Station Mgr Job Duties

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Below is a job listing from the The Hub for station manager. Two questions for the group. (Let's keep things civil; this is a usairways.com forum, after all.)

1. The listing reads like US East stn mgr job descriptions have for years; how does it compare to premerger HP listings for the position?

2. How do the duties and the order in which they are listed compare to the "real world"?.

Be a customer advocate, maintaining a high level of customer service delivery by all station personnel. Lead a supervisory team and a complement of front line employees to meet department and corporate goals. Develop employees to their fullest potential providing employees with frequent positive and corrective feedback. Maximize operational performance adjusting to changes in operational conditions and pro-actively solving problems, including but not limited to on-time performance and efficient ticket counter/gate operation and baggage/cargo handling. Maintain optimum employee morale by proper and consistent application of disciplinary action and commendatory measures. Develop all functions of station activity within budget constraints and with an emphasis on customer service and safety. Provide adequate safeguards for station funds and company property. Become acquainted with local business and civic leaders and participate in community activities.

That job description sounds nothing like what I observe at work. Half of the agents have no idea who the station manager is or what she looks like. I guess those tasks in the job description are simply delegated away to subordinates.

Maybe that's why people grouse about how out of touch upper management is.

C'mon folks, let's not turn this thread into a bashing of indivdual station managers. Another thread could be started for that. :)
My first quetion was if the job description differs from one for a station manager at HP.

The second question is whether the listed duties resemble how station managers actually do operate. Since I started the thread, I'll take a run at it.

- Be a customer advocate. (For the sake of the this discussion, let's assume that it refers to external customers only.) Sadly, I have seen more than one case of managers who have great difficulty seeing things from the customers' perspective. (Examples range from "encouraging" agents to force customers to the kiosk to refusing to return a elite customer' phone call.)

- Consistent application of of disciplinary and commendatory measures.
(Sidenote: I think the order in which these measures are placed in the job listing is questionable.) All to often I have seen an overemphasis on the disciplinary side of things, and not enough done to recognize positive contributions of employees.

True, the job of station manager is not to win a popularity contest. It does seem, however, that they are often very negatively perceived by their employees, at least in US East, and often perceived as being overly concerned with "the numbers". Forgetting those numbers are the means, not the end.

They should add this to the job description:

"Not required to actually do anything or get your hands dirty".

We're supposed to contact them on occasion...never seen one step up to the plate yet. Case in point. DEN, one cold morning and the company we contracted with to service the airplanes didn't dump the water tanks or leave heat on the airplanes. Station manager's responce: nada

Well, in his defense, it was the weekend :down: . If it weren't for some great west mechanics who came over and got us thawed out, it would have been much worse. It wasn't their job to do this at the time. Bottom line...the front line employees showing tremendous initiative made the difference, NOT the invisible station manager.

A320 Driver B)

I really believe this description is of a station manager on the West side. I know cause I've seen both sides--as you all know. Every station manager I've come in contact with in the West--yes they do take calls from CSD if we can't find the right way to handle a situation and they are very very friendly and suportive of their agents. Not what I used to hear from the East side--guys this is a NEW airline run by a very savy CEO.
No, I haven't gotten my seniority back--don't think I will now unless I grieve it on the East side--cause the unions got together and said no. What does that tell you. But---I am still very happy and proud to be on the West side and will work my way up again. Easties--just give it a chance and enjoy your job again. Did you notice the part about good morale. That's important.

I really believe this description is of a station manager on the West side. I know cause I've seen both sides--as you all know....

.. Did you notice the part about good morale. That's important.

That's why I was curious to know what an HP Station Mgr job description would look like. You are so right about the morale aspect; it's actaully been part of the East Stn Mgr duties. Sadly, many station managers do not make a priority or do it espeially well. In many locales, there is a an emphasis on documenting errors made by employees rather than recognizing positive contributions; one Northeastern station manager has not issued any employee commendations in over a year.

A great many East station employees are looking forward the HP corporate culture making inroads.

A great many East station employees are looking forward the HP corporate culture making inroads.

This is why it is my personal opinion that they shouldn't have set up the station mgrs the way they did. East coast cities basically went to the old "East" mgrs and west coast cities went to the old "west" mgrs. I think everyone should have had to reapply for their old jobs.
But I understand the logistics of this made it impossible.
I think we are starting to see changes in the mgr line up pretty quickly moving those who don't have the "new attitude". I am on the list to get the station mgr list when it comes out and I have been getting lots of updates. Like at least 1 to 2 times a month. It will take some time but I hope the HP culture will spread.
One comment I do want to make regarding the way HP does IT support compared to the East side.
I am finding that a number of people are used to calling a number and washing their hands of any technical issue. They are used to getting someone to come to their field station within 2 hours. This is not the way HP does it. This is big amount of the reason I think US had money problems. You paid big time for this! We are a LCC. We do it totally differently.
1. Depending on how busy we are and right now we are really busy. It can take up to a day to get a call back, sometimes it can be 15 min.
2. We expect you to be our eyes and ears and hands.
3. We do not send a technicion to a station to plug in, move 1 pc, add memory, replace a keyboard ect unless we are doing a whole station move. HP people have done all this themselves for years.
4. If something needs to be done to the pc, printer ect. You box it up and ship it in....when the tech tells you to.
Otherwise we can remote into a pc and do want needs to be done through the network. If you see this PLEASE do not interfer....or turn off the pc!
5. Use the server to store your info. If you don't understand this ask. We will even put a shortcut on your desktop.
5. We will be coming to each and every field station and replacing all outdated equipment. But it won't happen overnight. It can be till next spring before we get to your station. We understand the problems but please understand ours.
Sorry to rant and going a little off subject but it's been a hard day! :p
....I am 63 years old...I don't do that.....We always had someone here within 2 hours....