Something to think about.............

Robc98

Advanced
Aug 20, 2002
The 13.01 hr jobs are for the express jobs in the hubs and larger cities listed in the T/A...along with any future cities that get moved to express...There is the Midatlantic portion of this puzzle that has yet to be determined as far as pay bennies etc...I am sure the payscale for MDA will be higher than the express pay...the company does not want all the cities to be express cities...The RJ MDA airline will come to be and that is what probably the small cities will convert to...but we will be negotiating that contract in the very near future...the reality is the MDA is coming and the furloughed pilots will be flying them and there will be MDA cities....

Isn''t it odd we are trying to save the airline with government loan money...if the loans approved....in turn it could cost most of us in res or at the ATO our jobs and/or quality of life if $13.01 hr comes to light...we the employees over a 6 yr period are to pay back the loan that is costing our fellow employees their jobs. It''s our tax money the government is using to fund the whole thing....can we contact our senators to see if we have any options....this just doesn''t seeem fare...

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 9/14/2002 9:43:48 PM Res wrote:
[P]....this just doesn't seeem fare... [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]
[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR] [/BLOCKQUOTE][img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif'] I love it..... fare [img src='http://www.usaviation.com/idealbb/images/smilies/1.gif'] This industry really DOES get into your blood!!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 9/14/2002 10:08:08 PM Robc98 wrote:

The 13.01 hr jobs are for the express jobs in the hubs and larger cities listed in the T/A...along with any future cities that get moved to express...There is the Midatlantic portion of this puzzle that has yet to be determined as far as pay bennies etc...I am sure the payscale for MDA will be higher than the express pay...the company does not want all the cities to be express cities...The RJ MDA airline will come to be and that is what probably the small cities will convert to...but we will be negotiating that contract in the very near future...the reality is the MDA is coming and the furloughed pilots will be flying them and there will be MDA cities....
----------------
[/blockquote]

Robc98,

First, thank you for keeping us posted on things CWA - you have been level headed and factual.

Can you direct me to anything in writing that states U will not express/MDA/seasonal flight any city it chooses? The way I see it, only practicalities protect any city from the new 'expression.' Obviously, mainline will be maintained at the hubs and focus cities, but they can be pruned at will to express. West coast can't be RJ'd, but they just took a big scheduling hit. Everything else, including some fair sized cities like ATL and RIC, are fair game. Please tell me I'm missing something!

A320driver is absolutely correct. The loan guarantee program is exactly that. A guarantee that if the carrier fails to pony up the cash to pay back the loan, the government (i.e. you and me) will be covering the cost.

US Airways has applied for and received conditional approval for a $900 million federal loan guarantee to back up a $1 billion private sector loan (or set of loans). We only pay up as tax payers if the company can't pay or fails somehow.

Of course, at nearly $900 million/year in concessions for the next several years, I'd say employees will already be paying for the loan and then some. If the airline fails to pay it back, we'll just get a second opportunity to pay it back in our capacity as taxpayers. A pretty nifty racket, I'd say.

-Airlineorphan

P.S. Much of the problem US Airways and other carriers face appears to be a result of building up so much debt burden that profitability has been wiped out. I understand that Chapter 11 is going to set aside and reorganize a lot of U's existing debt. Nonetheless, does it strike anyone a little troubling that U will be in new debt once it emerges from Chapter 11 (understanding the need for liquidity)?

Did the government really intend for the loan to be paid out of employees pockets...with no give backs, at least for our work group..other than stock - when the company turns a profit.

To Diogenes....thank u for our comments...unfortunately I dont have an answer as to what the company can do..only what I think they will do....I think that with the current Wholly-owned carriers out there..(Allegheny/Piedmont etc.)...who are operating the Dash's etc..and the company's limitations on RJ flying that they can do, Midatlantic is going to be the ultimate express company for Usairways....the jobs being offered the furloughed pilots to fly for Midatlantic and the amt of RJ's the company wants to acquire is putting the futures of the Wholly-owns in jeopardy...they may not be around in the near future should Midatlantic take off like they want....with all of the prop planes wanting to be replaced with small jets what does that leave the Allegheny and Piedmonts with...I also feel that the current level of customer service at the express level is lower than what the company should want....so to make all the cities with the exception of a few express and not Midatlantic with a better payscale would eventually hurt this airline more than help it.....I for one with 20yrs cust svc would have a whole new attitude as to the way I do my job should they try and punish us with making everyone 13.01 hr without any consideration............just my opinion.......