Plane Damaged At Rsw

BoeingBoy

Veteran
Nov 9, 2003
FORT MYERS, April 13, 2004 — Heavy winds at Southwest Florida International Airport blew a plane into a jet bridge, the ramp used to passengers on and off the plane, around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday as the plane was being readied at gate A1A for a 5:30 flight to Charlotte.

Coverage

Jim

Boys & Girls,

Take it from an old man that's been around long enough to know that Murphy's Law is alive and well.....

If it's windy, if you think it might get windy, if you aren't sure it won't get windy.....leave the parking brake set. It's cheap insurance.

Jim

Stupid question from somebody without an ATP or any heavy jet experience:

In someplace like RSW (where it presumably does not drop below freezing that much in April), why would one not set the brake (especially overnight)?

Clue,

Because procedure is to release the parking brake once the chocks are in, except for certain stations due to the slope of the ramp and when the ramp is slick (ice, snow). For my money, procedure is no substitute for common sense, though.

Jim

Winds were 35 G 41 from the South at the time of the accident. Could have done a lot more damage trying to land in those conditions. Only an hour earlier, the report was 8 knots from the SW.

Just a little breeze down here. And it's not even the season yet.

Excerpted from an article on the storm damage:

Storms also rolled through Lee County on Tuesday. At Southwest Florida International Airport, powerful winds blew a U.S. Airways jet into the jet bridge that connects the aircraft to the terminal, airport spokeswoman Laska Ryan said. The accident occurred at 3:30 a.m., more than two hours before the flight was scheduled to depart for Charlotte, N.C. There were no passengers onboard.

The jet bridge at Gate A5 was being assessed for damage Tuesday afternoon and was temporarily out of service, Ryan said. The jet received damage to the wing tip.

Jim

dell,

737-400. There's pictures at the link in the first post.

Jim

dell,

Sorry it wouldn't work for you - worked ok for me but it is somewhat slow. Best I can tell from the picture it pretty well mangled the left leading edge outboard of the leading edge devices, with the damage appearing to be limited to a 4-6" depth back from leading edge. You would know better than me what the possibility of more serious damage "below the skin" in that area is.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Boys & Girls,

Take it from an old man that's been around long enough to know that Murphy's Law is alive and well.....

If it's windy, if you think it might get windy, if you aren't sure it won't get windy.....leave the parking brake set. It's cheap insurance.

Jim
so is chocking the mains which was procedure with all RON a/c prior to merger on the PI side of things.

Sometimes the brake accumulators have a habit of bleeding off pressure over time, so proper procedure is to chock the wheels and in the case of a high wind advisory , also the mains on the aircraft.

It is SOP to chock the nose gear and one main on RON's.

If high winds are forecast, you chock the nose gear and both mains , plus moving the bridge as far as possible from the a/c, and chocking the bridge wheels.

I could be wrong, but I've been lead to believe the brakes are released after chocks in, because they are still hot from the landing (sometimes at night, you can see them glowing) and they could weld together.

Latest posts

Back