Standing Room Only!

Jul 25, 2005
Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Airbus considering standing-room-only airline seats, report says

If you think legroom is bad now, then get ready for “standing-room only†seating. The New York Times (free registration) writes that “Airbus has been quietly pitching the standing-room-only option to Asian carriers, though none have agreed to it yet. Passengers in the standing section would be propped against a padded backboard, held in place with a harness, according to experts who have seen a proposal.†One proposal apparently involves Airbus' A380 model, which will be the world’s largest commercial jet when it enters service in the coming years. A “typical configuration†calls for the jet to seat about 500 passengers, but that number could balloon to 853 with standing-room-only seats. (Check out the Times' website to see their graphic showing what such seats could look like.)

"To call it a seat would be misleading," says Volker Mellert, a physics professor at Oldenburg University in Germany, who has studied airline seat comfort and has seen the proposed standing-room-only design. He says that if any airlines ever decided to use such a “seating†configuration, it would most-likely be used only on short-haul flights in densely populated areas like Japan. The Times says an Airbus spokeswoman “played down the idea that Airbus was trying to sell an aircraft that accommodated 853 passengers,†though she would not comment on the “upright-seating proposal.†Would such seats fly in the USA? Apparently, it would be possible. According to the Times, the Federal Aviation Administration requires that passengers only be “secured†for takeoff and landing, but not necessarily “in a sitting position.â€

Would you ever consider buying a "standing-room-only" ticket? Is this a good idea, or a recipe for disaster?

I could see mebbe on a small plane, for a short hop...less than 1 hour.
But on a long haul? No Way.
Its hard to just get pax to loosely fasten their seatbelts.
I can't imagine trying to get them to fasten a 'harness' every time the sign is turned on!

Look on the bright side - stand-up "seating" would cure the carry-on problem since the overhead bins would have to go and there'd be no underseat space. Check everything a passenger doesn't want to hold for the duration of the flight... :lol: :lol:

Jim

I knew it! They promised piano bars, but instead it's this:

oadhc8dc3.jpg

The model has the pax. in a semi-squat position. What the heck is that?

How close is the seat in front of them? How can you stand in a semi squat position. That would place the weight on the knees. Are these seats for adults only???

That looks like a designated "non-rev" seat to me....

Stupid is as stupid does.

Look on the bright side - stand-up "seating" would cure the carry-on problem since the overhead bins would have to go and there'd be no underseat space. Check everything a passenger doesn't want to hold for the duration of the flight... :lol: :lol:

Jim

I wouldn't be flying that airline if those were the only seats available. Folks want to carry on their computers and some overnight bag. They don't want to check everything because more often than not, your luggage that gets checked doesn't show up when you arrive. And on connecting flights, that's an issue too.

Airlines already have a baggage arrival problem.

It wouldn't surprise me if the continent of Asia embraced the idea. If you've ever spent sometime over there you'd see the potential for such a move. The way I read the orginal article...it was the customer wanting Airbus to explore the possibility...not Airbus trying to sell to the customer.

Latest posts

Back