Southwest To Enter Fort Myers

WNrforlife said:
Just as we have taken over the California market, we will soon take over the entire eastern seaboard.

This is just the beginning!!!! :p :p :p
[post="279126"][/post]​

JetBlue, Spirit, Indy Air, and AirTran might have something to say about that.

If it's any indication of what Fort Meyers thinks, however, just remember the name they gave to the airport: Southwest Florida Regional Airport.
:up:

Southwest Airlines Unveils Destinations and Fares From Southwest Florida International Airport

FT. MYERS, Fla., July 14, 2005 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX/ -- Southwest Airlines (LUV) today unveiled its low fares and flight schedule to and from Ft. Myers. Customers can now purchase tickets for the new service with airfares beginning as low as $29 one-way.

Southwest Airlines will begin its Ft. Myers service October 2, 2005, with a total of nine daily nonstop departures to the following cities: Baltimore/Washington (two daily), Chicago Midway (two daily), Long Island/Islip (one daily), Orlando (three daily), and Philadelphia (one daily). The airline will offer direct or connecting service to 29 other destinations, such as Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and Seattle. (For artwork depicting Southwest's destinations from Ft. Myers, see Ft. Myers destinations.

"We've been working with Southwest Florida International Airport for more than a decade, and it is fantastic to see our plans come to fruition," said Keith Taylor, Southwest Airline's Vice President of Revenue Management. "The fares are very competitive, and our schedule offers direct and connecting service to our West Coast destinations."

Southwest Airlines offers Southwest Florida Customers its biggest discounts with its advance purchase tickets. For example, Customers can head to Orlando for as little $29 one-way with Southwest Airline's 21-day advance purchase fares. Additionally, fares start as low as $79 one-way to Baltimore/Washington, Chicago Midway, Long Island/Islip, Orlando, and Philadelphia. To take advantage of these low fares, see Reservations .

"Southwest Airlines is known as the low fare leader, and our everyday low fares are a testament to that," said Taylor. "Not only are our advance purchase fares a bargain, but you'll never pay more than $299 one-way on Southwest Airlines for our walk-up fares and Customers are never charged a change fee -- it's a true bargain."

Southwest Airlines announced its flights and fares today at a press conference at Southwest Florida International Airport. Southwest Airlines will occupy two gates in the new terminal and will begin operations with around 50 Employees.

Fare rules: Tickets for $29 and $79 fares must be purchased at least 21 days before departure. Fares are valid for travel beginning October 2, 2005. Fares are available one-way and are combinable with all other fares. When combining fares, all ticketing restrictions apply. Seats are limited. Advertised fares may vary by flight and day of week and will not be available on some flights that operate during very busy travel times. Fares do not include a $3.20 federal segment tax per takeoff and landing; airport-assessed passenger facility charges (PFC) of up to $9 one-way; and U.S. government- imposed September 11th Security Fees of up to $5 one-way. Fares are subject to change until ticketed. Tickets are nonrefundable but may be applied toward the purchase of future travel on Southwest Airlines. Fares are valid on Southwest-operated published, scheduled service only and are not available through the Group Desk. Any change in itinerary may result in an increase in fare.

With the addition of its Ft. Myers service, Southwest Airlines will operate more than 3,000 daily flights to 61 cities in 31 states. Southwest Airlines employs more than 31,000 people nationwide.

Looking at those routes, I'd say that Southwest has taken time to choose their routes very carefully.

Orlando - nobody flies this route currently. Anyone know how much O/D there will be on this route? Connecting traffic is not a dominant part of Southwest's business model.

Chicago - Actually lots of competition. AA, UA, and Spirit all serve ORD; ATA serves MDW. SW offers a lot of connection opportunites, however. Again, how much O/D will they see on this route?

Philadelphia - only US Airways overlaps. Southwest will own this route because US airways is used to getting clobbered by Southwest and people hate US Airways.

Baltimore - AirTran already flies to BWI on this route as well as DCA. Indy Air flies to IAD. This might be a tougher market than Southwest realizes - it's not like they are the first to offer 'low fares' in these markets considering they are now owned by LCCs. Unless they are going to be dependent on connecting traffic - which goes against Southwest's business model as I said earlier - then how well will this really do?

Islip - are you kidding me? I'd be surprised if this survived. I guess if you must fly to Long Island you could choose Southwest over JetBlue or Song, but why? Both airlines offer the same fares and a better product.

I think the choices of MDW, BWI, and PHL are good but I'm questioning the growth opportunities for Southwest out of RSW. As I said before, this is a market that is dominated by low-fare/low-cost carriers. It's not like Southwest is really bringing anything new other than ugly planes. ;)

TheDog2004 said:
Philadelphia - only US Airways overlaps. Southwest will own this route because US airways is used to getting clobbered by Southwest and people hate US Airways.
[post="281858"][/post]​

Just a little correction. Airtran flies PHL-RSW seasonally. For the past 2 or 3 years they fly the route between Feb-June i think.

Islip - doesn't sound so crazy to me. In 1999 and 2000, Spirit operated one daily roundtrip in the RSW-ISP market. The market went from 21,000 in 1998 to 82,000 in 1999. If Spirit can stimulate the market like that, I'm sure Southwest will have no problems duplicating or performing better than Spirit. By the way, Song has announced their pulling out of the JFK-RSW market in the next couple of months.

jimmyd said:
Islip - doesn't sound so crazy to me. In 1999 and 2000, Spirit operated one daily roundtrip in the RSW-ISP market. The market went from 21,000 in 1998 to 82,000 in 1999. If Spirit can stimulate the market like that, I'm sure Southwest will have no problems duplicating or performing better than Spirit. By the way, Song has announced their pulling out of the JFK-RSW market in the next couple of months.
[post="281894"][/post]​

But JetBlue is not, and that's the real competition on that route.

Southwest is in a new world now. They have made a living devouring US Airways to build their east and west coast route networks. Now they have to fight other LCCs in order to continue to grow. They can no longer say 'we will free you with low fares!' because the low fares are already there.

This will be interesting to watch. I'm sure Southwest will stick around RSW but how much will they be able to grow there?

TheDog2004 said:
Islip - are you kidding me? I'd be surprised if this survived. I guess if you must fly to Long Island you could choose Southwest over JetBlue or Song, but why?
[post="281858"][/post]​
As a Long Islander, I prefer to fly WN from ISP rather than anyone else from JFK. Often, JFK is downright painful to get to because of traffic jams on the Belt Parkway, Southern State Parkway, Van Wyck Expressway, take your pick. That's the part of the JetBlue travel experience they don't advertise. The convenience of ISP more than offsets the small benefit of watching TV on board. SWA service is very good and comfort is surprisingly good; I'm about 6 foot 2 and appreciate the legroom on SWA. As long as SWA keeps me happy, I'll continue to be a customer.

As a regular on Southwest in/out of Detroit, it's always great to have a new destination in which it will be necessary to connect through Midway. Maybe someday Southwest will surprise me with a new non-stop from DTW.

TheDog2004 said:
Looking at those routes, I'd say that Southwest has taken time to choose their routes very carefully.

Orlando - nobody flies this route currently. Anyone know how much O/D there will be on this route? Connecting traffic is not a dominant part of Southwest's business model.

Chicago - Actually lots of competition. AA, UA, and Spirit all serve ORD; ATA serves MDW. SW offers a lot of connection opportunites, however. Again, how much O/D will they see on this route?

Baltimore - AirTran already flies to BWI on this route as well as DCA. Indy Air flies to IAD. This might be a tougher market than Southwest realizes - it's not like they are the first to offer 'low fares' in these markets considering they are now owned by LCCs. Unless they are going to be dependent on connecting traffic - which goes against Southwest's business model as I said earlier - then how well will this really do?

Islip - are you kidding me? I'd be surprised if this survived. I guess if you must fly to Long Island you could choose Southwest over JetBlue or Song, but why? Both airlines offer the same fares and a better product.

I think the choices of MDW, BWI, and PHL are good but I'm questioning the growth opportunities for Southwest out of RSW. As I said before, this is a market that is dominated by low-fare/low-cost carriers. It's not like Southwest is really bringing anything new other than ugly planes. ;)
[post="281858"][/post]​

Your making bad assumptions. You are assuming they have to fill a empt 737, in reality I suspect they will have continuing passengers as they do DAL-HOU-CRP or DAL-HOU-HLN

Latest posts

Back