Should us airways attempt another hostile acquisition of Delta ?

I tell you, sometimes, scratch that, most time it seems like the issues should be resolved in a steel cage match. Does everyone really dislike each other that much? :unsure:

Hey Guinness, am I correct to assume that you work for Delta? Here are the facts, our merger with AWA is complete, single cert. issued by FAA in Fall 07. As for the failed attempt at DAL, how smart does Grinstein look now? US offered over 10billion for DAL, what is their market cap now? And, as for the drunken CEO, are you really gonna sit on your high horse and tell us that Grinstein never downed a few and drove himself home? No, Sir, you are not, the only difference being is that Grinstien never got caught. And by the way, with an online handle such as Guinness767, you have a lot of nerve to call another man a drunk. And yes we do have each other, US and AWA, and like any other dysfunctional family, we will somehow get by. And lastly, 2 straight years of profits totalling over a billion dollars kinda does make US a financial powerhouse.
LOL, very well put. Espacially the username corralation. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Wow, you actually think anyone would entertain the idea of a hookup with that mess you try to call an airline?! Amazing to think someone can be so looped on meds and still work in this industry. How is your last hookup going? How many years now and counting? Quite a track record you have. The only thing you have going for you is the lowest pay and benefits in the industry, congratulations. And you had the foresight to stay away from any type of international expansion, again good planning. Good luck with that.

What little credibility you had has been completely pissed away with your failed attempt at merging with AWA, your failed attempt at DAL and your drunken ceo. You have become a sad footnote on industry incompetence. Are you gaining or losing corporate accounts these days? Where do you rank on satisfaction surveys? How's morale? Why don't you get back to us when you finish your merger with AWA, OK? Yup, a true industry powerhouse! At least you have eachother!!! "

Brutal but accurate.

The latest First Call consensus earnings estimate is for DL to lose $96.5 million this quarter. The consensus estimate for US is a $150.6 million loss. For the year, DL is currently expected to make a profit of $96.5 million while for US it's a loss of $197.5 million.

Jim

Jim,
I'd just note that most of those estimates are stale and don't recognize $100-$110 oil. The only analysts I'm aware of who have recently incorporated them are Jamie Baker at JP Morgan ($280 million DL loss; $1 billion US loss) and Mike Linenberg at Merrill Lynch ($419 million DL loss; $100 million US loss). Quite divergent estimates, I will say.

Jim,
I'd just note that most of those estimates are stale and don't recognize $100-$110 oil. The only analysts I'm aware of who have recently incorporated them are Jamie Baker at JP Morgan ($280 million DL loss; $1 billion US loss) and Mike Linenberg at Merrill Lynch ($419 million DL loss; $100 million US loss). Quite divergent estimates, I will say.

I read Gary Chase's report for Lehman Brothers today, and he too has downgraded all the airlines. He predicts a $6.10 per share ($560 million) loss for US, and a $1.35 per share ($395 million) loss for DL, though he doesn't state his exact fuel price assumptions. He also lowered his target price to $11 for US and $14 for DL.

So the only thing similar about these revisions to these reports is that none of them can agree on anything.

Of the three - Chase, Linenberg, and Baker - only Linenberg has a pretty good track record. The other two are 3rd tier. Baker is definitely the current outlier for LCC estimates, while Chase is not far behind.

First Call estimates may be "stale" - "only" 7 of the 11 estimates have been revised this month alone - but by averaging out the extremes it's usually pretty close at any point in time that is verifiable, which is the last update before the end of a quarter/year.

I would agree, however, that many "analysts" are lemmings who just follow the herd.

Jim