Southwest gets ready for end of Write Amendment

No one will know what the effect on allowing WN to fly long-haul domestic from Love Field will be until it is too late to do anything about it but, despite all of the talk about the size of AA’s operation at DFW and how geography does not favour Love Field, the simple fact is that WN is by far the dominant airline from the Metroplex (DAL plus DFW) in the short-haul markets that WN is allowed to serve.

The fact that WN also has half of the market share even in those markets that were added such as MCI and STL says that they are more than capable of establishing themselves as a serious competitive option. History does indeed show that fares dropped dramatically when WN added service to those cities, only to return to higher levels after WN had gained its half of the overall Metroplex market.

The sheer size of Love Field will limit the size of operation that WN can build but WN has more than enough space to add enough flights to capture half of the current level of demand in the top 20 domestic markets from DFW. Any carrier that can serve the top 20 markets from an airport is a credible alternative and having such an alternative, which hasn’t existed since DL had a hub at DFW alongside AA, will affect AA’s finances.

If AA isn’t concerned about what WN can do, then they won’t try to fight back using flights from DAL. The fact that they did it when Legend was there, says they viewed it as a threat then and will again. How much money AA spent to fight off Legend doesn’t matter today. What does matter is that AA’s future profitability very much hinges on its ability to successfully retain its dominance in the Metroplex. The sheer size of the operation that WN can mount compared to what AA can do at Love Field means that AA will do nothing more than spit in the wind to try to stop WN.

Long term, it is almost guaranteed that WN will fight to remove the remaining restrictions on Wright. I believe their plan at this point is to use every available amount of capacity that DAL has, leaving nothing else for anyone else that doesn’t already have gates. Then they will show the citizens of Dallas how much they have reduced prices – and they will reduce prices and have built their business plan around keeping prices low enough to argue the point – while at the same time arguing that they could do the same thing if they had more room to grow. Problem is that US courts have upheld the ability of airports to limit their size based on community feedback to the exclusion of other carriers, and there are a number of examples of where that is being done – including LAX, SNA, and LGB as well as all of the FAA slot controlled airports on the east coast. There is no requirement for those airports to provide access to newcomers or expand their size to accommodate competitors. Thus, WN wants first to maximize its size at DAL. Then, they will fight to remove all remaining restrictions so that they can operate what economically makes the most sense within the size that DAL is allowed to be and that might include nonstops to MEX instead of MCI. WN will also argue that it can grow more in the Metroplex if it could add service at DFW w/o giving up gates at DAL – and they will likely win. Whether they ultimately use DFW is another question but Dallas IS WN’s home and they have been very successful not only there but elsewhere at gaining what they want politically.

How all of that affects AA is less significant than that WN will be able to build its presence in N. Texas as it has never been able to do. How far they go before they stop is anyone’s guess – and it will be driven by the market.

Reactions: 2 people
No one will know what the effect on allowing WN to fly long-haul domestic from Love Field will be until it is too late to do anything about it but, despite all of the talk about the size of AA’s operation at DFW and how geography does not favour Love Field, the simple fact is that WN is by far the dominant airline from the Metroplex (DAL plus DFW) in the short-haul markets that WN is allowed to serve.

Why would the effect of allowing WN to fly long-haul domestic from DAL not be similar to that observed in Houston (HOU vs IAH)? Or that of MDW vs ORD? You've proceeded to describe an apocalyptic scenario the end of Wright Amendment brings to AA, while starting your post stating that "No one will know what the effect ....." will be. That is utter nonsense. WN is not a new carrier. AA and other legacy airlines know exactly what WN is and the effect(s) they have in the markets they serve. Moreover, there is more than data from HOU (and to a smaller degree MDW) that can be used to draw reasonable conclusion sregarding the effect (or side-effects in AA's case :D :D :D ) that the end of the Wright Amendment will have.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't have all the data with me now but WN does have its share of traffic in Houston and Chicago...I believe about 40 per cent in Houston and 25 pc in Chicago. Geography in these cities is far different than in the metroplex. Those who think WN will have no effect on N. texas are in for a huge surprise.

The fact that WN also has half of the market share even in those markets that were added such as MCI and STL says that they are more than capable of establishing themselves as a serious competitive option. History does indeed show that fares dropped dramatically when WN added service to those cities, only to return to higher levels after WN had gained its half of the overall Metroplex market.

The sheer size of Love Field will limit the size of operation that WN can build but WN has more than enough space to add enough flights to capture half of the current level of demand in the top 20 domestic markets from DFW. Any carrier that can serve the top 20 markets from an airport is a credible alternative and having such an alternative, which hasn’t existed since DL had a hub at DFW alongside AA, will affect AA’s finances.

Just like DL in New York, you seem to be hung up on market share as the only yardstick to measure a carrier's success in a market.

If AA isn’t concerned about what WN can do, then they won’t try to fight back using flights from DAL. The fact that they did it when Legend was there, says they viewed it as a threat then and will again.

It's not a threat, it's an opportunity. AA is (and always should be) looking for new and better opportunities to serve it's best customers, especially in Dallas. This is a great way to do it. :)

No I am not hung up on market share. But unless a carrier gets disproportionately lower revenue in a city than its peers, then market share correlates directly to revenue which is what the owners of airlines want to see.
As FWAAA has noted, WN's average fares at DAL are respectable even considering that they don't serve many long-haul destinations. I have noted before that WN's average fares from DAL to MCI and STL are almost identical to AA's from DFW to the same destinations. The notion that WN doesn't attract the same quality of revenue as the network carriers is simply not reality.

The reason for discussing market share is because it reflects that WN does in fact gets its share of revenue and passengers in cities where it competes with another legacy carrier from a hub carrier. FWAAA repeatedly says that you can look at HOU/IAH or MDW/ORD yet in those cities and others, WN does carry its share of passengers. He points out a few markets like LAX where AA and UA have very high frequencies as evidence that WN doesn't carry its shares but if you look at the cities as a whole, WN very much carries its share of passengers. And again, DAL is much closer to DFW and the primary traffic sources in those cities than are HOU vs IAH or MDW vs ORD.

I say no one knows for certain what exactly will happen but I absolutely am convinced that WN will push DAL to its absolute max, they will lower prices on at least a short term basis to help pull traffic from DFW to DAL, and they will maintain their share of traffic from the combined airports, even if it isn't precisely the same percentage to every airport.

They will focus on local traffic, they will use the largest aircraft they can, and they will tune their operation to maximize the use of the limited facilities they have.

And when they have demonstrated what they can do to prices in N. Texas which are disproportionately higher than from other hubs, they will push to expand their service... they might not overcome the community objections around DAL to a larger airport but that doesn't mean they won't be able to add int'l flights or also add flights from DFW>

It also doesn't change that other carriers will expand at DFW based on the necessity that AA will have to match WN pricing, which will make it easier for other carriers to grow in AA's backyard.

We can certainly revisit the topic in a couple years but I am convinced that the optimism WN and its employees have about the potential that exists for them at DAL is not misplaced.

Yes, AA will respond as it should but AA has benefitted for years from protected markets, including in N. Texas. The change in Wright restrictions will open competitive challenges that are far larger than AA has seen in any one city.

Based on the financials that have been released over the past week, WN is free to do whatever it wants at DAL with little likely resistance.

It might pick up a lot of other opportunities to grow its network in cities, esp. those dominated by UA who now has the highest costs in the industry with no reduction expected in the future.

I see now that Delta is putting flights for sale from DAL to start in Oct 2014, and they don't even have the gates, and this is admitted by Delta.  They are still trying to force the hand of the DOJ to allow them to be awarded gates at DAL by selling all these tickets out of DAL.  How screwed up this could get when Delta may have to refund do to cancelations if they never get those gates.  Looks like Delta is getting very desperate at this point, they are trying everything to try and force the DOJ to forgive their original statements that the divested gates will go to LCC's.  LOL, you just gotta love this stuff...

DL is flying from DAL and will continue to do so. No one else wants to try to compete with WN out of an airport where they already have 80% of the gates - but won't get one more.

Your fear of having to compete against DL is duly noted.

There are people on the Hill that recognize that WN is not the end all and be all they advertise - and they don't represent Texas.

BTW, I see another round of WN cities from ATL are on the cutting room.... SDF, ORF... I can't keep up with the list that keeps growing. No wonder DL's margins at ATL are growing as fast as they are. 13% fewer seats by next summer isn't going to sway the local ATL market that WN is serious.

BTW, I'm sure DL is grateful for the extra pressure on AS with WN's additional PDX and SEA flights.

It's not a threat, it's an opportunity. AA is (and always should be) looking for new and better opportunities to serve it's best customers, especially in Dallas. This is a great way to do it. :)
Flying out of DAL has been wildly unsuccessful for AA twice that I know of in my short career. First there were the "luxury" F100s with seating configurations small enough that they could fly beyond the WA perimeter. Then there was the late, lamented nonstops on the DAL-STL route. (I lamented their passing because doing that turn was the easiest 5 hours of flight pay you could ever hope to earn. Usually, you had 20 passengers total (or less) in one direction and 15-20 (or less) going back. I worked that turn once when we had a total of 10 passengers for both legs! The only time I ever saw a full S80 on that route was one time when the Cowboys or the Rangers (I forget which) was playing in St. Louis and playoff hopes were on the line.

WorldTraveler said:
There are people on the Hill that recognize that WN is not the end all and be all they advertise - and they don't represent Texas.

BTW, I see another round of WN cities from ATL are on the cutting room.... SDF, ORF... I can't keep up with the list that keeps growing. No wonder DL's margins at ATL are growing as fast as they are. 13% fewer seats by next summer isn't going to sway the local ATL market that WN is serious.
Nobody ever claimed that WN would keep every cat & dog's breakfast route that FL flew, nor should they.

The bigger question should be what WN will do once the FL brand is retired, which may happen within the next six months.

Nobody ever claimed that WN would keep every cat & dog's breakfast route that FL flew, nor should they.

The bigger question should be what WN will do once the FL brand is retired, which may happen within the next six months.
That is correct E. I doubt it will be in the next 6 months, I think they are planning by years end of 2014, but, you never know.
I did hear we are picking up 150 used A/C next year on top of orders from Boeing. We have already inked the deal to get the 10 from West Jet. Just a few more signs of what is coming in 2014-2015.

Your fear of having to compete against DL is duly noted.
There you go again putting words into other peoples mouths once again. Never have I ever said I was scared of comp from Delta, matter fact I would encourage it. All I said was it would be stupid for Delta to advertise and sell tickets on something that they quite possibly may not have.

you don't have to say it.... "you" is Southwest Airlines, Inc.

You continue to believe that WN will get those gates... THAT is not happening.

WorldTraveler said:
you don't have to say it.... "you" is Southwest Airlines, Inc.

You continue to believe that WN will get those gates... THAT is not happening.
Once again, YOU, try to put words in my mouth.  Never have I said SW will get those gates.  Keep working your twisted conversations...

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts