Snow day in CLT

At one time CLT might not have had issues with deicing, I don't remember this happening a lot during my early days, but it seems like the past few years it's an issue. If CLT wants to be a major hub and has had snow/deicing issues the past two or three years, they need to come up with a better plan. Maybe it's time for a regular deicing pad/area to better flow with the traffic getting out and off? Also, I've seen the FAA OIS website say that ground stops are airline specific due to ramp constraints. Maybe US needs to have a better plan in place to put this in effect when this happens next time if CLT can't come up with a better deicing plan?

Why they City took over the deicing in my opinion was plain dumb....maybe 700 might know why US gave up deicng, but for the City to take it was a bone headed move..

It went from a mtc function to the ramp, it wasnt guaranteed work so I guess they went with the city and a vendor. I did hear the airport wanted to take over it anyhow.

Could be worst. Florida's deicing consists of pushing the planes in the sun. That happened somewhere a year or two ago.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- U.S. Department of Transportation officials tell NBC Charlotte an investigation has been launched after reports of extensive tarmac delays at Charlotte Douglas International Airport Saturday evening.
(So the Feds are launching an investigation to determine that...)
Heavy snow fell in the Charlotte area starting around 4pm and continued through the night.

Passengers and airport crews complain to NBC Charlotte that too many planes were allowed to land in the bad weather.
(What were the options? In my area, Airport Operations conducts runway tests to determine that it is clear and without slippery spots before ac are allowed to land. Everyone-airlines, operations, maintanence, etc.-that needs to know has access to up to the second weather. Once it said that snow will arrive at the airpoprt at 11:15 pm, and I was lucky I was getting off at 11:30).

These new tarmac rules are rather one sided. When you have massive traffic at once, much like automobiles, it creates a gridlock. I remember going to work in the early 90s and there were over 100 ac parked at the airport. Seems that the great NYC area was hit with a dense fog and planes were deverted to practically every city in the NE! People didn't seem very upset other than blaming the weather and nature.

And how much snow does Charlotte actually get? How cold does it get? I'm surprised you actually need deicing to that extreme. I'm not knocking it by any means. I'm knocking people from my area that Moved 2 CLT to get away from the snow and ice in my snowbelt area. A friend of mine was coming back from a trip and had a layover in DAtlanta. It was snowing, so he asked a skycap how often it snows there. The skycaps reply was once, and this is it!

In the end, someone will blame this cold snowy winter on globull warming. Wait for it...

Reactions: 1 person
We were 4.5 hours late to GIG. The airplane came from the hangar and it took 3 hours to taxi the mile from the hangar ramp to the gate. Absolute disaster.

What really sucks is that this is winter break week!

I once came to a stop at the 1.5 mile mileage marker on I-80 at the Delaware Water Gap. I was coming from NYC and going from NJ to Penn. It took me over 5 hours. Rest areas? Good thing I'm a guy.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/20/3867607/memo-communications-breakdown.html#storylink=cpy

This isn't the first time that the operation in CLT fell apart due to deicing conditions. One would think that in a major hub such as this, that someone at the top would have come up with a better plan for winter ops. Not sure who, but someone's head needs to roll due to this fiasco.