Southwest Interest in LGA and DCAl Slots if Delta and US Complete Swap

WN clearly felt they could not make money given $4-5M slot costs per flight..... that is a VERY steep price to pay.
I have my concerns that B6 paid too much for their access... but I didn't write the check and honestly B6 might consider what they bought as a necessary "loss leader" expense in order to grow its presence in key markets.
I don't think it will be the last time slots will be traded or sold at DCA or LGA - but this transaction probably will result in a major revaluation of the balance sheets of airlines that do fly to the slot controlled airports.
WN might get more opportunities - but it does say that for now, WN will sit on the sidelines and will watch one of its former potential codeshare partners grow in partnership with another US carrier and yet another US carrier will gain its own opportunities to grow in key business markets.
And WN will likely be announcing in the near future a reallocation of its DCA/LGA slots, moving many from ATL to other gateways with a much cloudier outlook for WN's potential to take on the ATL market.

Wow, WT.. you again amaze me,, you seem to have a ton of knowledge on the airline industry which I respect,, but your flip flopping is tantamount to a politician,,, you throw the flag at SWA for thier screw up for not securing the LGA slots ,, then say B6 paid to much... you want to point out every single flaw at SWA while you sing the DL rocky song(eye of the tiger),,, you preach the DL rise from the ashes story while forgetting the DL years of bullying and pushing others around story,,

I dont know which of YOU to root for,, the WT that can be insightful and I want to see win,, Or the flip flopper WT DL singer who I root to get beat up on the school yard... you sure you werent a gecko in a previous life,, you seem to change colors quickly

Reactions: 2 people
Wow, WT.. you again amaze me,, you seem to have a ton of knowledge on the airline industry which I respect,, but your flip flopping is tantamount to a politician,,, you throw the flag at SWA for thier screw up for not securing the LGA slots ,, then say B6 paid to much... you want to point out every single flaw at SWA while you sing the DL rocky song(eye of the tiger),,, you preach the DL rise from the ashes story while forgetting the DL years of bullying and pushing others around story,,

I dont know which of YOU to root for,, the WT that can be insightful and I want to see win,, Or the flip flopper WT DL singer who I root to get beat up on the school yard... you sure you werent a gecko in a previous life,, you seem to change colors quickly
maybe it's because you don't see that the answer is BOTH of what I said.... I don't chide for WN for knowing how much was too much... but their inability to gain more slots does have significant strategic implications both regarding their ability to penetrate the NE and their ability to maintain ATL as a hub since that is where the majority of WN's current slots are used.
I am sure WN will figure out how to make it all work... but they are faced with the same strategic challenges they had before they bought FL- limited access to the key NE business airports and limited name appeal in the NE - the game has just been ratcheted up a few more notches but WN is still largely an outsider in the most valuable NE markets.
There is no disconnect in understanding that WN made the right choice from their perspective but still faces enormous strategic challenges.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts