Staffing ...What me worry !!!

OldGuyinPA

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Is it just me, or does Dave really know how bad it is on the front line. How much does he really know? I''m a little tired of customers screeming at us because they been in line for 2 hours and we can''t process them to make their flight. Do we really want to drive away our customer base?? Most of the complaints to the regional managers are about line wait and lack of agents.

Dave just offer us something and we''ll all leave. Then you can lower your cost with new hires. The toilet is flushing and Dave doesn''t seem to have a clue. Maybe, just maybe he''s listening to the wrong guy.

C''mon, you want to leave all THIS?

ANd leave your flying privilages?
That can pay your bills and feed your family and pay your medical/dental.

Yes, our psgrs gripe too about waiting for 2 hrs...Next?

What cha'' gonna do?

They can wait,if not there are others with no lines.

I''m one person. When I get a complaint, I pass along N*CONSUMER AFFAIRS..

Happy Writing FOlks!

They listen not to the employees maybe they will to the complaint letters.
That get''s them where it hurts...

Start handing out those addresses..

----------------
The letters might help if you hand them the address of the D.O.T..WE work short all the time and still our flights depart on time.
10.gif

FYI,

Pleast try to avoid leaving an entire lengthy quote, unless you are commenting throughout that posting. This helps to streamline the boards and makes it easier to read.

When you reply, just don''t hit the "quote" button, unless you there is a specific quote.

Thanks everyone!

Eric

Austin not going to give us anything. {money} We are still overpaid employees, he''s going to make it miserable so we just leave with nothing. Just like what he thinks of us we''re NOTHING......

Three interesting asides (at least it is to me).

1. ACA (United Express) is advertising for agents in my city. So far, no takers. $8.50 just doesn't go very far up here. And the people they do have, can't ticket or do reissues. Actually they pretty good considering they have no training or support. When code-share problems occur, we go over to UA and print the tickets to paper and handle them at the US counter. Is it me or does code-share suck operationally?

2. We have an increasingly large group of customers who do not what to deal with the kiosk. In our city, we are required to direct the customer to the kiosk first for checkin. It seems our summer customers want to talk to a person not a machine.

3. Our totally unscientific and unreliable timings of kiosk vs. agent shows that 1 good agent can do the work of 4 kiosks and 1 lobby agent helping out front and 1 bag tag puller. This is when doing the same transactions. We didn't count the transactions the kiosk can currently do. So we have 4 machines and 2 agents doing the work of 1 agent. Airline efficiency at its best.

What happened to "impressions of excellence" . Oh...I forgot, we are not selling service anymore. We are selling space in an airplane, which if you think about it, it is like selling nothing which seems to be what we are the best at.

Well the bozos running the company are out of touch with the operation and they''ve always been out of touch. Tucked away in their cubicles or offices, they''re quite in touch with statistics, most of which are fed to them by those at lower management rungs (the charade at all company levels is everyone want to look good to those they must report), i.e. "We cut x-number of staff, we saved x-amount of dollars" or "x-number of kiosks processed x-number of passengers, saving x-number of dollars." Meanwhile, it''s WE who must face a line of customers snaking farther than the eye can see, waiting for a total of two or three agents to process four full flights departing within a 90 minute period! This of course assumes none of these agents take their well-deserved and LEGALLY ENTITLED break!
Then I notice the company proudly tooting its horn over on-time STATISTICS (there''s that word again) or how we received top position on the Airline Quality Rating. Of course these don''t reflect today''s performance but rather past day''s performance. Plus being on top doesn''t equate excellence. All carriers could have poor service, with some worse than others.
The bottom line is those frustrated people waiting in line don''t give a damn whether we were on-time 79.3 of the time and the competition scored worse at 79.2, 79.1, 79.0, etc.
While we know conditions suck, people are mad, and that having only two agents staffing a counter, the demands of our jobs haven''t decreased. In fact, the few agents on duty simply can''t offer decent service no matter how much they would prefer doing so. Multi-tasking has its limits. Eventually one may have to do several things at the same time, but none will be done well.
One last thought. It also wouldn''t hurt if the training department (the people theoretically responsible for having capable agents), and management could see to it that agents truly know their jobs. If were going to have only two or three agents working the counter, it doesn''t help if with every third passenger, the agents don''t know what to do and either call the help desk or ask another agent for assistance. Suddenly those three agents are reduced to one or two every 10-15 minutes because someone doesn''t know how to handle a pet charge or even reissue a ticket. Training appears more focused upon covering the company''s a** from government rules than truly training. When we are "trained" every year about fire safety, via a computer lesson, something is wrong. There''s no way I''m going to learn how to operate a fire extinguisher by reading instructions on a monitor! I assume the company is fulfilling some government requirement and can document compliance. When it comes to agents knowing how to do their jobs, its the lowest of priorities. Three capable agents can handle a long line far better than two bad, one good. But then again, in the eyes of the company, three agents are equal to three agents, regardless of their quality. We''re just numbers (statistics) after all.
Whew. I feel much better now.