eachother!!!

Hey Guinness, am I correct to assume that you work for Delta? Here are the facts, our merger with AWA is complete, single cert. issued by FAA in Fall 07. As for the failed attempt at DAL, how smart does Grinstein look now? US offered over 10billion for DAL, what is their market cap now? And, as for the drunken CEO, are you really gonna sit on your high horse and tell us that Grinstein never downed a few and drove himself home? No, Sir, you are not, the only difference being is that Grinstien never got caught. And by the way, with an online handle such as Guinness767, you have a lot of nerve to call another man a drunk. And yes we do have each other, US and AWA, and like any other dysfunctional family, we will somehow get by. And lastly, 2 straight years of profits totalling over a billion dollars kinda does make US a financial powerhouse.

The latest First Call consensus earnings estimate is for DL to lose $96.5 million this quarter. The consensus estimate for US is a $150.6 million loss. For the year, DL is currently expected to make a profit of $96.5 million while for US it's a loss of $197.5 million.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I really don't like sounding negative here. But the reality is clear. Most other airlines are much better positioned to weather the high fuel and tanking economy. Our $$$ in the bank won't last as long as AA/CO/DL because of our international compaired to their international route networks. And, most importantly, Tempe still hasn't merged the two carriers yet. This will prove to be Parker's biggest mistake, keeping labor seperated too long.

Delta airlines , ripe for the plucking ?

Incompetent management , bad business fundamentals, no unions ? Sounds like delta to me , and I’m betting right now that the investors over at delta are wishing they had accepted the offer made by us airways way back when .

!
I think this applies to our management more than Delta's

And, most importantly, Tempe still hasn't merged the two carriers yet. This will prove to be Parker's biggest mistake, keeping labor separated too long.
I agree with what you have said, however the pilot groups seem to be keeping themselves apart,for better or worse.

As we all know this is probably the single most important union group and the one with the most leverage with the company.

It may be a hollow victory if we end up in BK again.

Just out of curiosity, isn't BK much more difficult now than it was when many airlines took advantage of it?