SOUTHWEST TO BUY AIR TRAN

Well lets see what they say when they buy AA. Airtran is small and has only been around since 1997, the impact of integration will be minimal and I dont think that SWA bought Airtran to disassemble it like when AA bought Air Cal, Reno and TWA. All that was left of those purchases was the employees and recall lists.

Whats the seniority date of the most Junior AA flight attendant? What the most senior? The most Senior mechanic at AA is 1942! (not his birth date, his seniority date!). Thats said I think even he would not mind being stapled to a WN seniority list at this point.

I wish them all the best as well but it isnt that the people are worse at other carriers its that WN treats its people better so they in turn treat the company and its customers better.
Air Trans senority actually goes back to 1994 when they were Value jet. The most senoir date is 1 of 94' I just wanted to throw that out there as I have seen other post out here saying 97.
The impact of integration could be larger than you think. SWA did ALOT of hiring late 90's and into 2001. Not to mention the Teamsters hate AMFA at SWA, they will do anything to disrupt the proccess as much as possible. After the integration is all done they will lose another 300 plus union due payers back over to AMFA once again.
I would also like to throw out a welcome to all the AMT's and all the employees at Air Tran. Yes some of you guys may come in with more senority than me, but I really don't care. We ALL should be looking at the much larger picture down the road. And this will not be the last airline that SWA buys. Thing will only get better in the long run. Congrats to all, and I hope none of you guys are forced to relocate. As for you DFW boys; I am sure the company will be moving you guys over to Love Field. Good luck to all...

Reactions: 1 person
From http://www.heraldonline.com/2010/09/28/2485201/southwest-to-land-in-charlotte.html

“Orr said the airport could probably find additional space for new Southwest flights.

One option: The airport is adding gates at the end of Concourse E, which is primarily used by US Airways Express. Those gates will be able to service Boeing 737 jets, which is the plane Southwest currently uses.”

I think you will see WN add more ATL, one to each of their big Florida cities (FLL, MCO, TPA), MDW, more BWI, BOS area, BNA, STL, LAS. That's a lot but if you figure they can do 7 flights per gate based on GSP/CHS schedules it may not require much in CLT. More importantly, I echo Jim's comment that any pain would be bad for US.

Didn't think about this much...but couldn't this open the door at DFW as well as ATL? Just a thought.
I won't say never, but the only way SWA can goto DFW is to give up 1 for 1 gates. In other words, if we were to open a gate @ DFW we would have to give up a gate here @ LUV field. It's all part of the Wright Amendment agreement. Once the W/A goes away in Oct 2014, SWA will treat Dallas as a new city and watch it grow to over 220 flights per day. Also ALT will also grow very quickly to the largest city that SWA servs. SWA has big plans for growth. You all will shortly see that we will buy the 800's, and we will be going to Hawaii...

I won't say never, but the only way SWA can goto DFW is to give up 1 for 1 gates. In other words, if we were to open a gate @ DFW we would have to give up a gate here @ LUV field. It's all part of the Wright Amendment agreement. Once the W/A goes away in Oct 2014, SWA will treat Dallas as a new city and watch it grow to over 220 flights per day.

Here's a link to the 5-party agreement

See Item 10:

If Southwest Airlines or its affiliate or code share partner (except for published code share service from DFW Airport to Midway Airport as of June 14, 2006) chooses to operate passenger service at any other airport within an 80-mile radius of Love Field in addition to its operations at Love Field, then for every such gate which Southwest Airlines, its affiliate or code share partner operates or uses at another airport within this radius. Southwest Airlines will voluntarily relinquish control of an equivalent number of gates at Love Field, up to 8 gates and such gates shall be made available to other carriers. If the other carriers are not interested in these gates, then they can be made available to Southwest Airlines for its use on a common use basis This requirement to relinquish gates shall expire in 2025.

So in 2025, Southwest could choose to operate from other airports within an 80-mile radius of Love Field (including DFW) without having to give up any of their existing gates at Love Field. Until then, they're limited to the 16 gates they have at Love Field and I'm not sure if they could manage 220 departures out of 16 gates.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's a link to the 5-party agreement

See Item 10:

So in 2025, Southwest could choose to operate from other airports within an 80-mile radius of Love Field (including DFW) without having to give up any of their existing gates at Love Field. Until then, they're limited to the 16 gates they have at Love Field and I'm not sure if they could manage 220 departures out of 16 gates.
You are correct. 220 out of 16 gates would be tough. However I believe we only operate out of 15 gates currently. We do have a 15x but that is for spare a/c. The airport is undergoing construction now. It will be comepleted by 2014 sometime b/4 w/a goes away. The amount of gates SWA operates will increase into the twenty something-not sure the exact amount. The company has told us that the new gate construction will allow SWA to operate up to 250 flights per day, so that puts it somewhere between 22 and 25 gates, SWA computes 10-11 flights per day per gate for computations. I think we are at 115-119 Flights per day now. All these numbers are from memory from what SWA has told us in the past, if I am wrong, sorry and please chime in. We have also been told we will go from 15-20 over-nighters to 40+ over-nighters once the w/a is gone.

The amount of gates SWA operates will increase into the twenty something-not sure the exact amount. The company has told us that the new gate construction will allow SWA to operate up to 250 flights per day, so that puts it somewhere between 22 and 25 gates,

That number of gates can't be right. See Item 3 in the link I posted above. Under the terms of the 5-party agreement, the airport cannot grow beyond 20 gates and 4 of those will be leased by other carriers - 2 for AA and 2 for CO. No hardstand operations will be permitted and each gate can only have one jetway.

Here is the website for the Love Field Modernization Program

http://www.lovefieldmodernizationprogram.com/

If you go to the above site and click on aerial view you can count the number of gates. I guess if Southwest can figure out how to do 14 turns per gate, they could have around 225 daily departures. And I wouldn't put it past WN to actually figure out a way to squeeze 14 departures out of each gate.

I'm down in AUS and I remember when WN had the dual jetway at Gate 9. One day I went to the airport website and looked at the flight arrival/departure screens and I counted 13 turns out of Gate 9, and there wasn't an originator or a terminator out of that gate. (First flight of the day at that gate was an arrival & last flight of the day was a departure) If there had also been an originating flight and a terminating flight, that would have pushed the total up to 14 departures for that one gate.

If they can achieve that same ratio at DAL, then that's a maximum of 224 daily departures, but under the current agreement WN will definitely have no more than 16 gates, unless AA/CO give up some of theirs and no other airline wants them and I don't really see that happening.

That number of gates can't be right. See Item 3 in the link I posted above. Under the terms of the 5-party agreement, the airport cannot grow beyond 20 gates and 4 of those will be leased by other carriers - 2 for AA and 2 for CO. No hardstand operations will be permitted and each gate can only have one jetway.

Here is the website for the Love Field Modernization Program

http://www.lovefieldmodernizationprogram.com/

If you go to the above site and click on aerial view you can count the number of gates. I guess if Southwest can figure out how to do 14 turns per gate, they could have around 225 daily departures. And I wouldn't put it past WN to actually figure out a way to squeeze 14 departures out of each gate.

I'm down in AUS and I remember when WN had the dual jetway at Gate 9. One day I went to the airport website and looked at the flight arrival/departure screens and I counted 13 turns out of Gate 9, and there wasn't an originator or a terminator out of that gate. (First flight of the day at that gate was an arrival & last flight of the day was a departure) If there had also been an originating flight and a terminating flight, that would have pushed the total up to 14 departures for that one gate.

If they can achieve that same ratio at DAL, then that's a maximum of 224 daily departures, but under the current agreement WN will definitely have no more than 16 gates, unless AA/CO give up some of theirs and no other airline wants them and I don't really see that happening.
Like I said I was doing it by memory, and going by what we were told by our upper management in maint. told us along time ago. Sorry for any confusion.

I won't say never, but the only way SWA can goto DFW is to give up 1 for 1 gates. In other words, if we were to open a gate @ DFW we would have to give up a gate here @ LUV field. It's all part of the Wright Amendment agreement. Once the W/A goes away in Oct 2014, SWA will treat Dallas as a new city and watch it grow to over 220 flights per day. Also ALT will also grow very quickly to the largest city that SWA servs. SWA has big plans for growth. You all will shortly see that we will buy the 800's, and we will be going to Hawaii...

There you have it folks we have announced the purchase and exchanges for the 737-800's Hawaii will be next... CAN'T WAIT!!!!

I found this posted on a website:

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2010/10/whats-the-difference-between-airline-merger-and-buy-out/

Reactions: 2 people