Sorry You Need To Take A Paycut

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
US Airways Fills Two Vacant Officer Positions
Wednesday September 29, 1:32 pm ET

ARLINGTON, Va., Sept. 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways today named two long-time employees, Stephen L. Morrell and Helen M. Tremont, to fill the vacant positions of vice president of Financial Planning and Analysis and vice president of Corporate Real Estate, respectively.

Morrell was most recently managing director of Treasury and assistant treasurer, a position he assumed in August 2003. He joined US Airways in 1994 as an analyst, Maintenance Operations. Since that time he has served in a number of positions in Treasury. He became the director of Treasury Operations in March of 2001 and was promoted to assistant treasurer in 2002.

Morrell attended the University of Rochester on an ROTC scholarship and received a bachelor's degree in economics in 1985. He holds a master's degree in business administration with a concentration in finance from the Fuqua School of Business at Duke University. He served in the United States Navy from 1985-1992.

Tremont returns to Corporate Real Estate following her most recent positions as director of Government Affairs and director of Corporate Affairs. She joined US Airways in 1986 as a regional manager of Properties Services at the company's headquarters in Arlington. Since that time she also served as a regional director of Public Affairs, and as a regional director of Airport Affairs.

She holds a bachelor's degree in English and a JD from the University of Pittsburgh. Prior to joining US Airways, she was in private law practice and worked as the assistant county solicitor for Allegheny County and the chief contract administrator for the Allegheny County Department of Aviation. She is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Both Morrell and Tremont report to David M. Davis, executive vice president of finance and chief financial officer.

Source: US Airways

I too saw that announcement. This company ...what can one say that hasn't already been said.

Is it possible we could have left those positions open or combined with other VP's duties in order to save this cash starved company? This still shows the company is run my those who can not comprenhend streamling and efficient operations. But maybe this company could not survive another day without another couple of VP's.

I wonder, do the new guys have a breakroom, tv,vcr,card table. I hope not. We have enought of that allready!

OK this is a reach, but isn't it possible that since they were already directors they just got the VP titles without pay adjustment? I mean they are already taking a 20% cut...

I don't know but let's be openminded. I agree they need more VP's like they need a hole in the head--perhaps it didn't cost much.

That said, where do we go from here???? Who knows, but I am pulling for U........

My best to you all.....

Art at ISP said:
OK this is a reach, but isn't it possible that since they were already directors they just got the VP titles without pay adjustment? I mean they are already taking a 20% cut...
[post="186071"][/post]​

Art... It is possible that these could have been lateral moves, but it's all about perception right? Personally, I think this is one of the last things that should have been announced by U. Everyones salary and benefits are being scrutinized. Will we find out the truth, probably not, but in my opinion this announcement was in poor taste. :down:

Did anyone stop to think these positions may actually add value to the firm? Ya know, not every VP sits around and drinks scotch all day. Some of them are working quite hard to save the Company and thus your job.

I liked the term "long time" employee's that was used on the hub. One has 94 senority and the other 86!!! I don't believe there are many employee's working with 94 senority within the company anymore. I'm sure the company will pull out of the tailspin now that these two have been promoted.

USFlyer said:
Did anyone stop to think these positions may actually add value to the firm? Ya know, not every VP sits around and drinks scotch all day. Some of them are working quite hard to save the Company and thus your job.
[post="186096"][/post]​

No, because they're crazy.

USFlyer said:
[post="186096"][/post]​

USFlyer... Add value to the firm? How so? I dunno how long these two positions have been vacant, but it's highly doubtful the U will be better off having filled them.

The way I see it, it will only add value to the resume's of the two individuals placed in the VP position. ;)

This one makes my head explode. You're complaining about filling the position: Vice-President of Corporate Real Estate? And with a in house employee! Unbelievable!

Hey, the victimhood store card called, and said you left your gold card at the register!

Might a company with vast holdings across the country with very little on sight management with a infinite number of agreements and terms need a vp to manage that?! AND they're assets in BANKRUPTCY! Yeah, THAT's really a vacation for the staff of that department. Can you imagine the reports and analysis and knowledge that's going to be needed!? The number of personal relationships and local politics that are involved.... again across the country. AND the last vp of corp real estate lasted about 15 months. So, I guess it's an easy position to keep filled... with all the paycuts etc.

I can't remember the other position, but I remember it wasn't something like Vice-President of Employee Dillusions.

So, when this woman has been reporting to work for the last several months... basically doing Herndon's job AND to find out the company is in bankruptcy so her workload and responsibilities just wen through the roof and your going to welcome her with this attitude?

USFlyer said:
[post="186096"][/post]​
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, they have just about one for every day of the month. So, they only sit around and drink scotch on the other 30 days that they don't have to work :) .

Even if this is just title change only with no "official" compensation, I'm sure the amount of perks have been upped considerably. Remember the Wolfie/Gangwal kitchen at Crystal City? I'm sure there are plenty of goodies and a nice "going away" present if US Airways passes on.

Maybe hire a few CSRs instead of VPs for a change.

JonC

RowUnderDCA said:
This one makes my head explode. You're complaining about filling the position: Vice-President of Corporate Real Estate? And with a in house employee! Unbelievable!

So, when this woman has been reporting to work for the last several months... basically doing Herndon's job AND to find out the company is in bankruptcy so her workload and responsibilities just wen through the roof and your going to welcome her with this attitude?
[post="186210"][/post]​

Row -
Well said. While I frequently agree with the union positions stated on this board (check many of my previous posts), those who are complaining about this are just plain nuts. These are positions that need to be filled and mgmt made the correct decision to fill them from within, which can be done with a smoother transition and at much, much lower cost than pulling someone in from the outside (especially when a company is in Ch. 11). Yet, instead of recognizing the correct move and acknowledging a good decision, there are so many here who just see it as one more reason to whine and complain. It would do a lot of people here some good to take a step back - consider the issue - and not just assume that every decision that management makes is bad (or good).

Let's see....

The people filling these positions are already with the company.

They presumably are capable of performing the duties required by these positions since they got the promotions.

Presumably adding "V.P." in front of their name doesn't bestow some special knowledge that was lacking before.

So it seems that the needs of the position were filled adequately already - by the same person but without the title - and presumably the pay raise.

Now 'splain again how these titles just had to have names added behind them.

Or is this a game of promote and give raise, then take part of the raise away in the spirit of "shared sacrifice"?

Jim