airlines:

Capacity down.
Employee count down.
Employee salaries down.
Passenger totals down.
Profits down.

Executive salaries up.

Specifics here in article

As employees worked more for less, the average revenue generated per employee increased by an astounding 53% as it went from $209,000 per employee to over $319,000.

While 155,000 jobs were lost and the average revenue per employee increased by over $110,000; general management wages/salaries as reported on DOT41 forms, increased by 44% as it climbed from $243 million to $350 million.

I need more Kool AAid to wash this down

:blink:

I wondered if anyone beside me would notice that interesting juxtaposition of data. I didn't post because all I could think to say was "Have they no shame?"

Same old story, same old data. Nothing that we don't already know here. When and how does the trend come to an end? That’s the real story. I fear things will continue to get worse before they get better. My guess would be that if things deteriorate enough, the government will step in. I would be fairly sure the execs don't want that so they'll hobble along as best they can. I.E. "I got mine". Everything will be mediocre and flat until there are dramatic improvements in the economy. Or, if the economy continues to struggle, eventually the other shoe will drop and the industry as we know it will again transform into who knows what.

Same old story, same old data. Nothing that we don't already know here. When and how does the trend come to an end? That’s the real story. I fear things will continue to get worse before they get better. My guess would be that if things deteriorate enough, the government will step in. I would be fairly sure the execs don't want that so they'll hobble along as best they can. I.E. "I got mine". Everything will be mediocre and flat until there are dramatic improvements in the economy. Or, if the economy continues to struggle, eventually the other shoe will drop and the industry as we know it will again transform into who knows what.
One big problem is there are no long term CEO's any longer.

They all look at the five years or so they will be in charge. Take the money and run.

A look at airline capacity cuts
By The Associated Press September 12, 2009, 4:12 PM ET

Most major U.S. airlines plan to offer fewer flights this fall than they did a year ago as they adjust to weak demand.
Here's a look at recent announcements from the carriers, who are listed in descending order of size based on capacity in August. The figures include both "mainline" and regional affiliates for each company.

Passenger-carrying capacity is measured in "available seat miles" or ASMs -- miles flown times seats on the planes. A 150-seat jet flying 100 miles (160 kilometers) equals 15,000 available seat miles.

-- Delta Air Lines Inc. (21.6 billion ASMs in August, down 3.2 percent from August 2008): Said in July that third-quarter capacity would be 4 percent to 5 percent less than a year earlier, with deeper cuts in international flying than domestic routes. Mainline capacity on Delta will be lower by between 5 percent and 7 percent.

-- American Airlines parent AMR Corp. (14.1 billion ASMs, down 9.2 percent): Said in July that third-quarter capacity would be 8.5 percent less than a year earlier, with the cuts 10.5 percent on domestic routes.

-- United parent UAL Corp. (12.8 billion ASMs, down 6.2 percent): United says it will cut international capacity an additional 7 percent in the last four months of this year. The company had previously said mainline capacity -- excluding regional affiliates -- would fall by between 9 percent and 10 percent for the year.

-- Continental Airlines Inc. (10.2 billion ASMs, down 6 percent): Estimates third-quarter capacity will be down 5.1 percent from a year ago, with deeper cuts on domestic routes. Mainline capacity will shrink 4.7 percent.

-- Southwest Airlines Co. (8.3 billion ASMs, down 6.1 percent): Said in July that capacity for the full year would be 5 percent to 6 percent lower than 2008. The decline is expected to be 6 percent in the third quarter, 8 percent in the fourth compared to the same quarters in 2008.

-- US Airways Group Inc. (6.7 billion ASMs, down 3.9 percent): For all of 2009, capacity will be down between 4 percent and 6 percent compared to 2008.

-- JetBlue Airways Corp. (3 billion ASMs, up 0.6 percent): In contrast to bigger carriers, expects an increase in third-quarter capacity of between 1 percent and 3 percent from a year earlier. Fourth-quarter capacity is expected to be up between 3 percent and 5 percent over a year earlier.

Source: Company officials, press releases

Back