It''s not just Philadelphia...It''s all over the system

I worked a LGW trip on July 6 (Sunday night of the July 4th weekend). We were delayed for a sick call from the MAD flight. (Scheduling stole our 9th f/a to replace MAD''s 9th) Due to a misprint on the pilots FOM, we had to wait for that 9th f/a, even though we were legal with 8. As we were waiting to get on the a/c, which arrived late from SJU, I saw Sherry Hendry (VP Inflight) and Dave Chapla (PHL Base Manager). They were out on a Sunday night at 9pm, on a holday weekend, checking up on why our International flights are always late (seems the f/a''s are always blamed even though the a/c comes in late, the cleaners are late, or catering isn''t done correctly)So, at least some of our managers are out doing their jobs. Of course, I don''t know what they can do about late arriving a/c, or misprints in FOM''s.

PSA -

Inflight is not the only department that is out and about in PHL to trouble shoot problems. Management level employees from all over the system are being sent to PHL to see what can be done. At least 5-10 station managers were sent there to observe and recommend changes. It is obvious that everyone knows there is a huge problem there and I am encouraged that steps are being taken to improve the hub performance, including recalling agents.

I am glad to hear that managers are about and trying to fix problems in PHL. I was not implying that the cleaners or catering were not doing their jobs, only that they are so understaffed, things don''t get done correctly. The agents are so understaffed, we can''t even get down to the airplane until someone is free to let us in.

Mark, I do not care if Dave as anything to do with staffing or not. What I DO CARE about is the fact that the man is the CEO of OUR company and he is out of touch with what is happening with our product. Years ago Delta let too many agents go and recalled them when they realized that their product was substandard. That is our problem now, our planes our dirty, our customers recieve poor service from both C/S and Fleet (bags late to claim), we take needless maintenance delay waiting on vendors. Also a BIG part of the blame needs to be put on Marketing, they need to adjust minimum connecting time at many of our cities.

Hope -

I do agree that we have cut to many people. Staffing levels are well below minimums required to get the job done right. Hopefully that is being addressed and PHL is the first station to benefit from it.