Study to become pilot?

Blackhawk84

May 18, 2011
Hi! new to this forum

I am 26 years old, i've been thinking along time about becoming a pilot, now i Have to possibility to do that, i have friends that are pilots and they all say go for it.
What i am worried about is the employment market, will there be work?

All comments are welcome

Thanks

Plenty of work. But do you want to spend $50,000-$$100,000 for a chance to earn $20,000?
Of course it could take you 1-4 years to get that first job.
Become a dentist.

Take some introductory rides - many FBO's give them. If you like what you see, feel, experience, start on the private license. Take it a step at a time.

As Gabby implied, the profession generally isn't what it was 2 decades ago. If you don't love flying, you'll probably be unhappy doing it for a career at crappy wages for years until (or if) you can get a good flying job.

Jim

Although it may take you awhile to get your ratings, now is the time to start. The mandatory retirement age was changed to 65 a few years back and that will kick in again next year in December. There will be a lot of pilots that will have to retire, which will leave plenty of jobs in the coming years. Good luck.

Although it may take you awhile to get your ratings, now is the time to start. The mandatory retirement age was changed to 65 a few years back and that will kick in again next year in December. There will be a lot of pilots that will have to retire, which will leave plenty of jobs in the coming years. Good luck.

Don't count on that.

The "looming pilot shortage" has been the buzzword of the industry since the mid-1970s. It hasn't happened yet nearly 40 years later. That's a generation and a half of a false rumor. And it likely will never happen.

The thing about pilots is that they like flying airplanes. I get that. But it is absolutely essential for a young newcomer to the profession have a lucrative Plan B in his/her back pocket in order to weather the inevitable downturns and possible burnout. Become a lawyer, or dentist, or doctor, or CPA, or funeral director, or start and grow a business BEFORE you pursue a piloting career. You will thank me for that bit of advice. I can almost guarantee it. I hope you follow it, and happy flying!

Latest posts