Aircrew Stress Study

DocSullivan

Oct 26, 2003
Hawaii, USA
aircrewhealth.com
I'm a research psychologist who is studying stress encountered by aircrew (both pilots and cabin crew) at work and in their personal lives, how they cope, and the effects on their health. I'd like to invite all of you who are currently employed, or recently furloughed (say, in the last year) to participate in our study.

Participants fill in an anonymous survey which is on-line. The questionnaire is in English. All nationalities are welcome, and crew from all kinds of operations (mainlines, regionals, non-scheds, business/corporate) are encouraged to participate in this important study.

Details can be found at the study's webpage:

AirCrewStudy.com

There are links on the webpage to the questionnaire.

This is a scientific, not a commercial study. WE ARE NOT SELLING ANYTHING.

Hello Everyone -

It's time to give you folks an update on the AirCrew Stress Study. I have good news to report.

I wrote a paper based on data from the early participants in the study, and it has been accepted for presentation at an international scientific conference in Feb. 2004 -- specifically, the annual conference of the Society for Cross-Cultural Research. :)

I want to thank members of this forum who responded to my initial invitation to participate in the study by filling in the on-line survey. Some of you also provided additional information by contacting me directly. I am very grateful to all those who participated, because if you had not supplied the data, I could not have written the paper!

B)

(By the way, if anyone reading this has not yet participated, but would like to do so, it's not too late. We're still collecting data. Go to AirCrewStudy.com and click on the link to the on-line survey.)

One more thing: I am beginning to post to the website some reports on what we have found out so far (starting with demographics -- 30 nationalities so far!). Since this is such a complex dataset, the results will be posted topic by topic. As more data accumulates, we'll post updates as necessary to what has already been reported.

Once again, many thanks to all who have participated in the study. I greatly appreciate your input.

:up:

Happy Landings! -- and Happy Holidays!

THE AVIATION COMMUNITY 9/11 PROJECT

Hello again!

The very successful Aircrew Stress Study -- the project mentioned in the posts above -- has now spawned several follow-up projects. One of the most important is the Aviation Community 9/11 Project.

In the original Aircrew Stress Study we did not ask any questions at all about the events of 9/11, but MANY crewmembers who participated in the survey volunteered stories about their experiences on that day, and in the aftermath. Many others commented on how their jobs and their lives had changed since then.

While people working in the aviation industry were among the most immediately and accutely affected by the events of Sept. 11, 2001, it seems that little attention was paid to those people -- by the press, for example. Judging from what the stress study participants wrote, they really wanted to have a chance to say their piece, but were never given an opportunity.

We have decided to give people in the aviation community an organized way to tell their own stories about 9/11 and what has happened to them since that time. We are collecting stories about Sept. 11, 2001 and its aftermath from people in the aviation community through a questionnaire on our website.

Participants in the Aviation Community 9/11 Project write a few sentences or several paragraphs to tell about their 9/11 experiences, and how they have been affected by those events in the longer term. Participants are free to decide what they want to tell about, and how much they want to say.

As with all of our studies, participation is anonymous.

We will compile the contributed stories into an "in-depth" magazine article, or perhaps a book, depending on how much material we get. We'll also post some of those stories -- or parts of them - on our website after data collection is finished.

Participation in the Aviation Community 9/11 Project is open to anyone with any connection to aviation, in the broadest sense. This includes aircrews and ground personnel, as well as family members of aviation personnel. We are also interested in hearing from people who were passengers on 9/11 and in the early days afterward.

For more information about this project, or to participate, please visit:

Aviation911.com

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this.

Latest posts