Tempers Fly As Stewardess Exits By Chute

Fly

Veteran
Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Tempers fly as stewardess exits by chute

May 10 2004

By The Journal

An emotional air hostess stormed off her plane at the last minute by sliding down the emergency chute, it has been revealed.

Hundreds of passengers were stranded at Newcastle Airport for four hours - and offered only £3 each for the inconvenience.

The captain left the cockpit to explain to passengers on the MyTravel flight from Newcastle to Menorca that the stewardess had broken the seal to the escape chute, grounding the plane.

He said it would prove too difficult to get a replacement part to fix the chute used by the hostess, so he was ordering another plane, from Cardiff.

The amazing scene meant almost 200 passengers - many of them young families with babies - were taken off the plane and had to sit in the airport lounge for another four hours until the replacement plane arrived on Friday morning.

Mother-of-three Margaret Ramsay, from County Durham, said: "We thought we were just about to take off when a cabin girl walked down the aisle and got her bag from the locker. We thought it was strange. Then we saw her walking across the Tarmac. The captain told us she was very upset."

A spokesperson for Newcastle Airport confirmed the replacement aircraft had taken off at 10.26am.

For their inconvenience the holidaymakers, from all over the North of England, were given a £3 voucher each.

One passenger fumed: "It wasn't even enough for a sandwich and a drink." The second plane took passengers to Mahon without incident and the captain again apologised for their "bad luck".

A spokesperson for My Travel Airways said: "Following a technical issue with an emergency chute, passengers were unavoidably delayed, which we apologise for.

"A replacement aircraft was immediately found from Cardiff.

"The health and safety of our passengers is paramount and we cannot operate an aircraft without the necessary equipment."
-----------------------

I think I know why she jumped! If I can be so BOLD. Welcome to the 50's :huh: