State says about 100 jobs at risk as Delta changes MSP cleaners

perhaps if a new contractor can do the work with 100 less employees, then it might explain why they won the contract.

You do realize Delta owns Delta Global Services (DGS) who currently does the work and now wont be, says a lot when the outsourcing company owns who performs the outsourcing, then outsources themselves.

DGS has never been given a preferential contracting relationship with DL. They have to win the work they do on the same basis as any other contractor.

Good point 700, but sad to say almost laughable now that you put it that way.  I also find it odd that 100 employees are looking at lay-offs while Delta is making record profits.
Article states:  "Delta, the airports dominate carrier, didn't expect job losses as a result of the move.

Then the statement comes: "leaves 100 at risk of being laid off".

you do realize that part of the reason why companies use contractors is to help protect the jobs of their own employees?

last time I checked, US did not lay off EN employees    now did they

I have no idea who EN employees are so I couldn't say.

Apples and Oranges once again.
only because you don't want to see that contracting is contracting is contracting....

WorldTraveler said:

you do realize that part of the reason why companies use contractors is to help protect the jobs of their own employees?

Most asinine statement ever made on the boards.

Lets outsource jobs to save jobs, if you really believe that I have some ocean front property in AZ for you to purchase.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm sorry that you don't understand the concept but contract workers have long been a means by which companies can use to reduce costs in areas that don't require the expertise or the longevity that their own employees provide.

The world of outsourcing is very much a part of the way the world does business and in many cases, airlines in other countries and other industries within the US do it to a far greater degree than the US legacy airlines.

The protection of high paying jobs at US legacy airlines will require that certain functions be relegated to contractors.

swell then wt  lets go ahead and replace the pilots and fas since you feel that way    youre truly unbelievable     whats even worse is even a contractor for dl is being replaced   what a bunch of cheapskate outfit

Hiring vendors and outsourcing cuts mainline jobs.

Even you should understand that process.

You are clueless WT.

I assume that DGS is a lower-wage/lower-benefit subsidiary of Delta (ala American Eagle Airlines, soon to be Envoy) that provides ground handling services?   

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't say that DL should cut any more jobs or that outsourcing didn't originally cut jobs that were done by mainline employees.

I said and Josh confirmed that these are jobs that are rotating from one contractor to another and have been outsourced for years. Tell me what airlines worldwide continue to do their own cabin cleaning.

And whether you want to hear it or not, there will be a need to contract out a certain level of job at any large company because contractors can do things cheaper on less of a long-term basis than what a company's employees require.

If you don't understand the concept of subcontracting now, it will become increasingly common because that is exactly what Obamacare is doing - incentivizing companies to not make long term commitments to employees but rather to use short term contractors to the greatest extent possible.

Yes, FWA, your assessment is correct. And as we know, AE doesn't have a lock on work that AA wishes to contract out anymore than DGS has it for DL.

WorldTraveler said:
I'm sorry that you don't understand the concept but contract workers have long been a means by which companies can use to reduce costs in areas that don't require the expertise or the longevity that their own employees provide.

The world of outsourcing is very much a part of the way the world does business and in many cases, airlines in other countries and other industries within the US do it to a far greater degree than the US legacy airlines.
And I'm sorry you are trying to rationalize it.

700 & Robbed-- Don't bother. The discussion will simply go in circles so long as WT & others continue to see workers as merely "cost centers" as opposed to revenue generators.

I'm rationalizing nothing. I am explaining that this is work that hasn't been done by Delta employees for years and a contract is being changed in order to reduce DL's costs.

DO you demand that your grocer, day care center, or public school continue to keep workers on the payroll, even if they aren't even their workers - because some other company can do the work cheaper?

Where is your ire at the paperboard supplier to your local dairy that changed contracts because someone else could do the job cheaper?

And finally, in order to keep THEIR jobs, are you volunteering to cut your salary - and did you find support for that from your coworkers?

I'm rationalizing nothing.
Sure ya are. It's exactly what you're doing.

BTW, excellent attempt at flipping, but once again no go...

If you want to drive a wedge between M/L employees and the people causing increased downward pressure on them, go right ahead.

The discussion shouldn't be one of my (mainline) salary being cut- it should be one of wages being raised all around. When you can grasp that, we can have a discussion. Until then stop wasting everyone's f**king time.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not flipping and I'm not driving wedges.

The pie is only so big.

GO ahead and come up with a budget that includes raises for everyone and then jump on a jet to Atlanta and pass it around Mahogany Row.

you'll get your mug in High Res on deltanet for the next year if you can figure out how to pass out the pay raises to everyone that you think should get them and still leave a little something to pay for fuel, airplane parts, and the phone bill - you know the other companies that have companies with employees that expect to be paid.

Ok so if they are saving money, then why doesn't it go back to the current mainline employees?

and $500M PLUS in profit sharing isn't a benefit to the mainline employees?

Tell me again what each of the more heavily union represented carriers gave to their employees in profit sharing.

If you added the entire US industry together, would it come up to $500M?

go ahead and find the answer; you're good at using the internet.

meanwhile the promised windfall for US workers from the AA merger aren't happening despite union support? WHAT?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/12632498/1/american-airlines-merger-left-us-airways-workers-behind-five-unions-say.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

has someone been robbedyetagain?

How many different things are you going to throw out instead of sticking to the topic at hand?

Profit Sharing isnt guaranteed, and what if DL doesnt make a profit?

And DL arbitrarily cut the payout by 33%, and yes you are going to say they earned more in this year, and the only reason they did was because DL's profits increased.

Which is a greater payout, 15% or 10%?

WN, UA, AA and US all have profit sharing for various union groups that negotiated it.

Spin away.

Bottom line is jobs were lost and are going to be lost, DL could bring the work in-house and CREATE jobs, not outsource them!

Latest posts