Sobering study

Aug 20, 2002
Antarctica Cannot Replace Ice Loss
Study finds continent is shrinking faster than it can grow. Experts say changes to the global water cycle could hasten the pace of sea-level rise.
By Robert Lee Hotz, Times Staff Writer
March 3, 2006

The ice sheets of Antarctica — the world's largest reservoir of fresh water — are shrinking faster than new snow can fall, scientists reported Thursday in the first comprehensive satellite survey of the entire continent.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/wo...headlines-world

Just check the undisputable fact: Every single ice age ended with global warming, even those occurring millions of years before the creation/evolution (pick one) of mankind.

The earth is a dynamic place. Live with it, adapt to it, or perish.

My 2¢ worth.

The ice sheets of Antarctica — the world's largest reservoir of fresh water — are shrinking faster than new snow can fall,

I've often wondered what would effect of Antarctica melting would be. In a static model, yes the sea would rise. But what would the seas rising do to the climate? Could the rising seas bring about more moisture in the air and possibly create more clouds which would block more sunlite? Could the warming of the sub-arctic areas create more vegetation which could also affect the climate?

Whatever happens I figure the Earth can figure it out and adapt itself and remain in some kind of balance. I don't think mankind is is as big as he thinks he is and the Earth is going to do whatever it does despite us......... :)

Just check the undisputable fact: Every single ice age ended with global warming, even those occurring millions of years before the creation/evolution (pick one) of mankind.

The earth is a dynamic place. Live with it, adapt to it, or perish.

My 2¢ worth.
I agree this is nothing New, we reside on a Living, breathing planet that has been evolving since its birth and will continue to change long after Man has gone the way of the Dinosaur.

Just an add-on to this topic.

NASA Survey Confirms Climate Warming Impact on Polar Ice Sheets

March 8, 2006, In the most comprehensive survey ever undertaken of the massive ice sheets covering both Greenland and Antarctica, NASA scientists confirm climate warming is changing how much water remains locked in Earth’s largest storehouses of ice and snow.

"If the trends we’re seeing continue and climate warming continues as predicted, the polar ice sheets could change dramatically," said survey lead author Jay Zwally of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. "The Greenland ice sheet could be facing an irreversible decline by the end of the century."

Other recent studies have shown increasing losses of ice in parts of these sheets. This new survey is the first to inventory the losses of ice and the addition of new snow on both continents in a consistent and comprehensive way throughout an entire decade.

WebWire

Back