Siegel's statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeguy67

Advanced
Aug 31, 2002
www.usaviation.com
[STRONG][FONT color=#003399]Siegel was quoted by mechanics in LGA when he was passing thru, vote it down and no utility, about 2,000 mechanics and a few stock clerks, just about only a line operation. Dont believe me call mtc in LGA [/FONT][/STRONG]

Cavalier I believe Dave too. Like or dislike what he does he DOES do it. It is a very bitter pill to swallow but this industry is not going to be the same for a long time if ever. UAL is doing almost a mirror image of what U has been thru, and Dave is a young man with bigger inspirations in the future than this airline being his last stop. He will not blink first and if he does have to get the IAM/CWA contracts thrown out it will be ugly for all involved. If that does happen we aint seen noting yet.

I absolutely believe it, but the hard liners won’t until they find themselves unemployed and then they will still blame their unemployment on Dave believing they had NO choice.

I believe the comment by Frank Reeves of the Post-Gazette today of this being a torturous labor relation issues is correct, but it's torturous because principally the IAM leadership is afraid to stand behind the deal.

Why? The union is worried about AMFA organizing as the CBA agent.

I believe this is not the arena for the mechanics to fix this issue, if so desired. The only way to fix this problem is to vote yes so there will be a company for AMFA or the IAM to represent.

If a member votes no on September 17, the member may never have to worry about fixing the internal union problems. The problem could be that a number of members believe that regardless of whether the deal is ratified, the airline will still be around. I believe that is a misconception that could lead to the failure and liquidation of the airline.

However, if the deal is rejected and US convinces the court to abrogate the CBA, the airline still may not survive.

Who wins then? Delta Air Lines.

US will not recieve one dime of the credit facility or loan guarantee even with just talk of a strike. In this case, the company may as well close its doors and stop sending out paychecks in 1 or 2 paycheck disbursement cycles from now.

Chip

Chip:

The entire airline industry and undoubtedly many in Washington are privately crossing their fingers and hoping that we don't get past this hurdle and just fold up our tents and go away. Imagine what a boon this would be to everyone else.

I may sound foolish but it seems to me we have already voted once on the companys restructuring proposal. I think the results were something like 57% No and 43% yes. To bad the people who are running this election were not running the presidental election. With a re vote of Florida who knows what may have happened!
I keep forgetting we are re voting because we a lucky enough to have a labor friendly CEO. Real nice threatning letter was sent to our homes. Time will tell, but I still believe it will be voted down. Any mechanic with less that 15yrs or utility with less than 10 will be voting themselves right out of a job.But thats just my opinion. Although a good example is the ramp, they voted it in and look at the packets handed out the next day. Oh...I forgot one thing, we may have the oppertunity to interview for a position at MDA.

Chip;
Can you guarantee that USAIR will survive if the mechanics vote YES and how can you say for sure that the company will not if they vote NO? The fact is its out of the mechanics hands either way. With a YES vote you are saying that you trust management so much that you are willing to take from your family and give to Dave and TPG in the hopes that you dont have to start over somewhere else. You are saying that pay is not important and I come here as a hobby. If you can pay me fine, if not that OK too. If you vote NO you are saying, I'm a professional and I get paid for what I do. I'm worth every penny because for every penny you pay me I help you make thousands more.Cant pay me, then shut down, someone will buy these airplanes and fly these routes and when they do they will need someone to fix them. Which position warrants more respect?
If they vote yes, productivity will decline and more than likely the carrier will survive just long enough to lower wages throughout the industry, like Pan AM. By maintaining the wage through hard times they are more likely to get productivity improvements like SWA.

Chipmun;
From what I've seen of the IAMs handling at USAIR the mechanics should go to the AMFA.

Mr. Owens your only interest is self severing, just as you accused Dave. You want the U mechanics to sacrifice themselves so you can continue forward, knowing full well that U will be a very competitive and strong carrier which in turn would make it hard for your own carrier to survive without cuts also. This scares the crap out of you, therefore you want all the U employees to eviscerate themselves for your well being. Don’t insult my intelligence spouting all your malicious rancor which is falling on deaf ears. Face it, things are a changing, and YOU will get it next Mr. O.

Retired 1;
Assuming that you are a mechanic, Dave will make more before he's 43 at USAIR than you will/did your entire career. Do you think he really cares about USAIR? What does he have invested in it? The more you give back, the more he gets.

US10;
Who is asking? I never met anyone with a number as a name?

UAL 777 flyer;
Out of a job permenently?
A little dramatic dont you think? Despite the current setback the industry is still expected to double by 2010. That means there will continue to be jobs. The names may change but the work is the same, who cares what color they are? If they vote this in they will be stuck with these concessions while the industry possibly doubles in size. Just as mechanics missed the expansion of the 90s we would once again be tied to long term concessionary contracts.

Bob; You have alot of advice for the US employees, who did you say you worked for?

Status
Not open for further replies.