Southwest suspends 737 MAX flights until August!

The Max *will* fly again, far sooner than it would be for WN to start looking at other fleet types...

OK, I need the EXPERTS responding here.

Question. IF the MAX Never fly's again, what does WN due ?
Yes eventually they'll be compensated, BUT where do they get 737 A/C ? What happens to possible Canadian flying ? I would imagine that with Hawaii flying, that WN has already been stealing an aircraft here and there, ultimately reducing service at different points on the network.

The Max *will* fly again, far sooner than it would be for WN to start looking at other fleet types...
E is correct the Max will fly again. When? No one has any clues at this point.
We (as in SWA employees and customers) are very hopeful that they get back in the air before this summer (2020).

NHBB, as far as your question goes, I really can't answer that. Since everyone has been waiting for a couple months, to end of summer 19, to maybe by end of year, and now we hear of Mar or maybe even April 2020 or maybe not until summer and poss not even this year. Since Boeing has been stringing us all along to keep the airlines from going elsewhere for a/c it is too hard to say what SWA will do. We have all heard the rumor mills on SWA looking at purchasing another airline or two for some quick a/c, routes and gates but that still may not be quick enough either.
I would be willing to bet if something is not done or at least set in better stone by this spring SWA will in fact be looking elsewhere for a/c. Meaning, other manufacturers, airline purchases, or heck maybe they will fire up a huge new lease program and back charge it all to Boeing. At this point anything is possible to get done what really needs to get done.
As far as Canada flying? Maybe WestJet will be one of the purchases although SWA has already looked at them once before and decided to not go forward with them any further. Other than that we need more a/c and we need them now. Our expansion growth is lagging behind greatly with the Max groundings...

Thanx SWA for that update. Far be it for me to pass myself off as aeronautical engineer, but facts are facts. Boeing has never had a problem with the 737-100/200/300/400/500/600/700/800/800NG, BUT, Boeing goes and builds the Max with the Biggest Engines Ever for a 73, AND moves said engines FORWARD for the First time, for a *73. Does BALANCE ever enter into any ones mind ! (A parallel if you will). Go to Staples and purchase a package of 100 rubber bands of EVERY assorted thickness. With you thumbs, STRETCH the thin ones. Will it eventually break/snap ? OF COURSE ! STRETCH the thickest ones. Will they break/snap eventually ? OF COURSE !! Conclusion !! The MAX is aerodynamically Unfit, possibly OVER stretched, and BOEING Knew it from 'jump street' !!

Conclusion !! The MAX is aerodynamically Unfit, possibly OVER stretched, and BOEING Knew it from 'jump street' !!

Three of the most respected airlines in the world were flying the MAX without ANY issues whatsoever.

I suspect if it were really aerodynamically unfit you would have heard something from AA, WN, or UA during the acceptance process, no?

I'll agree to hold my breath until it's back if you agree to hold your breath once it starts flying again...

And where do you propose they go? Where will they get airplanes with less than 12-18 months lead time? WN isn't the only airline impacted and much smaller airlines have already hit up the leasing market for replacement lift.

And where do you propose they go? Where will they get airplanes with less than 12-18 months lead time? WN isn't the only airline impacted and much smaller airlines have already hit up the leasing market for replacement lift.
Purchase an airline.

Even if SWA or AA finds a whole bunch of ready to fly MAXes hidden in a shed in the backyard, I still haven't heard anyone address the PR issue of getting passenger to fly on a MAX. In the middle of summer travel crowds at the airport, do you really want some berserk passenger screaming "I don't want to die" when he/she finds out the airline is trying to put them on a MAX.

If they (Boeing and the FAA) just hadn't tried to hide some of the bad data, it might be doable, but people don't trust either organization anymore.

Before anyone jumps on the "I told you so" comments, he also said, basically, the same thing right before we bought AT. That he never will comment on rumors of M&A.
And take note of a couple of quotes and one that he repeats within this article. "He doesn't think the grounding is reason ENOUGH to pursue M&A activity." As I don't either, and is a true statement, however, with that said, there are other reasons tied to entertaining M&A activity now. Let alone the obvious big one of attaining a different model a/c quickly, huge expansion on the East coast, huge expansion overseas and long hauls, expansion of Prem cabins (if we would even keep those), and of course an increase in some domestic flights as well, and another LCC competitor is merged into a larger and better ran LCC. Just the size increase alone would greatly generate big revenue for SWA just like AT did but at a much larger scale IMO. So, although he did say that the groundings are not reason enough to look into it, does not mean they are not entertaining it, it's just a phrase to keep the media out of their hair and a premature release earlier than they would want. SWA is very good at keeping stuff under the wraps until they all of a sudden announce it themselves, remember the AT announcement blindsided all of us right after he stated "we have no comments on rumors and speculations on M&A activities...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/7bdfbef1-0fcb-3566-903b-235691f0da38/southwest-airlines-ceo-pushes.html

Another push back on the Max's return.
The title of this thread was for August of 2019 and now includes Aug of 2020.
9 months for 2019 and now 8 months for 2020. Now that we are absent closer to 100 Max's out of our system I would expect the 2020 compensation from Boeing will be a lot larger than the 2019 compensation payment. BUT, it will still screw us on our overall PS payment just like it did in 2019. Maybe we should file a class action lawsuit against Boeing for our PS losses in 2019 and 2020. SWA should have pulled the trigger on the airline purchase like I said in the beginning, even IF the Max gets back this year it would still help out greatly with obtaining the different model aircraft. Are we the first to push off until Aug.? When will it end with the Max?? Now a wiring bundle issue too close together, that should be a simple fix at production levels IMO.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/southwest-extends-737-max-flights-121104923.html

With 100 aircraft not generating revenue it is easy to blame Boeing for a smaller PS pool. Very obvious that we were lower without the Max's flying by hundred millions.