Southwest Airlines dispatchers win raises, bonus plans under new contract

terms?

Has any newly signed WN contract nvolve more than 2% per increase increases in pay?

or that the employees realized that the company wasn't going to give any more

and the number of dispatchers at an airline is relatively small compared to other workgroups.

What they got might well have a bearing on what WN is willing to offer to other large workgroups that remain without new contracts.

I suspect that the big 4 airline mgmts. have recognized that there is no need to offer massive pay raises to any workgroup because the airlines are too large to strike and because airline employees are still paid above average compared to other employees with comparable skills in the general workforce.

WorldTraveler said:
terms?Has any newly signed WN contract nvolve more than 2% per increase increases in pay?
I haven't checked recent contract raises.

But this is the history of base wage increases for mechanics since 1996:

96: 2%
97. 2
98. 2
99. 2
00. 3
01. 10.25
02. 9
03. 3.3
04. 3.3
05. 3
06. 3
07. 3
08. 0
09. 3
10. 3
11. 3
12. 1%

The raises for years 2001 and 2002 were due to AMFA at NWA.
They raised the bar on rates, and we followed.
Before that and after, base rates have followed 2-3%.

So what is your point?
If we get 2-3% a year, that just raises the bar for all passenger airline mechanics.

the most notable trend is the last several years where the numbers have driven to zero or just slightly above.

and AMFA might have driven raises but they are history.

and WN has clearly given no indication that it is willing to give anywhere close to those kinds of raises again.

in fact, DL's non-contract employees are handedly winning larger increases in compensation than any comparable WN group.

of course 3% would be great but that is just not happening at WN.

WNMECH said:
I haven't checked recent contract raises.

But this is the history of base wage increases for mechanics since 1996:

96: 2%
97. 2
98. 2
99. 2
00. 3
01. 10.25
02. 9
03. 3.3
04. 3.3
05. 3
06. 3
07. 3
08. 0
09. 3
10. 3
11. 3
12. 1%

The raises for years 2001 and 2002 were due to AMFA at NWA.
They raised the bar on rates, and we followed.
Before that and after, base rates have followed 2-3%.

So what is your point?
If we get 2-3% a year, that just raises the bar for all passenger airline mechanics.
And it looks as if we will continue the average % of raises as we go forward.  SWA has already offered a steady yearly solid raises of 2% for each and every year except for the past years for retro. Plus signing bonuses, and other increases, BUT, also had alot of asks for contract language that the company already knows will not pass.  This is just another stall tactic to drag out nego's past 2015 so that SWA can make do of it's promises for record ROIC for all the investors.  

I doubt if any WN labor group would sign if they thought they could get more next year.

They are signing for 2% or less increases because it is apparent is all WN will offer.

WN's strategy is to drag out contract settlement while other airlines give out pay raises in order to reduce the increased amount that WN people have been receiving even while WN's efficiency relative to the rest of the industry is reduced.

the most notable trend is the last several years where the numbers have driven to zero or just slightly above.

and AMFA might have driven raises but they are history.

and WN has clearly given no indication that it is willing to give anywhere close to those kinds of raises again.

in fact, DL's non-contract employees are handedly winning larger increases in compensation than any comparable WN group.

of course 3% would be great but that is just not happening at WN.
The most notable trend here is you still don't know what you are talking about.

First, AMFA is alive and well at WN.
Second, raises aren't history at WN, they offered them to us at the last negotiating session.
Third, you don't know what those numbers I posted mean.

We were paid a 3% bonus payment in lieu of retro for 2008.
In 2009 we agreed on a contract to extend until aug 2012.
We agreed on a total of 10% base wage increases but instead of 2.5% a year, we front loaded it for 3% in 09, 10 and 11 then 1% in 2012. This actually was to our benefit.

It was already mentioned that the company is ready to give us that again with additional bonus schemes on top right now.
They just want us to give back work rules that we aren't going to.
We will take the money when they realize we wont be giving them all they want is contract language changes.

This isn't about money, it is about language, and we are the ones saying no.

Nothing new here, move along.

and yet you haven 't received pay raises in how long?

your contract is amenable and WN is requiring that you provide work rule concessions in order to gain further pay.

and other carriers, namely, DL is giving larger total compensation increases including their own profit sharing than WN employees are gaining.

btw, I will leave your comment on the pension plans stand on the other thread but you are spot on and I couldn't agree more with you.

With all the major work groups in contract negotiations at the same time,
it is advantageous for us to go along with the company's slow walk method at this time and let some of these groups settle first.

We are losing nothing by this process, still make more than the workers you list and will receive raises and commensurate money for the time up to a new contract signing.

We are not at a stand still yet and haven't asked for federal help yet.
We are still moving forward and making progress at the table as both sides continue talks.

Like I said,
Nothing new here, move along.

you THINK you will get retro to make up for what you haven't gotten all along.

when the ink is dry on new contracts all around at WN, let us know and we can compare terms.

the airline industry has consolidated to the point that the big 4 do not need to give huge pay raises such as WN did for years..

Not retro. I don't see that happening.

The company has already offered a signing bonus in lieu of retro.
I expect we will accept that as long as the price is right although most agree that retro is preferred to keep pushing up base rates. Everything is tied to base rates and the longer we go without an increase in them, the more the company saves.
It is all negotiable and we are still at the table.

I already posted our history of raises.
You call them huge?

Just because we haven't gone backwards on pay rates, like the other airlines, doesn't mean our steady (just above cost of living) raises, have been huge.

Looks like AMFA just passed another package to the company back on 6-3.  Some numbers have changed with the economics.  Next meeting dates set for 25th and 26th of June.  Wow! Looky there, we got 3 days in one month.  I think it should be 3 days per week.  WNMECH, you are right about the slow pace the company is wanting to take with 3 certain groups.  Not sure if there is any updates on the web sites or not...

Back